Bots spamming random text on my server

I had someone join my server with the name of Ajugar_Futbol. He left and about a minute later 6 bots with the same IP address as this person joined the server and started spamming the chat with random text. Here is a short snip of the text...

Код:
[08:43:40] [chat] [BlueBot_CZg7]: Q3mU6cMJ3hDMntbnoRiEwOsJb2i7qPiBsqM4b0df8PwrXxHNDbCLJ7PyLquu
[08:43:40] [chat] [BlueBot_CZg7]: PcMqtFmS4iY0EtOHjIsgxRhULWHBNSN20gmIswXF0W1ud2GztiSfWOJcWqTH
[08:43:40] [chat] [BlueBot_CZg7]: fuoJgYa7bJAE5Mku0DT4hEwwyblcrtXvTxie2BAbHj2YSLLwbzoQhKLMSUbp
[08:43:40] [chat] [BlueBot_CZg7]: qZrIYFaoOKOrRq8kHkuvH3ExYB11LRdJxHEqGiFedOoCoZxxXexiOAWmGwPU
[08:43:40] [chat] [BlueBot_CZg7]: WnA42YGIvDPQx9Nf27gAU0Jsp5DGoSMlieTInhfzxJzUqtVkdiyorwGcfJkZ
[08:43:40] [chat] [BlueBot_CZg7]: 375fAMyBGesRjvZ6pTlmfl0EGXzSkNGIixOqMsCzfx5Hk29mhNTdJTTNQfyQ
[08:43:40] [chat] [BlueBot_CZg7]: 9MbiOQHEEMSRBTOeckDpkG4hqrPLVACkBhTNNqJr1ikA7o2cd4x20w03gxAV
[08:43:40] [chat] [BlueBot_CZg7]: 4d7ZUXwXUOf5lCUKann9e271PwHR4DtXCEcTyqSQyLMhzGewA3psO8Uh640L
[08:43:40] [chat] [BlueBot_CZg7]: PvasKTxXDCs2zNnMtNm7Npq7w3WQUGCcNcLgNOHBS6LZtEZ11MolOkrxzCiZ
[08:43:40] [chat] [BlueBot_CZg7]: RhdYSQPLIX38XRcVTWgw2Ji8ttwQT3pKmxJlItVvgEW5ZgMkONWOK24F7ahU
[08:43:40] [chat] [BlueBot_CZg7]: XXa2sQEs1X3wQ0s2duuztC5P5pkUdpQsCWIGNgyzovQIPoh1iVHG4oX5fzTF
[08:43:40] [chat] [BlueBot_CZg7]: xPeqb4G7BoX4h4WxDXT11VZFB3azy7doBH6lsEIFDaQjv0kh7pIvJhPI8oKh
This went on for four minutes and was thousands of lines of text in the chat. Does anyone know the purpose of this? Is this an attack?

what you want to do is tbh is limit the amount of players that can join under a single ip, although this doesnt look like a attack just looks like a mad egyption

It's a troll sending over multiple clients over his own IP(in this case) to spam your server.
It has no purpose but to bother you.

Best limit connections like bennyy said, or introduce a small introduction part where a client is forced to register/login/etc

I would add a random message on connect that the player must enter correctly to play on the server, this way you can prevent unwanted bots from spamming.

You can also prevent players joining from multiple IP addresses, but if the attacker is smart he will use a free lsit of proxy / vpn servers and he can still do the damage.

So its best you implement both ideas.

Would've thought it would be wise to have anti-spam measures in your script...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew_Sumi
Посмотреть сообщение
Would've thought it would be wise to have anti-spam measures in your script...
^

Also, back in December 2016 when I was facing this kind of issues, I had done these steps to avoid them completely:

- The usual antibots spam include (IP)
- Anti spam script.
- Made a global variable 'lastconnect', and would check if the last connection to the server was before 1 sec, if yes send the message to all with the usual text 'x has joined the server', this way you would avoid the spam they create while joining.
- Made a global variable 'lastdisconnect', similiar to last connect.
- And in the end, lasttext[MAX_PLAYERS].

With anti spams & these variables, the problem was fully solved for me.

Thanks for the tips guys. I've just put in some anti spam measures and that's solved the problem for me. I've noticed on occasion I'm getting people sending fake death messages. How boring are these peoples lives that they go around and do this shit? Like seriously they need to get a job or a hobby.