[Tutorial] Choosing a compiler

Zeex's compiler is the only compiler that works for me.

Hey,
just bumping this thread for anyone who doesn't follow the Zeex/pawn repo on GitHub.
There's a new experimental release for the Zeex compiler with performance optimizations (thanks to maddinat0r and Daniel-Cortez) and I think everybody should know it.

My compile time dropped from 120s (2 minutes) to 15s on a very large roleplay gamemode (193k lines, 575 modules)

Please note this is an experimental pre-release.
I also don't have a server with a large playerbase for testing it intensively, so you should be careful.
Y_Less said it passes the whole YSI test suite without issues so this is reassuring.

Some edit in thread @Misiur

Russian complier is open source https://github.com/BigETI/PawnSource

lol russian guy

Zeex is now 3.10.4 with faster compiling https://github.com/Zeex/pawn/releases/tag/v3.10.4

THIS RUSSIAN GUY IS INSANE WTF

Can anyone confirm please, that Zeex's Compiler v3.10.4 is safe to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by niCe
View Post
Can anyone confirm please, that Zeex's Compiler v3.10.4 is safe to use?
I've been using it for development for a while, works completely fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
View Post
Pardon me if I don't trust "random Russian guy". That compiler is not open source so god knows what might be contained inside it. His severe lack of English doesn't help either, the more so if you think about the fact that the compiler source is in English and all documentation (Implementer's Guide and all) is also in English. And then there's this. It doesn't give the warning anymore but still, use at your own risk.

Let me be the "liaison officer" for him here & clear up some of the confusion.

Yes, this compiler is indeed by "some Russian guy".. but please at least refer to it as "nonamenoname's compiler" or at least "BigETI's compiler".. I hate how anything "Russian affiliated" immediately becomes sketchy / treated differently.

Yes, the compiler utilizes a different compiler & has much better multihreading performance. Thus the outstanding compile time.

As for the source code, I myself have it & can confirm that it indeed has no malicious code whatsoever. All you have to do is ask him for the source.. at least that's all I had to do. I'll ask him if he's okay with me making a GitHub repo or at least posting the source on here.

EDIT
actually someone already beat me to it! code is now public.. so now you can see for yourself.. no mysterious sophisticated viruses..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_Less
View Post
I've been to Russia 7 times, worked there, and have many Russian friends. No-one but you said anything about it being bad, that was simply all that was known about the author at the time and it stuck. It probably isn't going to change either, as that is how it is known and using a different name will cause confusion with people thinking that is yet another branch.
Yeah, maybe I can be a bit defensive at times.. but it's more of a general feeling; not something specific to this topic. If it wasn't for the language barrier, I bet SA-MP would have much more to offer to the English community. Alot of the most striking features I've seen have been in Russian servers.

Anyways, to the other reply; I agree, that'd be great if NoName would apply his modifications to the pawn-lang repo. Hell, I'll have a look myself, and see if this is something possible to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaprnks
View Post
Yeah, maybe I can be a bit defensive at times.. but it's more of a general feeling; not something specific to this topic. If it wasn't for the language barrier, I bet SA-MP would have much more to offer to the English community. Alot of the most striking features I've seen have been in Russian servers.

Anyways, to the other reply; I agree, that'd be great if NoName would apply his modifications to the pawn-lang repo. Hell, I'll have a look myself, and see if this is something possible to do
if you need opinions why people don't like russian software, please goto the sa-mp forums discord and contact Marcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by std
View Post
if you need opinions why people don't like russian software, please goto the sa-mp forums discord and contact Marcel
SA-MP forums has a discord? :O finally upgraded from the IRC channel