Would this work?

So, when it comes to script optimization( specially to the smart use of strings length) you would find me create a string new str[250] just to display a message like Welcome Back!
So I started focussing on change the way I work into a cleaner one, well, while I was working on something a couple of hours ago, it occurred to me something that can use as much low string size to store player's name, something much smaller than MAX_PLAYER_NAME, and then I wondered, what if I used this
PHP Code:
#define P_NAME strlen(GetName(%0))
GetName(playerid){
    new 
name_str[MAX_PLAYER_NAME];

GetPlayerName(playeridname_strsizeof(name_str));
    return 
name_str;

I don't know if this would work or not, so I wanted to ask you guys, what do you thing?

You can't declare arrays with size unknown at compile-time, so the following code is invalid and will result in a compilation error:
Code:
new str[PNAME(x)];

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spmn
View Post
You can't declare arrays with size unknown at compile-time, so the following code is invalid and will result in a compilation error:
Code:
new str[PNAME(x)];
thanks for the fast reply

The more cells you define, the slower it gets. That's why it's recommended to use a number that is close to what you will need.

For client messages, set it to 144. You can't use any more than that.

It would have been nice if pawn supported dynamic allocation of arrays.

y_malloc allows dynamic allocation, but I'm certain 99% of people don't have the need for anything other than static allocation. I'd rather go with smarter compiler which doesn't take ages to allocate arrays.

just use new s[24];

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeStyle175
View Post
just use new s[24];
MAX_PLAYER_NAME + 1 is actually "more correct".

no....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeStyle175
View Post
no....
SickAttack is right, MAX_PLAYER_NAME + 1(Null terminator).