[Tutorial] Scripter's Guide [NEW]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruteX_modshop
View Post
WOOOW! I found it, this is the tutorial where i got pawn's knowledge from! Finally i found it. This is a AMAZING, tutorial!
Awesomejob christian!
I'll redirect your thanks to him, glad you liked it, I plan on actually re-doing it, with his permission.

the longest and Most explained Tut i ever seen... learned alot but never got it what is loop ... :/

Very nice tutorial, good job.

Thanks, I plan adding a version of this tutorial on my wiki so that everyone can add / modify the content of it, it sounds like a great idea, considering the sa-mp.com wiki is locked for new users.

Wow... This should be instead of the shitty SAMP wiki that didn't explain anything to me!!! I actually have some knowledge behind what a variable is now!!! I'll continue read when I come back home (I read half of it )!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansrutger
View Post
Wow... This should be instead of the shitty SAMP wiki that didn't explain anything to me!!! I actually have some knowledge behind what a variable is now!!! I'll continue read when I come back home (I read half of it )!
I am very glad it helped! I think the problem behind the wiki is that they should add more people as editors for the wiki, I personally would love to be able to add information to the wiki!

EDIT: The wiki is great, it has alot of information, but lacks GOOD tutorials for new scripters.

excellent tutorial + rep from me sir

Thank you sir! Glad you liked it!

i need some help , i have done everything in the guide but the part about

forward OnPlayerRegister(playerid, step);
public OnPlayerRegister(playerid, step)
{
if(step == 1)
{
SetPlayerPos(playerid, 1758.8578,-1871.2877,30.0641); // Hidden Player
SetPlayerCameraPos(playerid, 1781.1493,-1833.0995,33.3569); // Camera Pos
SetPlayerCameraLookAt(playerid, 1781.0450,-1808.2030,13.5312); // Camera Look At
}
return 1;
}

i have done that and changed the 1758.8578,-1871.2877,30.0641 to my own as well as the other 2
but when i login it comes up saying this

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/samp085dx.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/408/samp086u.png/

it dosent ask me to register nor does it show me where i did the player possison nor the camera pos?

am i missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatterzz
View Post
i need some help , i have done everything in the guide but the part about

forward OnPlayerRegister(playerid, step);
public OnPlayerRegister(playerid, step)
{
if(step == 1)
{
SetPlayerPos(playerid, 1758.8578,-1871.2877,30.0641); // Hidden Player
SetPlayerCameraPos(playerid, 1781.1493,-1833.0995,33.3569); // Camera Pos
SetPlayerCameraLookAt(playerid, 1781.0450,-1808.2030,13.5312); // Camera Look At
}
return 1;
}

i have done that and changed the 1758.8578,-1871.2877,30.0641 to my own as well as the other 2
but when i login it comes up saying this

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/samp085dx.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/408/samp086u.png/

it dosent ask me to register nor does it show me where i did the player possison nor the camera pos?

am i missing something?
Well, the tutorial still lacks the messagebox part, I am working on that! but it should actually point the camera, can you show me your source code?

I wasn't trying to sound mean, but I just wanted to point that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurman
View Post
I wasn't trying to sound mean, but I just wanted to point that out.
No, no. I appreciate it. Don't want to make a bad impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KY
View Post
I'm sorry, but..

I agree that SA:MP has more roleplay servers than MTA, but it definitely does not have better scripts.

/* Edited the rest of my post to avoid issues with management. */

Just felt the need to put my two cents in, as the "better scripts" statement kind of buggered me off.

Although, this is a very good tutorial, and I can see you have put some time and thought of how to go about it, which I appreciate, because it helps the budding generation of scripters learn faster, which means we can retire quicker! ()
I actually agree with that, probably I've changed my point of view over the last months. After getting into MTA scripting I must totally agree that MTA has out of the box development ideas, you can create anything you want, including appealing GUI s, custom objects and vehicles and several other complex systems that SA-MP won't have in quite a while (correct me if I'm wrong).

MTA has a stable development team, with (if I'm correct, I may be wrong, as I haven't logged into MTA in a while) more developers while SA-MP has only one, what probably makes SA-MP better right now is the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurman
View Post
Saying anything like this about other mods is very dangerous, because little things like these make the Beta Testers/Kalcor dislike you, and will probably end with your post being deleted or even your account being banned.

All I'm trying to say is that posting and saying that another mod is better than SA-MP in any way is quite dangerous, watch what you say.
I don't think developers will take it wrong, it's constructive criticism, perhaps probably the SA-MP team already knows that. If we're here it means we like SA-MP, and probably most of us prefer SA-MP, like me.

Thank you two, I'll probably add it to the next version I'm developing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskoft
View Post
I actually agree with that, probably I've changed my point of view over the last months. After getting into MTA scripting I must totally agree that MTA has out of the box development ideas, you can create anything you want, including appealing GUI s, custom objects and vehicles and several other complex systems that SA-MP won't have in quite a while (correct me if I'm wrong).

MTA has a stable development team, with (if I'm correct, I may be wrong, as I haven't logged into MTA in a while) more developers while SA-MP has only one, what probably makes SA-MP better right now is the community.

I don't think developers will take it wrong, it's constructive criticism, perhaps probably the SA-MP team already knows that. If we're here it means we like SA-MP, and probably most of us prefer SA-MP, like me.

Thank you two, I'll probably add it to the next version I'm developing.
Maybe I'll regret this, maybe I won't, but my original post was;

Quote:

I agree that SA:MP has more roleplay servers than MTA, but it definitely does not have better scripts. There are so many more functions that do so many different things on MTA, where they actually have the original source code of GTA:SA, unlike SA:MP where Kye (Kalcor) has to go off and develop his very own modification on his "own" source, which limits the scripting community. Meanwhile LUA seems to be a far more flexible language than PAWN, although I could be wrong on this statement, so by all means, feel free to prove me wrong.

However, yes, MTA has a more stable development than SA:MP. However, I think Kalcor is doing a great job for a one man team. There's only so much time someone can invest in a simply pleasure project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KY
View Post
Maybe I'll regret this, maybe I won't, but my original post was;

Code:
I agree that SA:MP has more roleplay servers than MTA, but it definitely does not have better scripts. There are so many more functions that do so many different things on MTA, where they actually have the original source code of GTA:SA, unlike SA:MP where Kye (Kalcor) has to go off and develop his very own modification on his "own" source, which limits the scripting community. Meanwhile LUA seem
seems to be a far more flexible language than PAWN, although I could be wrong on this statement, so by all means, feel free to prove me wrong.
However, yes, MTA has a more stable development than SA:MP. However, I think Kalcor is doing a great job for a one man team. There's only so much time someone can invest in a simply pleasure project.
However I also agree that Kalcor should recruit some developers, I'm not an old member, but I believe that they used to have developers and I believe the source code was released too, and probably that's the reason why Kalcor develops alone.

This is just too important to me, +rep.