VPS SSD Distribution

Which Distribution Should i choose for samp server+ts+webhost

Centos.

I would also recommend Centos.

Centos 6 64bits or Centos 7 64bits

I much more prefer Debian. Especially the package manager seems way better. But it's really a matter of personal preference and if you've never worked with either you can start with either.

Ubuntu (which is based on Debian) seems to be the easiest for beginners; lots of courses start with that distro. Also, a 64-bit OS will not run a SA-MP server unless the 32-bit libraries are installed. So unless your VPS has more than 3GB RAM you should choose 32-bit instead.

Ubuntu & Debian easily for setup and easily for use for newbies.
Also for arch system, You can go with 32bit as it will be easily for setup your servers faster.

Ubuntu and debian... Those who usually get CentOS run into problems with the streamer and setting up their servers...

After all, they always turn up here trying to get help, can't do what needs to be done and end up going silent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoOob
View Post
Also for arch system, You can go with 32bit as it will be easily for setup your servers faster.
All you have to do is read the instructions on how to actually setup a Linux server to solve that issue... It's really not that much of a problem.

Scrap all of em, go with windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnater
View Post
Scrap all of em, go with windows.
And pay extra, lol? Enjoy wasting money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew_Sumi
View Post
And pay extra, lol? Enjoy wasting money?
Honestly, I bought my windows server from OVH aswell and it only costs around 15 euro...
If you are new to this whole linux thing and don't have someone to help you, you are better of spending these few euros more to avoid all the drama.
I've been using centos 7 over a year for hosting sa-mp servers and since last month I'm using a windows server and I'm much more satisfied with it.

Quote:
View Post
Honestly, I bought my windows server from OVH aswell and it only costs around 15 euro...
If you are new to this whole linux thing and don't have someone to help you, you are better of spending these few euros more to avoid all the drama.
I've been using centos 7 over a year for hosting sa-mp servers and since last month I'm using a windows server and I'm much more satisfied with it.
Linux has a lot more capability.

Just because you can't handle running a linux server, doesn't mean it's better to use windows.

Quote:
View Post
Or you could listen to this user since you never used Linux and you don't have any experienced Linux user to help you setting up the server. Running a Linux VPS isn't as simple as uploading script files and starting the server process. For setting up a server it takes more than that.

Quote:
View Post
Linux has a lot more capability.

Just because you can't handle running a linux server, doesn't mean it's better to use windows.
Please tell me what linux will have more to offer...

Exactly, everything that a linux server has to offer can simply be done on the windows server aswell.

Also it goes the same way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson
View Post
Or you could listen to this user since you never used Linux and you don't have any experienced Linux user to help you setting up the server. Running a Linux VPS isn't as simple as uploading script files and starting the server process. For setting up a server it takes more than that.
You must have not read my whole comment due your ignorance of trying to convince someone of a better operating system while it really depends on the user himself that wants to use it.

I've been using linux over a year as mentioned in my previous reply.

I'm not saying windows nor linux is better.

Nowadays both operating systems can offer you all that the other has.

Want to use PHP, perl whatever... Windows and linux.

Microsoft sql and the other stuff also goes well on linux.

Windows is great and all but I find controlling a linux vps (Ubuntu 14.04) easier through Putty.

Once you learn linux and mess with it more, you will become confident in it.

Being that it doesn't need a high-end CPU/RAM to run, it's a good thing to chuck on that 10 year old PC that's gathering dust.

PuTTY and WinSCP are the most basic things to use, Samba if you are on a LAN and want to simply use windows networking to upload.

Once you get used to it, know how it's setup, and where to find the info you need for your box, you really have to do jack.

It will stop being scary after a while, and like, fully, boxes can be up for months without needing to be restarted, or even looked at. Literally.

The other one is because everything is command line, if you want to retain all the commands, you simply grab your .bash_history every so often, and make little script snippets so you can remember which bits you did to get what.

As to big advantages? Less exploits and vulnerabilities, along with not having to restart the server every time a new update comes out.

A smaller requirement in traffic to connect to your server via SSH than RDP. Being able to use screen to bring up different instances of servers, viewing logs via grep, and tail...

But the crazier part in all of this, is if Linux wasn't the way to go, then why does Windows 10, now have inbuilt Ubuntu console?

Using that console alone would make you more confident in it. Rather than claiming you've used it for a year, then ditching it for windows, simply because you couldn't actually get your server running right.

Quote:
View Post
Rather than claiming you've used it for a year, then ditching it for windows, simply because you couldn't actually get your server running right.
I couldn't get my server running right? The way people are just assuming things is getting more crazier than the Ubuntu console in windows 10 you mentioned...

Really...

I would suggest using Debian

Quote:
View Post
I couldn't get my server running right? The way people are just assuming things is getting more crazier than the Ubuntu console in windows 10 you mentioned...

Really...
Fact is, this thread isn't about what distribution of windows you recommend... It's about what LINUX distribution you are recommending...

So in the end, are you not just spamming offtopic shit?

And yes, you obviously had a hard time understanding linux, and took the easy way out and switched, to winblows...