Is it worth coming back?

Well, recently I was thinking about coming back to scripting, I had some pros and cons but I was still interested in what you guys think. I haven't really scripted that much, a few basic things. I was improving my skills but suddenly I didn't feel the same as I did so I left it for good. It also had something to do with personal things I'd rather not talk about. After I left it, every time I decide to make something, like a filterscript, gamemode or just some other things I got bored in a matter of minutes and ended up deleting the whole thing. My "skills" in pawn have fainted away but I think I might come back. I got that same feeling I had years ago and I want to come back but I am not sure if it's worth.

What are your thoughts on this? Have you had the same feeling I did?

If you enjoy doing it then go ahead, continue doing what you enjoy at.
But yeah, It's kinda worth. It's very nice to have a knowledge for any 'programing' language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oMa37
View Post
If you enjoy doing it then go ahead, continue doing what you enjoy at.
But yeah, It's kinda worth. It's very nice to have a knowledge for any 'programing' language.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm still not quite sure, I am currently working on a project and we'll see how it goes.

Good luck, If you need any help post in the help section, Don't be shy.

if you can make the commitment to sit behind your computer a few hours a day and lay down some code, go for it. What's the worst that can happen?

Let's say half way in you give up, you can always release your work or hand it over to others to complete for you and your formed community.

If your scripted skills have faded they will come back quite fast and if you did end up in a whole were always here to help you.

Just don't let people demotivate you and tell you SAMP is this, that, or whatever. Stay strong and soldier on.

I left samp last year because it didn't feel fun anymore and right now i'm back to coding but still a bit rusty but it feels fun

@IceCube!, appreciate it!

@oMa37, I'm not shy lol

@XBrainX, I left also left samp a few times, can't even call it leaving since I always came back, kind of like a vacation but I totally understand you. We'll see how it goes.

Do what you wanna do man, I mean, if you enjoy scripting... go ahead.

I'm almost finishing a mechanical engineering degree and at times I don't even sleep, so I stop scripting for months. Then, when I have enough free time I come back and I keep developing my gamemode. Why not?

In my opinion it's worth if you have a purpose.

Yes, why not spend your free time in something you like

Come back to coding, trust me. You'll love it like you did before.

I left it quite some time ago and also left my forum account, the only reason that was is because of the lack of knowledge I had about it. I came back to it recently and learnt much more and now I can make big lines of code.
Just come back. You'll be interested in it again.

@Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew_Sumi
View Post
Just because a language is easier, doesn't make it better, to learn, or to use.
This, some of the most powerful languages require lots of boring work to do powerful things.

In other languages it just gets lengthier to make a blank Window in C++ it has to be a minimum of 50 lines (removing checks, and a littteral bare bones window).

Then don't start me with setting up DirectX in C++ that is lengthy.

However the added difficulty only comes along due it being a higher level language which can really just do a whole lot more, I see your point though that PAWN may not be the best scripting language but it helps with your first steps into C and C++ if you wanted to move forward.

Quote:

Just because a language is easier, doesn't make it better, to learn, or to use.

Well if a language is easier that means it's easier to learn. And first of all we are talking about game scripting not writing programs, dx applications etc. PAWN isn't made for game scripting it never was. It's buggy outdated scripting language with no future or flexibility. I agree that PAWN helps you learn C++ in later days, since syntax is similar.

So after all these comments, are you back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffierr
View Post
So after all these comments, are you back?
Well tbh I didnt really think that other replies could change my opinion but I was still glad to read them. And yes I am back, again. I do hope to acomplish and learn much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithCooper
View Post
Well tbh I didnt really think that other replies could change my opinion but I was still glad to read them. And yes I am back, again. I do hope to acomplish and learn much more.
Good Luck

Alright, well, welcome back then.

it's worth to come back in samp after every 4-6 month vacation!

let's put this simple, the answer is no..

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaTTrO
View Post
Well if a language is easier that means it's easier to learn. And first of all we are talking about game scripting not writing programs, dx applications etc. PAWN isn't made for game scripting it never was. It's buggy outdated scripting language with no future or flexibility. I agree that PAWN helps you learn C++ in later days, since syntax is similar.
Well this is how C works, complete control.

You know you can make functions like that to make your life more simple... if you don't like lengthy work C is the best language you can really use to shorten it.