What are your biggest takeaways from running/developing a SA-MP server?

I don't know if there's been a thread like this in the past, but I would like to know how everyone used the skills they learned from developing and/or running a SA-MP Server. Obviously, a lot of people here started at a very young age. I started my first SA-MP server when I was in elementary, but never truly peaked until my last attempt in my college years.

My biggest takeaway from running a SA-MP server? Patience is a major key. Dealing with complaints from high-pitched kids (eg. "HE METAGAMED MY LOCATION WTF LOL") turned me into a pretty patient guy. I used this patience to work as tech support for a company for half a year and now I'm doing a lot of freelance work. Started my own small hosting business as well. I'm pretty sure, had I not learned how to be patient as fuck, I probably would've cussed back at a lot of rude customers during my days as a tech support. I use a lot of patience to deal with people who have zero idea on how to setup their own website, much less use a control panel to do so, on a daily basis.

People who developed intricate gamemodes, filterscripts and etc. for SA-MP, were you able to move on to other languages and find work in the IT industry?

Server owners, admins and helpers, did the experience in managing a community give you a boost in finding a management-related career?

/discuss

My biggest takeaway is that most people lie when under pressure of the prospect of being prisoned for being retards.

The second is that no-body gives a crap about others in "online gaming communities", other than their friends and who they "like" even if who they like is the most two-faced PoS...

As for the secondary of this question, being about how it's helped learn other stuff, and go on to bigger things, the general teachings of the procedure of debugging, testing and making structural code, with better logic, do work in other languages, and it ends up helping when you need to read code, and look for faults.

This isn't much of the case these years for me at least but in 2012-2014 I used to run a community and if some people did not get their way they would send DDoS attacks and usually threaten me with releasing personal information and stuff. Really shows how desperate people can be.

Being part of sa-mp as both developer and a server co-owner certainly helped me extract various things that helped me in my life.

As a co owner, I have met people and made many friends, I was exposed to different kinds of situations (betrayal, etc..) that basically occur IRL.. Therefore this helped me develop my social skills.

[As a developer, the obstacles I found in my way to achieving my goals (make certain complicated scripts) were countless..
Starting from 0 with no previous scripting knowledge added to the fact that I was really poor at English, I couldn't even understand other people replies when I used to post threads seeking for help in "Scripting Help" section, nor I could properly express my ideas and explain my problems. This being said, I have put goals in front of me and was determined to achieve them, but they seemed to be impossible to reach. I was thinking of in-game systems but could not even find a way to script them, exactly where to start from..
As time went by I started giving less fucks about my studies and investing them in scripting, I quickly progressed, my English skills have considerably improved and I was being able to interact with people on SA-MP forums and understand explanations in scripting help section, so I made what I thought was impossible to make, and that only increased my patience and determination. Little by little, I realized that nothing is impossible.
]

I have learned how to concentrate on a single thing at a time when I'm working on it, have nothing distracting me when I'm trying think of something so that I can do it properly. This helped me in Maths exams.

I have learned how to quickly & properly react to critical situations (eg critical bugs and errors) without losing control, this helped me beat stress at school and know how to deal with serious problems.

Developing for servers also helped me excel in coding at school, which is also important to me.
I have learned some PHP and other languages, which I think is a good point as well.

I believe that all of this will help me become the leader I want to be when I grow up

I started a server around 2009-2010 with one of my friends from school. We have downloaded some shitty script and started to edit it. It was not a serious server, we were having fun with stuff like ingame map editing. We were using medit (Mabako's map editor), however it was buggy when you had more objects than 256 I think... We have of course tried to increase array sizes and such things, but still couldn't get it to work, so we made our own map editors (Both of us made one )... Eventually, we both quit samp.

