Taking over on someone's work

Hi, I'd like to ask something which keeps bothering me since when I started on modifying LAdmin yesterday.

As you can see I have been browsing some of the existing admin system around the forum, and LAdmin caught my eye's attention. While browsing through the pages, I have seen one of the user's post about LAdmin getting a potential and blah-blah-blah if it is updated into today's standards. (Converting it from dcmd, strtok, dudb/dini to -> zcmd, sscanf2, SQLite) That post inspires me to modify & upgrade LAdmin (though I might get some negative feedbacks, and I am fine with that!) - Besides LethaL is inactive, He left SA-MP long time ago and there's no one who can manage LAdmin.

I am planning to take over LAdmin's development but I am concerned that there might be some consequences such as like I might get an infraction or It might get deleted (placing my modified script into a trash).

What do you think?

Edit; I have seen some potential on the admin system itself & I would also like to help the other scripters who would like to update LAdmin to today's SA-MP scripting standards

Doubt there's an issue really, just maintain those credits.

As long as you give a nod to his work, as well as the others that contributed to his, and do it (the work) justice, there shouldn't be a problem.

That's just from me personally, as I wouldn't mind if someone read my work from way back and made it better and updated to the latest functions.

After all, he hasn't been here since 2010, and I doubt he'd mind about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew_Sumi
Посмотреть сообщение
Doubt there's an issue really, just maintain those credits.

As long as you give a nod to his work, as well as the others that contributed to his, and do it (the work) justice, there shouldn't be a problem.

That's just from me personally, as I wouldn't mind if someone read my work from way back and made it better and updated to the latest functions.

After all, he hasn't been here since 2010, and I doubt he'd mind about it.
This ^. I even encourage people to update older scripts and rerelease them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKe Elite
Посмотреть сообщение
Edit; I have seen some potential on the admin system itself & I would also like to help the other scripters who would like to update LAdmin to today's SA-MP scripting standards
Put it on GitHub.

People has been suggesting me to put my JakAdmin as well, but I have no damn idea how GitHub works. Anyone who would assist me out on how GitHub works would be appreciated and credited out on both JakAdmin and LAdmin's Re-Release

LAdmin's progression;

- I am still worried though that the moderators of the forum might delete and give me an infraction for re-releasing LAdmin. (I almost got banned due to infractions 1 year ago, 9 out of 10 infractions LMAO)

It should be updated.

If you give credits to LethaL, then your script shouldn't be removed from forum.

I was expecting a negative feedback from y'all guys, Thank god it wasn't a negative feedback.

Though I would like to know how do GitHub works and blah-blah, I will be moving JakAdmin and LAdmin to GitHub.

Github is pretty awesome. BitBucket is what I use for my private repos as it's free.

SVN is something that many people don't realize is actually a very good way of having good teams, as long as you learn how to use it correctly. It also gives a good backup so you don't lose your files as easily when you have computer troubles.

Just ensure you can understand the branches system, and how to pull and push.

Basically if you're working on something real crazy, with major changes, use a branch. If someone commits before you, pull first, verify your work still functions, and then push.

Just don't upload the sa-mp includes, or the server package files. You can use an ignore filter to get rid of them.

LAdmin is like seriously junked up. There are much better ways to do basically EVERYTHING in LAdmin. If you plan on updating it, you might as well start from scratch.

It was appealing in it's time... but now?

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
LuxAdmin is already an edit of LAdmin, I wanted to start off with the original. This will be the second official LAdmin edit to be released on SAMP Forums after 5 years since LuxAdmin
Well it was just a suggestion, I thought it would make it easier for you.
Anyway, I am one of the one who asked for an SQL conversion, I tried to learn it by myself, but never got the time to do it properly.
So now I am excited to see someone actually doing it.
I wish you the best of luck with it, and I'm looking forward for the release.

We need some collaborative projects by the sounds...

