[Tutorial] yield

Introduction

yield is a new keyword that basically means “return some data, but later come back to EXACTLY this spot in the code”. This is appearing in more and more languages, and now PAWN has it as well. As a very brief example, this is invalid code. The compiler will give a warning, since the second print can never be run:

Code:

Func()
{
    print("a");
    return 42;
    print("b");
}
On the other hand, this code is valid, because after doing the return, code execution actually comes back in to the middle of the function:

Code:

Func()
{
    print("a");
    yield return 42;
    print("b");
}
Iterators

Currently the only place this actually works is in special iterators. If you are not familiar with basic special iterators, read this: https://sampforum.blast.hk/showthread.php?tid=570937

A regular special iterator may look like this:

Code:

iterfunc stock Powers(&iterstate, cur, base)
{
    if (cur)
    {
        return
            iterstate = base * cur,
            _:(iterstate > cur) * iterstate;
    }
    return 1;
}

#define iterstart@Powers iterstate(0, 0)
And called with:

Code:

foreach (new i : Powers(2))
{
    // 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, ...
}
foreach calls that function once every loop, each time passing in the current value of i and any other required state for the function. This gets a bit confusing, so we can replace this all with yield, and keep all the iterator state purely within the function:

Code:

iterfunc stock Powers(base)
{
    for (new cur = 1; cur > 0; cur *= base)
        yield return cur;
}

#define iterstart@Powers iteryield
A few things to notice:
  1. We declare a local variable (cur) and keep using it, despite repeatedly leaving the function. This variable lives within the function's closure. You could call this function twice in nested loops with no problems.
  2. There is no return at the end of the function. You could have one, and that value would be part of the foreach loop, but one isn't required (this would be a compiler warning with regular returns). If the function ends without a yield, the loop instantly ends.
  3. Because loop ends are determined purely by the iterator function ending, not by a special value as in other iterators, yield iterators can use EVERY number.
  4. You can end a yield function early by using return alone as normal, or by using yield break;.
  5. The define has changed to iter - this just tells foreach which type of code to use for this iterator.
  6. This specific loop ends when the number overflows, but that's not special to this code.
Example

The example for using this code is identical to the old version:

Code:

foreach (new i : Powers(2))
{
    // 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, ...
}
So for each iteration of that loop, just a little bit of the iterator function is run.

Every Value

Standard special iterator functions end when they return a certain value - by default this is cellmin, but it can be changed. However, this means that there is always at least one value that can’t be part of the loop ever. Maybe that’s not a problem, but yield iterators don’t have that problem:

Code:

iterfunc stock Number()
{
    new x = cellmin;
    do
    {
        yield return x;
        ++x;
    }
    while (x != cellmin);
}

#define iterstart@Number iteryield

foreach (new i : Number())
{
    printf("%!d(MISSING)", i);
}
That code will print every valid 32-bit number (so I suggest you don’t actually run it).

Variants

yield iterators can contain any code, as with normal function, and can “yield” as many things as desired.

Looping over this will get every number three times in a row:

Code:

iterfunc stock NumberThrice()
{
    new x = cellmin;
    do
    {
        yield return x;
        yield return x;
        yield return x;
        ++x;
    }
    while (x != cellmin);
}

#define iterstart@NumberThrice iteryield
A Range function (y_iterate actually already has one of these, not written like this as it is an old-style standard special iterator, but this is a good example anyway):

Code:

iterfunc stock Range(start, end, step = 1)
{
    if (step < 0)
    {
        while (end < start)
        {
            yield return start;
            start += step;
        }
    }
    else
    {
        while (start < end)
        {
            yield return start;
            start += step;
        }
    }
}

#define iterstart@Range iteryield
Return the numbers from 0-20. This example is not at all the easiest way of doing this, but shows a number of other techniques:

Code:

iterfunc stock XToY(x, y)
{
    while (x != y)
        yield return x++;
}

#define iterstart@XToY iteryield

iterfunc stock ZeroToTwenty()
{
    yield return 0;
    foreach (new i : XToY(1, 10))
        yield return i;
    yield return 10;
    yield return 11;
    yield return 12;
    yield return 13;
    for (new i = 0; i != 3; ++i)
        yield return i + 14;
    yield return 17;
    for (new i = 0; i != 100; ++i)
    {
        if (i == 3)
            yield break;
        else
            yield return i + 18;
    }
    yield return 101;
}

#define iterstart@ZeroToTwenty iteryield
Notes:

1. Because of yield break;, the higher numbers will never be passed to foreach.
  2. This has a call to another yield iterator. Any valid code can be used in these functions (even recursion).
  3. Some returns are in loops, some aren't. It doesn't matter.
  4. The inner yield function uses post-increment on the yield return line. This will also work correctly and pass the old value to the loop.

How did I even miss this. This is perfect. Thank you.

Very handy to have someone explain the concept of yield.

It doesn't just apply in that situation, but also other examples like breaking down complex UX designs to build easy-to-read and maintainable code.

Very good explanation IMHO for newbies!
Congratulations.

I really like how you use ASM to improve PAWN as language. Keep goin'

I don’t get the idea how can this be useful in samp? Or it’s just for pawn general coding?
Eitherway thanks.

It's an extension to pawn, you can use it however you want to write modes. In theory you can use nothing but callbacks and "if" to write a mode, it just isn't easy.