Anybody using a client-side anticheat?

Hey everyone, well today i came across an interesting Anti-Cheat on samp-ac.com. I was curious has anybody used this type of Anti-Cheat? Also what are peoples opinions about this? Does this have a good chance, or should i just stick to server-side anticheat? The thing is, i feel like the server-side anti cheats are just going to have their bugs, like false detections etc.. So what are your opinions?(Sorry, if i am not suppose to post an outside link here. I just thought that maybe it would be an interesting thing to discuss about.)

If you give people a client-sided anti cheat, they will either bypass them or won't play on your server because they're afraid of malware and viruses. You should make a server-sided anti cheat and make a packetloss detector.

Client-sided anti cheat can be reversed engineered or, can be hacked using memory-hacking, like the game trainers which enable specific cheats and unlock-ables.

There were numerous discussion of people who were forcing players to use mods to play on their server but most of the time people were objecting because MTA already exist, or either make the mods to improve the gameplay experience or completely, remove them.

So just think, if people can object on installing mods for playing, why can't they object on installing an anti cheat?

They will simply move on... (in 80% of cases)

Go with server-side anti-cheat. Nobody will bother downloading anything to play in a server out of thousands of servers running on SA-MP. Neither how better your server is would change that statement, and it's not just about what people think about security of files, why would someone download anything on his PC to play in a server.

Create an anti-cheat for client and server side. Don't obligate the players to download the client-side anti-cheater, but encourage them by giving bonuses and they'll be marked as "trusted" players, so you can minimize the server-side anti-cheat stress focusing on "non-trusted" players.

I guess I see what you guys are saying. I would have hoped that you know, more servers joined in on something like this. Because myself I think I would download something like this, to be safe from cheaters since I hate playing with people cheating on servers... Even tho if people did reverse engineer it, I feel like if it was constantly updated, wouldn't it get rid of the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatog
View Post
Create an anti-cheat for client and server side. Don't obligate the players to download the client-side anti-cheater, but encourage them by giving bonuses and they'll be marked as "trusted" players, so you can minimize the server-side anti-cheat stress focusing on "non-trusted" players.
That does sound like a good idea, encouraging players to use it but not making them.

I would not download another client to play a new server.

I'd make it optional, making players with the anti-cheat immune to being banned for cheating (also informing other players about this). Most players would deny a required anti-cheat to play or try out the server, so just back it up with a server-sided anti-cheat. This might be more work, but it will help players with skill (if you're good at the game, then you're bound to be called a cheater most of the time).

Come to our Discord if you want more info. It's at the bottom of that page. Public servers have shown to have been pretty negative on adopting this if it's forced. However, many popular servers have made it an optional addon.

I took a look at your anti-cheat and memory reading @Whitetiger, it only seems to be checking that the models/textures weren't modified (in a certain simple way). I don't really think that is a good way on detecting for example memory rewriting for example aiming itself (aimbot) or something like that, correct me if I'm wrong.

What's stopping player's from tampering with a client mod, though? All it takes is a hex edit to manipulate the output of a function. You just can't trust a client.

Well it all depends on your skill and your will, for example look at what MTA has done, their anti cheat is pretty good. I know it's built in game, but you can also do something like that with another client sided app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadilab
View Post
I took a look at your anti-cheat and memory reading @Whitetiger, it only seems to be checking that the models/textures weren't modified (in a certain simple way). I don't really think that is a good way on detecting for example memory rewriting for example aiming itself (aimbot) or something like that, correct me if I'm wrong.
You're wrong. But I won't discuss in detail about how things work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
View Post
What's stopping player's from tampering with a client mod, though?
Many things.