PAWN Language - Learning

Hi there,

Previously, I've attempted to learn PAWN and to some success; learned some basic stuff. I've been a Community Manager with communities that actively had over 90 players. However, now I'm looking to get far more into the developer sides of things.

What I'm looking for is someone I can refer to for help, whether that be forum messages or Skype. If anyone with experience is willing to sort of mentor or guide me in the right direction, it'd be much appreciated. Perhaps something can be arranged if need be.

Kind Regards,
Kuhlide

Wiki page + scripting help section & you're ready to go.

Read the Wiki, read some tutorials and only use the scripting help section if you can't get something right, but at least try to do it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLearner
Посмотреть сообщение
Wiki page + scripting help section & you're ready to go.
Unfortunately, I wish it was as simple as that for myself. I've tried to do so but I can't seem to grasp firm concepts with that method. I more or less check the wiki when I'm not entirely sure on a function here and there.

You mean concepts like data types, sutrctures and such?

Compuphases guide also helps out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Bios]Marcel
Посмотреть сообщение
You mean concepts like data types, sutrctures and such?
Pretty much. Like, I understand how callbacks work and I refer to the wiki on certain callbacks if I don't understand them entirely or want to touch up on them. But there's things like you mentioned that I simply can't wrap my head around. I'm far better at learning one on one, do you have Skype? Perhaps you could lend me a hand here and there and I might be able to reimburse you for your time.

Download scripts, analyze them and try to understand how they work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spmn
Посмотреть сообщение
Download scripts, analyze them and try to understand how they work.
That might not be a good idea There is really messy scripts out there and some might be too complicated for a beginner. i'd not consider doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Bios]Marcel
Посмотреть сообщение
That might not be a good idea There is really messy scripts out there and some might be too complicated for a beginner. i'd not consider doing that.
Actually it depends on each person style. For instance, I just can't learn by reading tutorials or documentations, I must code and experiment in order to learn something new, so analyzing and editing an already publised project is the way to go for me. Also, it is a good way to learn tricks and "unwritten rules" used by advanced programmers.

I agree that much code is poorly written, but that code can be an example of how NOT TO write code.