Why SA-MP isn't using latest PAWN?

I'm pretty sure it would be good if SA-MP uses the updated PAWN version which comes from the git repository, also many scripters might find it useful. That's just my opinion, but I'd like to hear your opinions too.

There's this plugin: https://sampforum.blast.hk/showthread.php?tid=614833 - But yeah, there's some downsides to it (read the topic).

As far as I know, SA-MP uses a custom version of it. Updating to the latest version will make A LOT (ALL) of servers' and releases' code obsolete without applying any changes as syntaxes and stuff changed.

Such as: The keyword "enum" and "char" was removed.

Packed string: "this is a packed string"

Unpacked string: ''this is an unpacked string''
``this is also an unpacked string''

Etc.

I guess everyone can update their scripts, or even add something like choosing either use the old version or the new version in PAWN.

The plugin has downsides, but I guess it might do the work, though it would be better if the new PAWN is implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayse
View Post
I guess everyone can update their scripts, or even add something like choosing either use the old version or the new version in PAWN.

The plugin has downsides, but I guess it might do the work, though it would be better if the new PAWN is implemented.
It isn't as easy as you just said.

Quote:
View Post

Scripts have a lot of lines, it would be quite the job. Not to mention the releases, who is gonna update all of them?

Any other pro reason besides your guess?

Quote:
View Post
many scripters might find it useful
What scripters are willing to go through 50k+ lines of code to make their scripts compatible with PAWN 4? Not to mention that most emit stuff would be unsupported. Or what about all those plugins that would require to upgrade to a newer AMX SDK? The list can go on.

Too much of a hassle for such a small to inexistent upgrade.

Quote:
View Post
I'm pretty sure it would be good if SA-MP uses the updated PAWN version which comes from the git repository, also many scripters might find it useful. That's just my opinion, but I'd like to hear your opinions too.
Better question would be why samp uses pawn at all...or even better would be why are we using samp? (And it wasnt meant to be a joke)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFT_HUNTER
View Post
why are we using samp? (And it wasnt meant to be a joke)
What's the alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairyll
View Post
What's the alternative?
https://sampforum.blast.hk/showthread.php?tid=618507

Read the second page.