Since then, I have been by far the best programmer in my high school and among the top coders on university. My logic thinking is so good thanks to samp (pawn), that my first week (or so) on the university, we had to do something in logisim (logic circuit simulator), some simple circuit that calculates (X OR Y) AND (X AND Z) kind of thing. Day after, I made my own calculator in Logisim, and some time after that I made my own programmable CPU. Some time later, I made a CPU with GPU, wrote my own assembler and programmed tetris game for that CPU. Few days later I have done the same, but this time it was snake game.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCBa1NH4ORE

I don't know if all this is thanks to SAMP, or I have some genetic predispositions for this stuff. Anyway, show goes on:

After finishing my first university year, I have made a bitcoin mining botnet, earning some $$$ (around 60$) in 2 months, however I had it in bitcoin. So i had to convert it to USD/EUR somehow and transfer it to my bank account. That is when I discovered money exchanges. I was using exchange called coin.mx, it is defunct now, so don't take it as advertisement. What I have noticed, is that on this exchange, difference between bids and asks was so big (around 2-3%)... If you were patient enough, you could buy some bitcoin for eg. 520$ and sell it for 532$ (cost per unit). Guess what? I made a bot that automated this, always placed the best order in the order book, so when someone sold bitcoin, I bought it from him and vice versa. This way I made my first real money. Bought expensive stuff and bragged about it, great life. But.. why is coin.mx defunct today? Turned out that its owners were using it as a way to launder money (that might explain why there was enough volume and such great differences between bids and asks) lol, so FBI closed their site overnight, confiscating all money its members had there. This was on 21. 7. 2014 - I have never seen my 2000Ђ I was trading with since then.

RIP, but life goes on and I am still in algo trading business. Thanks samp

EDIT: >Here< is screenshot of that first calculator I made - randomly stumbled upon it. You can see that I didn't know how to do it properly, use multi-bit cables etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]Kurence[
Посмотреть сообщение
I started a server around 2009-2010 with one of my friends from school. We have downloaded some shitty script and started to edit it. It was not a serious server, we were having fun with stuff like ingame map editing. We were using medit (Mabako's map editor), however it was buggy when you had more objects than 256 I think... We have of course tried to increase array sizes and such things, but still couldn't get it to work, so we made our own map editors (Both of us made one )... Eventually, we both quit samp.

Since then, I have been by far the best programmer in my high school and among the top coders on university. My logic thinking is so good thanks to samp (pawn), that my first week (or so) on the university, we had to do something in logisim (logic circuit simulator), some simple circuit that calculates (X OR Y) AND (X AND Z) kind of thing. Day after, I made my own calculator in Logisim, and some time after that I made my own programmable CPU. Some time later, I made a CPU with GPU, wrote my own assembler and programmed tetris game for that CPU. Few days later I have done the same, but this time it was snake game.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCBa1NH4ORE

I don't know if all this is thanks to SAMP, or I have some genetic predispositions for this stuff. Anyway, show goes on:

After finishing my first university year, I have made a bitcoin mining botnet, earning some $$$ (around 60$) in 2 months, however I had it in bitcoin. So i had to convert it to USD/EUR somehow and transfer it to my bank account. That is when I discovered money exchanges. I was using exchange called coin.mx, it is defunct now, so don't take it as advertisement. What I have noticed, is that on this exchange, difference between bids and asks was so big (around 2-3%)... If you were patient enough, you could buy some bitcoin for eg. 520$ and sell it for 532$ (cost per unit). Guess what? I made a bot that automated this, always placed the best order in the order book, so when someone sold bitcoin, I bought it from him and vice versa. This way I made my first real money. Bought expensive stuff and bragged about it, great life. But.. why is coin.mx defunct today? Turned out that its owners were using it as a way to launder money (that might explain why there was enough volume and such great differences between bids and asks) lol, so FBI closed their site overnight, confiscating all money its members had there. This was on 21. 7. 2014 - I have never seen my 2000Ђ I was trading with since then.

RIP, but life goes on and I am still in algo trading business. Thanks samp
Now that's some interesting story, I like the fact when one excels in studies and coding thanks to this community, at that moment you start to appreciate the several years you spent in samp, wish you a good luck in the future dude!

I made a GPU with more then 3.5GB of vRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymel
Посмотреть сообщение
I made a GPU with more then 3.5GB of vRAM
big time fuck up

kthxbai

People care more about power than your community. Even just today someone added me and asked to leak a friend's script, probably so they could open their own version of the server.

People who have been around for a while and been part of a couple of roleplaying servers are usually very elitist and usually have a god complex.