SA:MP Internet listing with monthly fee to filter out fake, unserious servers?

This opinion was brought up in Kalcor's latest thread, SA-MP 0.3.7-R2 client update.
The general idea is that servers should pay $5 to be listed on the Internet tab, and $25 to be listed in the Hosted tab.

no, don't even think about that.

This is a discussion. Wether your point goes against mine or not, add to the discussion. You two are not doing that.

To add to this discussion: This idea is bad, and it can be done much better.
It would be disgusting to have a service besides the "hosted list" that was and will be usable by everyone, which requires money.
Look around to other games and mods what they have done to prevent attacks like this.

It's too much. If you're not good in PR, you'd stand no chance in getting players without payment.

I'm sure if Kalcor wanted to charge a smaller premium for the Internet tab it would have happened already.

Remember guys this is a suggestion of how to eradicate fake servers.

I would rather this option than have an unworking or overpopulated Internet tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLiOn_PrImE
Посмотреть сообщение
It's too much. If you're not good in PR, you'd stand no chance in getting players without payment.
That's true. But nowadays, every server in the internet tab with a decent chance of succeeding (due to, say, a good gamemode and hours and hours of thought put into the idea) is hidden due to the amount of servers with fake players and most recently, flooding. Therefore, if you want to be recognized, you have to invest in the hosted tab.

In SA-MP there are a lot of people under 18 that wants to make their own project. I think that is not a good idea because I know a lot of guys in this situation that cannot pay by internet because they don't have bank account. But I think that SA-MP must have an "Official tab", thats the best option to filter servers, but I think that is not going to be possible becasue if you want to make this idea, you need to have an active support team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphyyy
Посмотреть сообщение
In SA-MP there are a lot of people under 18 that wants to make their own project. I think that is not a good idea because I know a lot of guys in this situation that cannot pay by internet because they don't have bank account. But I think that SA-MP must have an "Official tab", thats the best option to filter servers, but I think that is not going to be possible becasue if you want to make this idea, you need to have an active support team.
It used to have an Official tab. I had no idea why it went extinct though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted
Посмотреть сообщение
It used to have an Official tab. I had no idea why it went extinct though.
I know, thats why im talking about it!

So having to pay a 5 euro fee will stop people from faking player counts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor;
What happened with the Official list? The Official list was like the Hosted list now, but with only 10-20 servers. That's 10-20 servers getting 50,000 hits a day on the Official list. The servers were run by people closely connected to SA-MP development like the beta team, but in some cases they were just run by people who happened to be on our IRC network.

There was a server called Westside RPG which had been on the official list during 0.1/0.2. This was during the height of SA-MP's growth. Some of the servers on the official list had 80,000 registered accounts, and this was in 2009. I think some of the former official servers like Cops and Robbers would go on to get half a million registered accounts, more than this forum.

Around 2010-2011, one of the Westside RPG admins decided to leak the user database, which had around 80,000 registered accounts with emails and clear text passwords. I felt partially responsible.

The official list gave lots of power to people who in some cases had done absolutely nothing to deserve it. The official list was a really bad idea. Also, we used to get DDoS'ed regularly from people demanding their server be added to the Official list. Things have really been a lot better with the Hosted list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spmn
Посмотреть сообщение
So having to pay a 5 euro fee will stop people from faking player counts?
It won't remove every fake, but it'll get rid of a majority.

PS. Twisted please fix your massive signature. I'm at work and it's causing scrollbars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSmith
Посмотреть сообщение
PS. Twisted please fix your massive signature. I'm at work and it's causing scrollbars!
Not seeing it.

5 bucks is too much, but thing is any payment would be a good one as then they know who paid for, and what servers are doing stupid crap, and can then deny them anything based on the account that's paying for the fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansrutger
Посмотреть сообщение
Yes yes yes I suggest the following as well!

Bronze Package ($5)
  • Internet tab listing
  • 1 namechange on samp forums
  • 5 possible forum warnings before ban instead of 3 on samp forums

Silver Package ($10)
  • Internet tab listing
  • 3 name changes on samp forums
  • 10 possible warnings before ban on samp forums
  • dugi will open paint and create an image for you

Gold Package ($15)
  • Internet tab listing
  • Hosted tab listing
  • dugi will make a sexy picture in paint
  • everything else as in Silver Package

Premium Package ($100)
  • Forever listing on internet tab
  • 3 months of hosted tab listing
  • Dugi will make video of him and Kalcor having a conversation, only shared to you
  • everything else in gold package

I don't know man, maybe people who suggested that internet tab should cost haven't really figured life out yet so they are excused. But jokes a side here's some facts that you might want to consider before you say "oh let's put internet listings for $5 dollars": the attackers have the means and resources to perform attacks as long as they find exploits. They are the ones approaching people who sell hosted tab listings and say "hey put up my server there" and then there's consequences for the one selling the hosted tab listing. Implementing yet another money limitation for SA-MP servers is not the way to go to keep SA-MP open for as long as possible, then again I can see that a lot of people already fail to see what is best for SA-MP as a whole community and only think about what is best for themselves.
Didn't see this thread before I posted this in the other one.

