Scripting as a team

Hello,

For few days i have to start scripting in a team. We have big project, and one developer is not enough. What is the best way to script in team. In terms of file sharing?

I'd say either GitHub or DropBox. Only worry is if two people start working on the script at the same time out of dropbox, and when they both save, one person's work is lost. If you guys make separate copies of the script to work on sections, then paste it all together at the end, perhaps that'd work? I'm not totally sure, but that's my best guest. I've only ever scripted solo, never on a team.

I suggest to script alone, most sa-mp servers developers have worked lonely and released large servers. Someday you will make problems with developers and they will open a new server with same script with some edits on it.

Use Bitbucket and SourceTree. Essentially the same as Github but free. I also like to keep my dev files on ****** Drive so it\'s shared with my other developer.

Like people already said, GIT for code tracking and merging. GitHub is most popular and i would say for a reason (could be argued). GitHub provides GUI application to help you and has best UI (at least that\'s what i personally think - you or someone else may disagree). But the downside of GitHub is that you need to pay for private repository. Best alternative would be BitBucket. Please note while they allow private repositories, they limit it to team of 5 people (at least they did about a year ago - that is last time i used BitBucket).

My 2 cents, I hated bitbucket at work, is use gitlab exclusively for my private projects. It strives to be github clone I think, as it has all the features github has, such as project board. You can login with your github account. Unlimited free private repositories! And only one fuckup so far (they lost 4 hours of users commits once)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvanii
View Post
I suggest to script alone, most sa-mp servers developers have worked lonely and released large servers. Someday you will make problems with developers and they will open a new server with same script with some edits on it.
You can't achieve success without a team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiWow
View Post
You can't achieve success without a team.
Actually, if you're a hard working, then you might do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misiur
View Post
My 2 cents, I hated bitbucket at work, is use gitlab exclusively for my private projects. It strives to be github clone I think, as it has all the features github has, such as project board. You can login with your github account. Unlimited free private repositories! And only one fuckup so far (they lost 4 hours of users commits once)
As I read an article about GitLab, it strives to be what GitHub isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaperstone
View Post
Actually, if you're a hard working, then you might do.
I am not good at pointing things out, but, for example, no matter what you do, there will be times when you will fail, if you are in a team, there will be people to help you back up, but if you are alone, there won't be anyone to help you.

And also a quote from Helen "Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiWow
View Post
I am not good at pointing things out, but, for example, no matter what you do, there will be times when you will fail, if you are in a team, there will be people to help you back up, but if you are alone, there won't be anyone to help you.

And also a quote from Helen "Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much"
I very agree with it, but it may seem obvious, but we have stackoverflow

We can do little alone, but eventually you can succeed alone, samp is pretty much a result of a single developer.
Facebo0k as well started by a single developer.

Use a repository system like git or Subversion (I prefer Subversion as it\'s more conventional, much easier to use, and flexible).

Is there like a live version of multi-user scripting? Like ****** Docs when being shared. If you haven\'t tried ****** docs, it\'s like live editing of a single file by multiple users granted access by the original creator of the file. If there was, that would be so awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealPeteros
View Post
Is there like a live version of multi-user scripting? Like ****** Docs when being shared. If you haven\'t tried ****** docs, it\'s like live editing of a single file by multiple users granted access by the original creator of the file. If there was, that would be so awesome.
I would never recommend this for coding. Think about it. Say, you and I are working together working on a script. You want to test what you\'ve just written (a good programmer tests often!), but wait, the code does not compile because I was in the middle of a line. Or, nothing works because you\'re including my code which wasn\'t done yet.

For coding, you really want solutions such as git. Once you know your feature is done and tested, you push it to the other developers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalMethod
View Post
I'd say either GitHub or DropBox. Only worry is if two people start working on the script at the same time out of dropbox, and when they both save, one person's work is lost. If you guys make separate copies of the script to work on sections, then paste it all together at the end, perhaps that'd work? I'm not totally sure, but that's my best guest. I've only ever scripted solo, never on a team.
NEVER use regular filesharing for sharing code, it's just a death wish. Always use VCS like Git. Git really is today's standard with almost every new project that uses VCS choosing for git. You can get free public repo's on GitHub, or you can get free private repo's on BitBucket or GitLab. There are many git clients available to ease up the process.

I\'ve created a folder for a developer and shared that folder in Dropbox, then allowed them to create a filterscript where they can put all their code into. Wouldn\'t recommend it sharing one script, though I\'ve done it with a modular gamemode. You just have to make sure you aren\'t editing the same file at the same time.

Then installed dropbox on linux server and created a command in game to reload each dev\'s filterscript, mainly for testing without restarting the entire server/having to upload anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignity
View Post
Use Bitbucket and SourceTree. Essentially the same as Github but free. I also like to keep my dev files on ****** Drive so it\'s shared with my other developer.
If you are student you can get for free Student Developer Pack that includes Github developer plan (unlimited private repositories)
https://education.github.com/pack

If you have problems with Git, I suggest you to try Mercurial (hg). It is very similar to Git but a bit less complicated. I'm always using Mercurial, and TortoiseHg as a GUI.
The best repository website is https://bitbucket.org/
It is completely free for small teams, even private/hidden projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasino97
View Post
If you have problems with Git, I suggest you to try Mercurial (hg). It is very similar to Git but a bit less complicated. I'm always using Mercurial, and TortoiseHg as a GUI.
The best repository website is https://bitbucket.org/
It is completely free for small teams, even private/hidden projects.
I personally use the following:

Version control: Git for Windows
GUI: GitExtensions
Merging/diff: KDiff3
SSH: PuTTY
Code hosting: Self-hosted GitLab (warning: RAM hogger)
Continuous integration: Self-hosted GitLab-runner (automatically deploys and updates the server)