Credits and copyright.

Well, reading the topics, and as Kalcor mentions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
For now they'll remain in the game's native format, unless I find a good reason to switch from it.

It's nearly impossible to protect content from theft. They can fish the model from the video card memory if they were desperate. Servers using stolen models will be treated like servers using stolen script: they run the risk of being removed from the server lists.
I suppose that the only way to 'respect' the copyright, and to know that person is the author of a Model created in the Server, is verifying the following, and observing the credits.

1) In the event that a Server is reported for theft and use of Material without authorization from the person who created the Model, this person must show that they have the original files of the models created, and images of their credits, in order to take action against those who stole the material.

2) Demonstrate that the credits left in the 'txd' files belongs to the real author, since in case the person who stole the material, delete this image, the author will have the original copy to prove that it is his property, therefore, the Server that stole material without permission will be removed.

I, for example, am doing the following.

Click on me to open the link.

Well, making all this clear.
As Kalcor mentions, and as I said before, at least this is my 'idea' of how to have proof, if the Material of your Servers is stolen.

My question is; Is this valid as evidence?

I think you attach too much importance to this. All this can result in a ban on the use of the whole of the world as a whole.

Why do you guys care too much about those objects? this is GTA not The Sims I don't care if you have a furniture with 200 exclusive items, still same shit

Do something that really has a impact on your gameplay

Look, there was always the possibility of stealing maps, but you've never seen other servers on your maps in it. In addition, if you know of a server that downloaded your models, you can simply report that it will suffer some punishment.

I can take your txd and add my own image
after report your server - you use my texture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKStyle
View Post
I think you attach too much importance to this. All this can result in a ban on the use of the whole of the world as a whole.
For us, the Spanish community is important, and for me it is important, because it is useless to waste my effort making objects, so that another person comes and steals it.
If you like to have your things stolen, well, I respect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skream
View Post
Why do you guys care too much about those objects? this is GTA not The Sims I don't care if you have a furniture with 200 exclusive items, still same shit

Do something that really has a impact on your gameplay
I'll tell you the same as the subject above.
For us, the Spanish community is important, and for me it is important, because it is useless to waste my effort making objects, so that another person comes and steals it.
If you like to have your things stolen, well, I respect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky_
View Post
Look, there was always the possibility of stealing maps, but you've never seen other servers on your maps in it. In addition, if you know of a server that downloaded your models, you can simply report that it will suffer some punishment.
That's what I want to say, if I'm going to inform, I need proof, or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAWN_METAL
View Post
I can take your txd and add my own image
after report your server - you use my texture!
No, because I have the date of creation of my txd, the date of the images, I have the original files, you can take it, but I have proofs just by showing the date of the files.

Why do people assume that they can do whatever they like with other peoples works, just because they say it's their work...

This is not how this shit works... at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew_Sumi
View Post
Why do people assume that they can do whatever they like with other peoples works, just because they say it's their work...

This is not how this shit works... at all...
I do not understand why the English community gets upset about this issue, since it is something important for their community, but from what I see, everyone likes to have their materials stolen.
It's not about doing what they want just because it's our job, it's about at least having authorization to use that job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllidanS4
View Post
Well, the files could always be signed some way.

But I propose we begin solving this once the problem arises.
Yes, I agree, anyway, in some way you should be cautious, in case this happens, the person author of the models, have proof to teach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaikerH
View Post
I do not understand why the English community gets upset about this issue, since it is something important for their community, but from what I see, everyone likes to have their materials stolen.
It's not about doing what they want just because it's our job, it's about at least having authorization to use that job.
But in some sense, you are simply saying that you're fine, as long as you put credits up, WHICH IS NOT HOW THIS WORKS.

I can't see why anyone even thinks this is how you go about getting authorization... It's like you think that writing something on a letterhead from the president, makes it official.

You aren't asking for permission, you are simply throwing someone elses work on your server, mentioning them in the credits, but you AREN'T ASKING FOR AUTHORIZATION TO DO SO...

I really can't understand why people cannot understand the word 'authorization', doesn't mean simply giving a notice, that "XXX made ZZZ" is enough to allow you usage.

Quote:
View Post
But in some sense, you are simply saying that you're fine, as long as you put credits up, WHICH IS NOT HOW THIS WORKS.

I can't see why anyone even thinks this is how you go about getting authorization... It's like you think that writing something on a letterhead from the president, makes it official.

You aren't asking for permission, you are simply throwing someone elses work on your server, mentioning them in the credits, but you AREN'T ASKING FOR AUTHORIZATION TO DO SO...

I really can't understand why people cannot understand the word 'authorization', doesn't mean simply giving a notice, that "XXX made ZZZ" is enough to allow you usage.
I'll be back and I'll repeat.
What I want to say, is that no matter how much the credits are added in the 'txd' files, no one has given permission for them to use the models, because my models work for a specific server, not for another, what I mean is that if your server uses my models without my permission, that would be stealing.

But hey, as I said before, apparently they like their work to be stolen and used in vain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaikerH
View Post
I'll be back and I'll repeat.
What I want to say, is that no matter how much the credits are added in the 'txd' files, no one has given permission for them to use the models, because my models work for a specific server, not for another, what I mean is that if your server uses my models without my permission, that would be stealing.

But hey, as I said before, apparently they like their work to be stolen and used in vain.
There's nothing you can do about it, get over it.

