Bringing back the official tab list.

Hello everyone,

I've been thinking during the past days if it would be better the official tab list or keep the hosted tab and here's what I came accross.

Bringing back the official tab list will benefit a lot SA-MP the question comes why?
Let's say X person works on an awesome script for years and doesn't get enough attention, the Y person comes with a released samp script and gets 100+ players that definitely loses the motivation of the X person.Bringing the official list would benefit both SA-MP and the scripters/owners + the players since they would know which script is unique and is really meant to be there.

Would love to hear community's feedback on this one.

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
The internet list was attacked with hundreds of fake servers. What motivation is there to bring it back when it needs constant monitoring? It's actually better for players if the server is paying to be on the list. Nobody would pay to list a fake server.

It's possible the internet list could come back at some point. I'm not motivated to monitor the list after 10 years of blocking bad servers. There are people who volunteer to do it but they get bored of it quickly. It's just not something anyone wants to do.
^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwebicek
View Post
^^^^
Internet Tab List < Official Tab list.

And I'm speaking about official tab list not Internet tab list which are different.

Regards,
Crystallize.

I have seen Kalcor's post. As a disclaimer: I play SA-MP from July 2015, so I haven't seen the official tab.
As a player it would be nice to see little servers from my country and also international...
I have thinked to a system for adding a server to the tab:
  1. Server owner requests to be in the tab
  2. One of the Tab Staff (new staff class made by volunteers) will accept it if he have 5-10+ players active. (maybe his friends can help?)
  3. After that the server appears on the tab
  4. Players see it and play and Enjoy

sure. official tab on the 0.2x was cool, but after its gets removed on the 0.3 base, that was a big fault...

anyways getting attacking by fake players isnt a reason. we'all know that kalcor can add fake players protection if he wants to do.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeonMaster
View Post
sure. official tab on the 0.2x was cool, but after its gets removed on the 0.3 base, that was a big fault...

anyways getting attacking by fake players isnt a reason. we'all know that kalcor can add fake players protection if he wants to do.....
No, he didn't say fake PLAYERS were a reason. Fake servers were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeonMaster
View Post

And the people attacking will get smart and screw it over again, sooner or later. Accept his choice or offer an alternative, instead of saying "it's so easy to fix, just do it". Crystallize and 10MIN brought up a very good way of doing so.

If there is no way of authorization (like the Hosted Tab in form of money - like he said noone is going to pay for placing fake servers of that amount), you cannot automatically determine whether or not the players of a server are real, not with the current design of the server. So it's not an easy job, and moderators/admins have to constantly look over the list like they did a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshncool
View Post
No, he didn't say fake PLAYERS were a reason. Fake servers were.
read this.....
Quote:

The internet list was attacked with hundreds of fake servers. What motivation is there to bring it back when it needs constant monitoring? It's actually better for players if the server is paying to be on the list. Nobody would pay to list a fake server.

It's possible the internet list could come back at some point. I'm not motivated to monitor the list after 10 years of blocking bad servers. There are people who volunteer to do it but they get bored of it quickly. It's just not something anyone wants to do.

EDit: fake SERVERS

I'd like to know why are you guys arguing for internet tab while im talking about the old official tab list where unique servers would be approved to be shown there...

It was fake servers with fake players. Multiple levels of fakery.

Quote:
View Post
But that is/was internet list not official tab? I'm fairly new so I never had the chance to see the official tab but I can imagine it being some sort of list where beta testers/you can add some servers to it or something.

Quote:
View Post
What about forum applications, Just like hosted list but instead of paying money you have to make an app that requires reps/posts etc and a volunteer will take care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianlouise
View Post
What about forum applications, Just like hosted list but instead of paying money you have to make an app that requires reps/posts etc and a volunteer will take care of it.
Thats how old official list was except Kalcor reviewed them.

What happened with the Official list? The Official list was like the Hosted list now, but with only 10-20 servers. That's 10-20 servers getting 50,000 hits a day on the Official list. The servers were run by people closely connected to SA-MP development like the beta team, but in some cases they were just run by people who happened to be on our IRC network.

There was a server called Westside RPG which had been on the official list during 0.1/0.2. This was during the height of SA-MP's growth. Some of the servers on the official list had 80,000 registered accounts, and this was in 2009. I think some of the former official servers like Cops and Robbers would go on to get half a million registered accounts, more than this forum.

Around 2010-2011, one of the Westside RPG admins decided to leak the user database, which had around 80,000 registered accounts with emails and clear text passwords. I felt partially responsible.

The official list gave lots of power to people who in some cases had done absolutely nothing to deserve it. The official list was a really bad idea. Also, we used to get DDoS'ed regularly from people demanding their server be added to the Official list. Things have really been a lot better with the Hosted list.

Quote:
View Post
What happened with the Official list? The Official list was like the Hosted list now, but with only 10-20 servers. That's 10-20 servers getting 50,000 hits a day on the Official list. The servers were run by people closely connected to SA-MP development like the beta team, but in some cases they were just run by people who happened to be on our IRC network.

There was a server called Westside RPG which had been on the official list during 0.1/0.2. This was during the height of SA-MP's growth. Some of the servers on the official list had 80,000 registered accounts, and this was in 2009. I think some of the former official servers like Cops and Robbers would go on to get half a million registered accounts, more than this forum.

Around 2010-2011, one of the Westside RPG admins decided to leak the user database, which had around 80,000 registered accounts with emails and clear text passwords. I felt partially responsible.

The official list gave lots of power to people who in some cases had done absolutely nothing to deserve it. The official list was a really bad idea. Also, we used to get DDoS'ed regularly from people demanding their server be added to the Official list. Things have really been a lot better with the Hosted list.
ah that makes sense now thread can be closed I guess glad you came with a solution when such things happened.