[Plugin] TexAndreas - Community Project Development

TexAndreas
Inspiration

Ever since I started playing SA-MP I always had some great ideas that I would like to do but the reality was to get anywhere you just have to do it yourself. Development for ColAndreas started around the same time as the development of 420DayZ but ended up taking a lot longer to complete. Then late one night the first prototype for ColAndreas was born but even after that to reach a polished project took even longer. The people that stepped up and really helped polish things off is what made ColAndreas successful. TexAndreas is a whole new level of detail on top of the ability to detect collisions. I really can't do this alone if this project is to ever be created is has to be started but I need several good minds to collaborate. SA-MP is not really a place of community projects but I think we can change that!

What is TexAndreas?

The idea of this project is to bring a whole new level of detail and knowledge of the SA-MP world for the server. What this plugin does is creates a collision world out of all the textured surfaces of models. From there all the textures would need to have their attributes manually defined. For instance a road texture you could define the areas on the texture which would return certain attributes. In this case it could be the dashed yellow line or a solid white line or perhaps the road surface it's self. You could find out if they cross the lines when they drive and profile a players driving habits. That is really just for starters as the depth of information comes down to meticulously defining each texture.

Road Map

Phase i: Research
  • Locate available resources
    • Current tools that can read the various assets of GTA:SA <In progress>
    • Detailing/understanding the inner workings of models <Not ready>
    • Examine data and determine which data will be required for plugin use <Not ready>
Phase ii: Programming/Asset Building
Phase iii: Testing/Refining/Release

Interested?
Just post in the thread we are going to need a lot of different skills. So let me see who wants to help out I will have the road map completed soon enough.

Plugin Development - https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/community/

GitHub:
Comming Soon.

This plugin might be pretty useful! Thanks for that.

You have a very good idea. I wish good luck in the development.

I don't quite understand this texture-attribute thing.

What can I use it for that I cannot achieve without it? why would a person need to play with texture data and have events from it?

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottus
View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaS
View Post
By the way, do you know of a way to extract surface materials data out of the models (eg Grass/Dirt, Concrete, Sand etc) using the Wizard (just theoretically)?

My first guess would be no, since the materials are probably linked to the actual models and not collisions (but I could be wrong here)?
Yes ColAndreas is just the collision meshes. The idea you are thinking of is the next natural step in the evolution of MapAndreas/ColAndreas it would be called TexAndreas.

It should be able to do the following
- Collision mesh of textured surfaces
- uv offset of collision
- texture/txd/model
- Pixel color of collision point
- texture info system (each texture needs to be profiled for uv checks)

Then you could expand knowledge of the world beyond anything imaginable that we have today. Just picture a metal bridge you define a bunch of different areas on a texture (bolts, nuts, holes) all this can be known. This probably would have been my next project It really is too bad I don't have time to put in all the work but I have time to head a community project. (If there was ever such a thing in SA-MP!)
Found de answers.

Yes the idea is to create a whole new layer of information independent from the game it's self but to expand on the game in a completely SA-MP related way.

How interesting.

I'll be following this project and contributing where and if possible.

Hell yeah, can't wait to see this going.

Awesome thing. Pretty useful.

Quote:
View Post
You could find out if they cross the lines when they drive and profile a players driving habits. That is really just for starters as the depth of information comes down to meticulously defining each texture.
Damn. Would be sick to have.

Already excited!

Nice to see you're starting this.

It's insane to see the perfect level you take this

Thanks

This tool might help too
http://www.steve-m.com/downloads/tools/rwanalyze/

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT
View Post
It's insane to see the perfect level you take this

Thanks
From experience I know how to take this in the right direction to be successful but I will need a lot of help to figure out some of the hurdles we have.

One issue is recreating the whole map with a higher level of detail will consume memory but this plugin isn't geared towards dollar store servers.

The good thing is ColAndreas is the perfect reference for a practical proof-of-concept prototype. I only need the data set of one model so core development of this plugin could be just a matter of days away.

The real time of this project will be creating new assets to detail textures themselves and the automated binary builder tool.

Quote:
View Post
You could find out if they cross the lines when they drive and profile a players driving habits
Doesn't got the point.
.COL files already have material id (but doesn`t represented in plugin).

Let me know how I can help. I'm pretty smart finding stuff in SA.

The concept is brilliant, but we needed it 5 years ago. I don't think any servers will take advantage of it. Most established servers won't.

Perhaps we could take a look at that SanAndreas to Unity project on GitHub...?

EDIT: https://github.com/xythobuz/SanAndreasUnity

EDIT2: Well, probably here: https://github.com/xythobuz/SanAndre...nderWareStream

EDIT3: Yeah, definitely there. Looks like the RenderWareStream folder has a lot of useful info.

Nice, good luck.

It seems interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetiger
View Post
Let me know how I can help. I'm pretty smart finding stuff in SA.
I will map out all the resources we will be requiring soon enough thanks!