That list concept is good but most of the options aren't that well thought out. 10 warnings before wan? So essentially, the people that "buy" that list get a free pass to rulebreak? No thanks. And sure you can argue about how x and x will avoid it but really that's just more work for something that's prone to abuse anyway.

Namechanges are also free, always have been. Not that I care about paying money for changing it (I encourage it) but there is already a policy set to it so that not everyone can abuse the namechange system.

Something like a promotion system, (custom banners displayed on sa-mp.com and forum.sa-mp.com) that change on every refresh might work though. Instead of the 10 warnings or free namechange, you pay for the duration of the promotion instead.

I personally won't care about dugi or kalcor making a video or a picture, no offense to them. It doesn't benefit me in any way. Promotion or anything of the sort would, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew_Sumi
Посмотреть сообщение
5 bucks is too much, but thing is any payment would be a good one as then they know who paid for, and what servers are doing stupid crap, and can then deny them anything based on the account that's paying for the fee.
Tbh, maybe it's a good thing that it's a bit too much. It weeds out the excess breakaway servers or the one week duration RP servers that are the plague right now.

Okay,

first of all, can't be arsed to read the whole thread, but i'll just bring up, what i think might (or could, depending on people) be a good idea.

Two listings, exclusive and general (or whatever you want to call it).

In Exclusive you will only end up when paying (lets just say 20€), but there will be a limit, so it stays exclusive.
Let us say 100 servers, that'd be 2K a month (i have no clue what costs Kalcor has right now).

Coming to the next point, the general list, it should be open for everyone, therefore you can get in if you want to. Making some kind of validation shouldn't be impossible. Also, sa-mp should officially be open for donations. If none of the players actually want sa-mp to live on, they won't pay.

Also, most people think, that you are just getting rich off the hosted tab, i think so too btw, since i have no clues what your costs might be, that's why i'd also suggest some transparency.

Open-Sourcing doesn't seem to be an option as we might now, therefore, i'd suggest widening the circle of developers by letting in "trusted" people, furthermore people that have high reputation and are an important part of the community. For example Vince, SouthClaws, Y_Less or whoever (Just examples). If you are scared the might steal something, sue them, lol. (Quite optional, if you want to keep it closed, ok)

I am quite certain, that it shouldn't be a problem to realize all that.

Now back to the original idea, a lotta people can't afford an additional 5€ for only listening their server.

Anyways, we need to build trust in this community, we can't be so paranoid.

Just my thoughts, might be stupid dunno, regards Marcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignity
Посмотреть сообщение
That list concept is good but most of the options aren't that well thought out. 10 warnings before wan? So essentially, the people that "buy" that list get a free pass to rulebreak? No thanks. And sure you can argue about how x and x will avoid it but really that's just more work for something that's prone to abuse anyway.

Namechanges are also free, always have been. Not that I care about paying money for changing it (I encourage it) but there is already a policy set to it so that not everyone can abuse the namechange system.

Something like a promotion system, (custom banners displayed on sa-mp.com and forum.sa-mp.com) that change on every refresh might work though. Instead of the 10 warnings or free namechange, you pay for the duration of the promotion instead.

I personally won't care about dugi or kalcor making a video or a picture, no offense to them. It doesn't benefit me in any way. Promotion or anything of the sort would, though.
It was a joke because I find it very ridiculous that people even suggest this to begin with as if it would "stop attackers" lol.

I agree with the points above regarding the people being under 18, and probably wishes to join the community by having their own server.

In first place, I do really think Hosted tab is a bad thing. Equality and a pure competition to make the best scripts and servers should be the spark to keep it going. It's unfair that some servers with a fair amount of cash can climb above everyone else, just beacuse of cash.

If it was up to me, I would remove the hosted tab, patch the issues with the attacks and floods - and make the community form another form of competition. This way scripters aged between 12-18 also have a chance to be included.

So, making internet tab $5, no thanks. Make it remain free, and let the competition on internet tab be purely based of each and everyone's knowledge. That is my opinion. And as far as I know, it's not that weird thinking that way. We've all been there, felt excluded because we couldn't pay hosted tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansrutger
Посмотреть сообщение
It was a joke because I find it very ridiculous that people even suggest this to begin with as if it would "stop attackers" lol.
lol looks like I fell for the bait then.

The concept is nice but it won't stop attackers. I don't see why it can't work out as something else though.