Would you play a roleplay server if it required you to download a modpack?

Hey guys,

Me and a couple of others have been playing around with the idea of distributing a custom modpack (.img and .txd) with our in-the-works roleplay server.

Some of the ways we're thinking of using it is:
  • Custom content to improve the gamemode. For example, a plastic-wrapped generic car model to attach to the car transporters.
  • Developing interiors or allowing players to develop interiors in Sims 3 (as the textures match SA quite nicely), and then exporting it to DF and adding it to the server.
  • Custom images/textures for textdraws for a better user interface
We've found a way to make these available without requiring players to re-download the whole gta3.img or replacing any existing models/content - so it would literally be additive, and it wouldn't interfere with your game on any server but ours.

The way I was thinking of distributing it is to have a publicly hosted SVN repository and to give players the choice of either using a custom .NET app that periodically polls the SVN repo and pulls in any updates, or for the security conscious they could manually checkout the repo.

I realise however this is a pretty contentious issue for many - so my question is: how many of you would be willing to download a pack to play a roleplay server if it was a game changing experience, bearing in mind that games like ArmA have required this for years and if you're joining a roleplay server there's the whole bullshit portal process to go through anyway.

Thanks for any feedback in advance - whether it's positive or negative.

Nope, nope, nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickAttack
Посмотреть сообщение
Nope, nope, nope.
I would +rep you but apparently it won't let me

If it truly is a game changing experience, why not? I've seen this attempted before for a zombie (RP?) server, but it didn't work out so well since everyone wanted to preserve their own mods.

Doesn't MTA do this to some level? I remember having to wait a few minutes for assets to load up when I joined a server there.

Nope.

As said above, no.

Nope, I wouldn't even click on their forum adv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luicy.
Посмотреть сообщение
you mean like in MTA when you join some server and you automatically get custom content?

Sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luicy.
Посмотреть сообщение
So you'd rather visit a server that's all about refunds, VIP, bad roleplay and bad English rather than a server you know of the developer has put a lot of time and effort in? You're mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairyll
Посмотреть сообщение
If it truly is a game changing experience, why not? I've seen this attempted before for a zombie (RP?) server, but it didn't work out so well since everyone wanted to preserve their own mods.

Doesn't MTA do this to some level? I remember having to wait a few minutes for assets to load up when I joined a server there.
Yeah, there's a server side mod system so regardless of the users current mods they will be replaced whilst playing said server.

Quite a useful tool to be honest, i wish some clever fucker would come up with one for samp haha.