What are your thoughts and opinions on SA-MP ever being open-source

This is a genuine discussion, so anybody who doesn't quite understand what open-source is go and do some research quickly before giving a response. People are free to discuss the pros and cons of SA-MP going open source.

Just to highlight this: I do not have any affiliations with SA-MP nor do my opinions personally have anything to do with views or opinions of anybody who develops SA-MP. I am just a fan, like you. I DO NOT HAVE THE POWER TO OPEN-SOURCE SA-MP NOR DO I HAVE ANY INFORMATION RELATING TO IT'S FUTURE

My personal opinion is that SA-MP should be open sourced, it would present many benefits to the community.

If open source was a viable option it should have happened ages ago, not now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignity
View Post
I don't know why you think that is a viable answer or opinion. WHY should it have happened years ago? And because it didn't WHY does that mean it can't go open-source now?

You seem to cling on to this even when kye said now is not the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshncool
View Post
You seem to cling on to this even when kye said now is not the time.
I don't see the problem? This is a discussion for/against open-source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famalamalam
View Post
I don't know why you think that is a viable answer or opinion. WHY should it have happened years ago? And because it didn't WHY does that mean it can't go open-source now?
I don't know why you think it isn't a viable answer or opinion, it's just that, an opinion. Get rid of your pitchfork attitude and actually do some research about how this could work instead of jumping the gun and inciting retarded arguments.

I'll tell you why it won't work out now. I'll quote myself from that other thread and mention your 5-6 year absence. It's of the essence here, because you're obviously out of the loop of what's been going on.

Half of LS-RP's player base has started a breakaway server on GTA 5. About thirty or so people who associate with me personally are barely involved anymore. NG-RP has closed down and half of it's staff team isn't interested in the HZ-RP merge. There's probably more as well. Most of these people have had bad experiences with servers, the staff teams they're meant to be merging in or are just really bored of the concept (myself included).

My point is that there are several close knit communities existing and slowly straying away from this mod. What Kalcor said would happen is happening right now (not to the extent it would if we'd open source) and just because MTA or whatever did it doesn't mean it has a means to succeed here. The new replaces the old as always but when there's breakaways happening like they are this very moment it's obviously not a good idea to encourage the community to split up even further.

Not to mention that the Russians made their own client about 2-3 months ago and came on this forum breaking rules and talking shit about Kalcor and SA-MP. Every possibility of this being possible has been rebounced the past year or so.

Maybe if people like King Hual or other likeminded developers (that did want to push SA-MP into a new, positive light) were still actively programming were still around it'd be something worth trying a year or two ago.

Not anymore.

At least now, I Strongly Disagree.
Same happened with MTA and now you can see where MTA lies.

I doubt the reason is because "they are afraid that the game will be replicated and lots of other samp will open"
Like come on, there is MTA and SAMP 0.2.2 source out there, do you see any attempts to reopen personal modification?
(Note: those who say "there is Russian version of samp", there is only that one for android, for pc there is someone who develops it but didn't really release a practical one, ain't sure what you're arguing about here)

Besides that, it would require great efforts to compete with the original, constantly keeping up with the commits, adding stuff.

SAMP can benefit from being open source by people who'd push commits to make the servers faster and less vulnerable to ddos attacks. (and maybe finally moving from pawn or somehow towards utilizing modern features like async and/or multi core for event fires)

I honestly trying to find a negative in it being open source, but I cannot.

Yes, it will make SAMP vulnerable, so what? are we not vulnerable nowadays to any attacks? ddos? floods? exploits?

It takes ages for a single developer to patch a single issue and it will continue like so, samp will always be sensitive to ddos and floods as long as its closed source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debjit
View Post
At least now, I Strongly Disagree.
Same happened with MTA and now you can see where MTA lies.
It is doing fine?
Their initial goal wasn't to create a multiplayer modification that keeps up with the original game, otherwise the pull requests wouldn't be approved.

They're actually doing much better than sa-mp in terms of security and enables greater control over the game.

Anyhow, I disbelieve that Kalcor will ever make it open source until samp will reach its lowest point where he simply wouldn't care to release it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignity
View Post
People change, opinions change, things change.
Anyone can reconsider making his work open/closed source.

P.S. "other things succeed, doesn't mean the same would happen here" is a dumb argument imo.
This is a mod, not a country.
It already has people sticking with it, whether people will leave or join won't be because "samp is (open|closed) source"
The success that comes out from making samp open source has no relation to the success of the mod.
Low # of commits, a lot of them, ups, downs in the commits.
That's not the idea of open source.

Open Source suppose to give people with experience or knowledge in certain things to be able to contribute to the project.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucases
View Post
If samp becomes open source everyone will be able to open a new multyplayer client with some weird names.
Dumb arguement.
Quote:
View Post
SAMP development reached its limits, I mean, there aren't too many functions to add now, because GTA SA got limits too. Making SAMP open source will just create a lot of chaos
It hasn't, there is always more to add, samp is vulnerable and becomes slower when the gamemode grows bigger.

EDIT2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romz
View Post
Do you want the multiplayer to completely die?
What it has to do with the source being closed/open?

So, you say that 40k people will download 50 different client just to play on a specific server/mod?

Quote:

So, you say that 40k people will download 50 different client just to play on a specific server/mod?

Yes. Why the fuck do we need to make samp open source? You can develop SAMP?

Quote:
View Post
Quote:

Yes. Why the fuck do we need to make samp open source? You can develop SAMP?
Ain't sure if you're trolling or really has that childrish attitude.

I just wrote about 20 lines of text - answering this exact question and you totally ignore and re-ask the same exact question that this thread is about.

It has nothing to do with me being able or not to develop samp, there's absolutely no need to underestimate others knowledge.
Besides that, there are many more people besides me out there with different set of skills/knowledge than me that could contribute much more than me.