Isn't there a possibility that you could fill for a copyright registration certificate in your country? I can't see another workaround than having a certificate just like you would have if you composed a musical composition. At least, if someone uses your work and they don't have permission to do so, you have evidence that it is actually your work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoubleoper
View Post
There's nothing you can do about it, get over it.
Oc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhenix
View Post
Isn't there a possibility that you could fill for a copyright registration certificate in your country? I can't see another workaround than having a certificate just like you would have if you composed a musical composition. At least, if someone uses your work and they don't have permission to do so, you have evidence that it is actually your work.
Yes, and I thought that, but, I think it would be very far, anyway, I'll see then what can be done about it.

What is the real point of this thread?

I thought I already posted this somewhere (though it might have been in a since deleted thread because of the subject matter).

Protecting models cannot work. The only way to deal with stolen work is a robust reporting and blocking system - keep your source models and images to prove that you are the original author in cases of disputes (and be sure that it really IS your model, not just a similar one - how different are two whitehouse models (say) really going to look?) Why can't it work? The most popular two suggested "solutions" are:

1) Not downloading the data to the client. Cannot possibly ever work! This means you want the client's game to render and display something they don't have. Think about that for a minute because I'm not going to go any deeper in to this than that.

2) Encrypting the data. Also cannot work. In short, because at some point the client must decrypt the model to display it. This means the client must have the code and keys for the decryption. This means the encryption is totally pointless - if I encrypt something, give it to you, then also give you the way to decrypt it, in what way does it remain safe? You can encrypt the model while it is transferring - this is what already happens if you deliver them over HTTPS, but once they arrive at the client they are stored unencrypted. You can store them encrypted on the disk, and only decrypt them when the game starts, but I already explained that if someone has the game, they have the decryption code right there for use. In fact they don't even need to re-use the decryption code, they can pull the data straight out of memory.

I know the next argument as well - reusing code, or pulling stuff out of memory is hard and not everyone can do it. No they can't. But how long do you think it will take before a one-click tool to do it all for you is released?

3) Use a custom model format. Yes, it is different to the one used by San Andreas, but it would be the same format used by every other SA:MP server, so stolen models in the new format would work just fine.

4) Some advanced method like protected memory or a virtual machine to hide the information from other tools. Would also hide the data from the game, and the moment the models need to be rendered, they need to be seen. Plus, that (if even possible) would only work on the most modern of processors (like Ryzen level modern).

Here is the fundamental problem with what you are asking:

Please give us a way for clients to show our custom models, without clients being able to read our custom models. Showing them requires reading them first.

And ZaikerH: What exactly do you think being English has to do with anything? Why is it that you accuse us specifically of being somehow "against" protection? Protection is good, and we are not against it, it just also happens to be impossible and we know that.

Good argument.
It's just that, it seems that some people in the English community, seem to be against protection, or like to have their content stolen, anyway I'm not accusing, if so, my apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_Less
View Post
I thought I already posted this somewhere (though it might have been in a since deleted thread because of the subject matter).

Protecting models cannot work. The only way to deal with stolen work is a robust reporting and blocking system - keep your source models and images to prove that you are the original author in cases of disputes (and be sure that it really IS your model, not just a similar one - how different are two whitehouse models (say) really going to look?) Why can't it work? The most popular two suggested "solutions" are:

1) Not downloading the data to the client. Cannot possibly ever work! This means you want the client's game to render and display something they don't have. Think about that for a minute because I'm not going to go any deeper in to this than that.

2) Encrypting the data. Also cannot work. In short, because at some point the client must decrypt the model to display it. This means the client must have the code and keys for the decryption. This means the encryption is totally pointless - if I encrypt something, give it to you, then also give you the way to decrypt it, in what way does it remain safe? You can encrypt the model while it is transferring - this is what already happens if you deliver them over HTTPS, but once they arrive at the client they are stored unencrypted. You can store them encrypted on the disk, and only decrypt them when the game starts, but I already explained that if someone has the game, they have the decryption code right there for use. In fact they don't even need to re-use the decryption code, they can pull the data straight out of memory.

I know the next argument as well - reusing code, or pulling stuff out of memory is hard and not everyone can do it. No they can't. But how long do you think it will take before a one-click tool to do it all for you is released?

3) Use a custom model format. Yes, it is different to the one used by San Andreas, but it would be the same format used by every other SA:MP server, so stolen models in the new format would work just fine.

4) Some advanced method like protected memory or a virtual machine to hide the information from other tools. Would also hide the data from the game, and the moment the models need to be rendered, they need to be seen. Plus, that (if even possible) would only work on the most modern of processors (like Ryzen level modern).

Here is the fundamental problem with what you are asking:

Please give us a way for clients to show our custom models, without clients being able to read our custom models. Showing them requires reading them first.

And ZaikerH: What exactly do you think being English has to do with anything? Why is it that you accuse us specifically of being somehow "against" protection? Protection is good, and we are not against it, it just also happens to be impossible and we know that.

Pretty sure those who you speak to, that are wanting to copy, are either talking shit, and still don't even know how to script, or make anything at all, where those who would actually do it, aren't that many at all.

After all, we get those people who get a heap of scripts, and simply 'merge' them... Then those that have so many filterscripts that it's insane, and those people, who open a server for 1-2 months, and stop because no-one turned up, or it wasn't as popular as they thought it would be.

Quote:
View Post
Pretty sure those who you speak to, that are wanting to copy, are either talking shit, and still don't even know how to script, or make anything at all, where those who would actually do it, aren't that many at all.

After all, we get those people who get a heap of scripts, and simply 'merge' them... Then those that have so many filterscripts that it's insane, and those people, who open a server for 1-2 months, and stop because no-one turned up, or it wasn't as popular as they thought it would be.
I love how this community has changed, but at the same time hasn't really changed at all. Reading this simply made my night after not logging in for over a year.