Just read the license, really. It states what you can and can't do with the script. If there isn't a license then the script is inherently copyrighted by the original owner and in that case you don't have permission to modify it in any way. This is why it's important to include a proper license with each release; MIT is a good license, as is the MPL. GPL is ultrabad because it's not compatible with any other license and it forces you to make all your code open source, even if you don't want to.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Though I would like to know how do GitHub works and blah-blah, I will be moving JakAdmin and LAdmin to GitHub.
I've considered doing a tutorial on git and GitHub since I've seen people ask about it before, and it's a powerful tool.

Until then (or till someone else makes one and I don't have to :P) there's a git course on Codecademy. I found the free book Pro Git very useful and it taught me an awful lot about version control. I can't recommend it enough.

Edit: +1 to Vince's comment. Licenses should be your guideline, unfortunately not enough people use them around here (myself included, but I would have if I released any of my scripts now).

I've always found my own admin systems to be my favorite, but that's besides the point... Maybe a collaboration project is needed.

It wouldn't start from LAdmin or Lux. It would be from scratch. Ground up. A nice modular project hosted on GitHub and managed by a select few.

I don't want to be one of the managers, but I'd love to contribute if someone get's this started!

I don't understand whats the obsession with things like LuxAdmin, I understood that 4 years ago or so, but now? with so many powerful stuff being around?
You could get inspired by LAdmin and basically write a way more visually appealing code, with some saving system like SQLite so people that can't install MySQL would still use it.

I've always found editing someone's work confusing and way too damn hard than writing the whole thing yourself, sure working ALONGSIDE someone is great and is kinda easy and okay, but editing someone's code, especially if their code is a mess is too troublesome for me.

If as Crayder said you start a collaboration project I might pitch in from time to time, sounds good to me, making the ultimate admin system to suit people's need while being as efficient as f.

@Crayder - I am still not ready on these collaboration projects at this time though I can contribute some of my lil knowledge if needed.

@PrO.GameR - I have created a scratched admin system as you can see on my signature.. RomAdmin (now JakAdmin) was originally created on 2012 with the codes being piled up / pasted up all together to build the system. The system was re-vamped many times starting in March 2013, when it was renamed to JakAdmin. The script itself has been through alot of versions, from v1.0 to v2.9, I have decided to stopped the development and start a new one but still retaining the name itself. In New Year's 2015, I have officially released a re-vamped JakAdmin (JakAdmin3) under SQLite and since then I haven't released any minor patches or fixes on it until now when I re-released LAdmin. The purpose of why I got obsessed on re-working LAdmin is that I have seen most of the people (in my opinion) are using it, as a help I would like to re-release it ; converting everything to SQLite, zcmd, sscanf2 and so on. The code is also a total disaster, the indentations and optimizations... as you have mentioned, Call me crazy and all but I am looking forward to continue this project myself (and with y'all support of course )

and as of for all of you, I appreciated the responses & feedbacks on my idea so thank you so much.

Amazes me that people still talk about LAdmin. Imo i like ladmin much better than everything else that is released on this forum. I have my own edit of this admin script that works very well

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
I was expecting a negative feedback from y'all guys, Thank god it wasn't a negative feedback.

Create a repository.

Go to your repository.

Click on "Clone or download"

Copy the given URL

Go to your CMD

Type "cd desktop"

Type "git clone <copied url>"

And it's there, if you update it and want to push it back to github

Open CMD

Type "cd desktop"

Type "cd <directory name of the repo>"

Type "git add ." to add everything at once.

Type "git commit -m '<commit message>'"

Type "git push origin master"

BitBucket does a good setup, with free private repos, but it also gives a good client (Sourcetree)(Although VERY CPU intensive) that's good for beginners.

Very graphical and such.

This is an old screenshot, but it shows some of it.

Tabs up top are each repository. You only run this when you need to sync with the repository.

-Edit-

Well, apparently SourceTree is simply provided by them as a free extra. The app is actually at https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/

GitHub has a client too. I usually use BitBucket for private repositories too.

I liked the way when I signed up with BitBucket you had HipChat provided for a short term, with trials of their other services.