possible to host both minecraft and samp on vps?

Hello is it possible to host both samp server and minecraft server on the one vps with the same ip just different ports?

It is possible. You can also host a forum, webpage, any other game and whatever you want.

It's obviously possible (depending on your specifications), although in interest of performance and general stability it's recommended that you'd use seperate servers, especially if you're planning on having a decent amount of players (or just using a script that requires good or heavy performance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abagail
View Post
It's obviously possible (depending on your specifications), although in interest of performance and general stability it's recommended that you'd use seperate servers, especially if you're planning on having a decent amount of players (or just using a script that requires good or heavy performance).
I wouldn't follow this advice, there are VPSs with 50 GB RAM, 10 cores, which could run all those and more perfectly fine.

Minecraft eats a lot of RAM, a lot more than SA-MP. Also remember that loading multiple chunks at the same time in MC also requires a good and stable internet, to add on what above peeps stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheezIt
View Post
I wouldn't follow this advice, there are VPSs with 50 GB RAM, 10 cores, which could run all those and more perfectly fine.
It depends on the virtualization whatsoever, an OpenVZ VPS with 50 GB RAM and 10 vCores will perform the same or even worse (it depends on the provider and how much he's overselling in the node servers) as a dedicated server that has 4 cores @ 2.7-3.4 GHz and 8 GB RAM. So I kinda agree with Abagail, get a separate decent server for MC (dedicated or KVM).

Of course it's possible.

Yeah it's possible for sure, just depends on your specs, like people have said above, minecraft uses alot of ram, of course it depends on if its modded or not, also on how many plugins or players you have. I'd suggest to have atleast 2gb of ram for vanilla server and modded i'd say 4gb.
Samp uses port 7777 as default whilst minecraft uses 25565 for default so yes running them on the same ip is possible, if you have multiple samp/minecraft servers just gotta change the port obviously.
Also it might be a good idea to get a dedicated server aswell if your budget is big enough, you can actually get some decent dedicated servers for 60$

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKarim
View Post
It depends on the virtualization whatsoever, an OpenVZ VPS with 50 GB RAM and 10 vCores will perform the same or even worse (it depends on the provider and how much he's overselling in the node servers) as a dedicated server that has 4 cores @ 2.7-3.4 GHz and 8 GB RAM. So I kinda agree with Abagail, get a separate decent server for MC (dedicated or KVM).
Nah, mate. That's a huge waste of money.

VPSs often come with dedicated RAM, 100% SSD and a 100 Mbit/s or 1 Gbit/s port. Please do not tell me that a 50 GB RAM, and a ten core processor cannot handle a SA-MP and Minecraft server altogether. Even a 2 GB VPS from OVH handles both on the same server pretty well, though the number of max players on the Minecraft server may have to be limited to a certain quantity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheezIt
View Post
Nah, mate. That's a huge waste of money.

VPSs often come with dedicated RAM, 100% SSD and a 100 Mbit/s or 1 Gbit/s port. Please do not tell me that a 50 GB RAM, and a ten core processor cannot handle a SA-MP and Minecraft server altogether. Even a 2 GB VPS from OVH handles both on the same server pretty well, though the number of max players on the Minecraft server may have to be limited to a certain quantity.
You never heard of overselling? Some providers use 64 GB RAM & cheap CPU (or not) servers to allocate more than 1 TB of RAM to VMs, and host like 250 VMs in one server especially in OVZ, so "dedicated" RAM doesn't really exist, and CPUs are shared, if one user is abusing it by running some CPU intensive program, it'll affect the rest of the VMs, not to mention that the 1 Gbit/s port is also shared.

Please note that only bad (shitty, or whatever you call them) providers do this, yeah there's good providers doing a healthy oversell that doesn't affect users, but you'll never be sure while having a VM, so a small Ј20 dedi will be the best solution.

So basically, if you want better performance, truly dedicated resources and more security, get a dedicated server.