About ovh 'DDoS protection'.

So I've recently changed host to ovh as many of my friends recommend me it cause of its 'ddos protection', well I've been using it for about 2 weeks by now, and I must say; I am very very disappointed!

My server gets attacked kinda twice a day, and ovh sends me a mail saying server is under attack thus we're mitigating all traffic, but meanwhile all players ( usually ~80) timeout and cannot connect to server until this attack is over!

I had been using another host (BlazingFast) for about 2 years had same ppl threatening me, but never had a single harm.

When I asked them about this, they replied saying:
Quote:

For VPS, antiDDoS option is in standard mode, that means if you receive an
attack,
the antiddos protection start in 120 seconds from attack incoming time.

If the attack is powerful, your server could crashes down during this initial
120 seconds.

You can set up rules to empower the antiddos function, fro you IP tab in your
OVH Customer's Space,
by clicking on settings icon on the right of your IP.

Anyway, if the incoming attack is not comparable to preconfigured patterns in
OVH antiddos,
the attack can pass through it and makes the server crash.

If an attack pass through antiddos system, you can recover the proper logs and
send all to OVH's Abuse
section, by filling the form in this link:
http://www.ovh.it/abuse/
This is total bullshit.

OVH Dedicated Servers Game Server Protection are better for attacks like this.

https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/game/

I was working as scripter in a freeroam Hosted Tab server which uses ovh's VPSs. After two weeks, the server shut down because one of the clients of OVH made a ticket there which tells that the VPS is stolen by the server's owner and he changed the details (like pass etc) of the VPS. They scammed the server owner for $50. Now he changed the host.
OVH is totally shit and untrusted for me.

BlazingFast is the best, i tested it and no ddos attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSmith
Посмотреть сообщение
OVH Dedicated Servers Game Server Protection are better for attacks like this.

https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/game/
Yep, this is it. OVH VPS should only be used for small servers that don't get too much attention since they are not designed to withstand large attacks with UDP and TCP involved. Soyoustart.com also has game server protection and their lowest offering is 59.00 per month for an i7 with 16gb.

Well it doesn't mean they are 100% Anti-DDoS... you know there are a lot of exploits which bypasses OVH filters...

Did you at least bother asking for how to add those rules? They helped me set it up when I asked.

I did, even support replies take days and days

Well I don't feel the same disappointment. I've experienced how bad VPS's can be. Had one in Spain last year, it was awful... bad connection, laggy and well it was in Spanish. In the end OVH was even cheaper and provided a lot more so for me OVH is gold. You could always try to buy one of those ddos protections that cost a fortune but I wouldn't recommend it. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPhantom
Посмотреть сообщение
Yep, this is it. OVH VPS should only be used for small servers that don't get too much attention since they are not designed to withstand large attacks with UDP and TCP involved. Soyoustart.com also has game server protection and their lowest offering is 59.00 per month for an i7 with 16gb.
Sorry, I meant to say Soyoustart.

I had a SoYouStart server for Mini-Missions and it worked like a treat. They're owned by OVH too, just on older hardware, hence the cheaper prices.

Highly recommend this.

I'd rather change back to BlazingFast, it costs a bit more but its stable and protected

If you buy a VPS for $3.5 and expect it to be full immune against DDoS, then you shouldn't probably host a server. And I have a feeling that you're shilling for BlazingFast, just searching their name on the forum here and you've mentioned them lotta times, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKarim
View Post
If you buy a VPS for $3.5 and expect it to be full immune against DDoS, then you shouldn't probably host a server. And I have a feeling that you're shilling for BlazingFast, just searching their name on the forum here and you've mentioned them lotta times, lol.
Who's talking about 3.5 USD per month though?

Well first of all VPS, means shared resources, and that's what you are signing for when you rent space in data center 3.0
Second, people take DoS protection as something universal, when its actually something that has to be hand crafted and tuned. They can setup rules to detect DoS attack, but for example samp uses quite low bandwidth and it has limited connections per IP (one per player and one for query - query connection is opened and closed within milliseconds) Also someone mentioned TCP and DoS in one sentence, just skip that post and forget about it.

My suggestion for you is to play with firewall rules and help OVH routers detect DoS attack. If you dont know anything about firewalls then i guess your only way is to hire someone (and i suggest you some company and not Indian kid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLearner
View Post
I'd rather change back to BlazingFast, it costs a bit more but its stable and protected
Let me tell you something.
THERE IS NO HOST THAT OFFERS YOU 100% DDoS PROTECTION AS I SAID THERE ARE MANY METHODS THAT BYPASSES THEIR PROTECTIONS.
Just go on with a host that is more stable on DDoS attacks I mean it can face a lot of gbp/s don't choose protection-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKarim
View Post
I paid alot more for it...

Use Vultr. They charge 10$ for DDoS protection but it works flawless. Had a community with 50-70 playerbase under heavy attacks, no issues.