[Question] Web Development

I have decided today to start my way into web development.
I will dedicate this year to learn everything from scratch (Or even from under scratch), I'd like to know what should i start learning, Where and how.

If any web developers are here or anyone experienced\has knowledge in this, Please tell me how, Where and what to start.

Thanks.

Learn it in that order
HTML > CSS > JS > PHP
this is basically
"Skeleton" > Style > Client backend > Server backend.

Experiment a lot, download nginx, just click the .exe file, it will show a window for a split second and turn off. (its ok)
Go to your browser, write 127.0.0.1, press enter.
If you see a page, then everything is working fine and you can start testing and experimenting with HTML, CSS and JS.

For PHP to work on Windows you'll need to download, put it at C:/php
open terminal (cmd.exe), write
Код:
C:
cd C:/php
php-cgi -b 127.0.0.1:9000
And you should be good to go with PHP.
As to learn PHP.
http://php.net/docs.php
is your best friend, all you need is <?php ?> tags and start to create stuff.
Whatever you wonder, search on the documentation.

EDIT: Forgot to say that in NGINX, the files where it loads the pages from is in "html" folder.

Get to grips with frontend (HTML, CSS, JS and a respective JS framework like Angular, React or Vue. Once you feel comfortable move on to learning the backend, choose a single language/framework, some being PHP, Node, Go and Python, but the main two are PHP and Node (which is also JS so your skills will transfer from earlier learning). Once you're comfortable in Node or PHP learn a framework for one of them (Laravel/Express/Adonis) and practice practice practice. Don't get caught up on market trends and worrying about if you're learning the wrong thing because you aren't.

https://www.freecodecamp.org/ is a great website because it has an up to date syllabus you can learn from. You won't be learning stuff that isn't in demand on here.
https://www.*******.com/user/TechGuyWeb/ great *******r who teaches up to date content.

Main thing is to not be overwhelmed. Web development isn't hard but you can drown in information so take steps one at a time and practice by building projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garr
Посмотреть сообщение
Get to grips with front end (HTML, CSS, JS and a respective JS framework (Angular/React/Vue) Once you feel comfortable move on to learning the backend (PHP/Node, which is also Javascript, /Go/Python), but the main two are PHP and Node. Once you're comfortable in Node/PHP learn a framework for one of them (Laravel/Express/Adonis) and practice practice practice. Don't get caught up on market trends and worrying about if you're learning the wrong thing because you aren't.

https://www.freecodecamp.org/ is a great website because it has an up to date syllabus you can learn from. You won't be learning stuff that isn't in demand on here.
https://www.*******.com/user/TechGuyWeb/ great *******r who teaches up to date content.
I wouldn't suggest anyone to use any framework, besides it being a performance hit, its better to get around with the vanilla first and understand it, then whether the programmer wants, find himself a suitable framework if he wishes to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaperstone
Посмотреть сообщение
I wouldn't suggest anyone to use any framework, besides it being a performance hit, its better to get around with the vanilla first and understand it, then whether the programmer wants, find himself a suitable framework if he wishes to.
In what world is not learning a framework practical? This is 2017, not the stone ages of 2004 lol. Frameworks are the center of web development and you'll be left in the dirt wasting time reinventing the wheel if you adopt his approach.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
In what world is not learning a framework practical? This is 2017, not the stone ages of 2004 lol. Frameworks are the center of web development and you'll be left in the dirt wasting time reinventing the wheel if you adopt his approach.
Couldn't agree more on this.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
In this world, welcome to earth astronaut.

With this kind of attitude towards programming, I don't think you know much and you don't need to "reinvent the wheel", I don't think you understood me so I'll have to quote myself
Quote:

its better to get around with the vanilla first and understand it
before hand, the reason for why you seem to me like a guy who don't know much programming is because you sound like a guy who will use a shit ton of libraries to get a single thing done. Either that or your knowledge with vanilla code is weak.

Quote:

and you'll be left in the dirt wasting time reinventing the wheel if you adopt his approach.

Sounds like you never tried to do it if you think so.

I have adopted this approach since forever and my stuff is working fine and faster since the code doesn't have to fit and deal with different situations.
I've never required a framework to do the work for me and I know my code from inside out.
I don't have to keep up with the others, I keep it up fine with my own code that I use and need.
Don't need an arsenal of 100 functions that I don't need.

imo, framework is a waste of time to learn, extra load for nothing and a performance hit.
But that's only my opinion. as I said, "then whether the programmer wants, find himself a suitable framework if he wishes to." use one.

EDIT: have to add that working with vanilla enriches your knowledge with different concepts and understanding of the underlying system. When everything is served on a plate, you don't know how to do it else without it.

Not sure why everyone is recommending PHP as first backend, but I regret starting off with that. I'd say node.js but it is your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiWow
Посмотреть сообщение
Not sure why everyone is recommending PHP as first backend, but I regret starting off with that. I'd say node.js but it is your choice.
Even tho I really like NodeJS, as a term of ease I think PHP beats here.

You don't need to create any arrays and its as simple as putting two tags <?php ?> and entering the page, unlike NodeJS that would require you to understand npm and how to start the server, keep it on and dealing with errors and understanding the concept of async and sync.

PHP is very basic, its sync and the next step is expected and whatever there is an error, PHP will show you immediately rather than waiting for an event to fire.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Even tho I really like NodeJS, as a term of ease I think PHP beats here.

You don't need to create any arrays and its as simple as putting two tags <?php ?> and entering the page, unlike NodeJS that would require you to understand npm and how to start the server, keep it on and dealing with errors and understanding the concept of async and sync.

PHP is very basic, its sync and the next step is expected and whatever there is an error, PHP will show you immediately rather than waiting for an event to fire.
Both PHP and NodeJS are easy to setup, use and debug...

Also, what do you mean with "You don't need to create any arrays"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBank
Посмотреть сообщение
Both PHP and NodeJS are easy to setup, use and debug...
I agree, but for someone who doesn't know even how HTML works, I think isn't as easy as for us.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Also, what do you mean with "You don't need to create any arrays"?
in PHP you just use variables*

eh, always calling them arrays.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
I agree, but for someone who doesn't know even how HTML works, I think isn't as easy as for us.

in PHP you just use variables*

eh, always calling them arrays.
It's in both JS/NodeJS and PHP the same.

PHP код:
PHP:
$data true// boolean
$data = []; // array
NodeJS:
var 
data true// boolean
var data = []; // array 
So i still don't get your point on that.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
It's in both JS/NodeJS and PHP the same.

PHP код:
PHP:
$data true// boolean
$data = []; // array
NodeJS:
var 
data true// boolean
var data = []; // array 
So i still don't get your point on that.
That you don't have to declare the variable in PHP.

It is created when you first use that variable.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
That you don't have to declare the variable in PHP.

It is created when you first use that variable.
True, but it's not that safe and clean to program that way in PHP sometimes, since you can make a lot of mistakes with this way.

Like for example the code bellow, if $value doesn't exists, you will get a PHP warning/error (depends on server settings), since you didn't declared $text. And i see a lot of people making this mistakes.

PHP код:
if (isset($value)) {

$text 'Value: ' $value;
}
echo 
$text