Q: About SSDs

Hey guys, I'm planning to buy an SSD for my Asus laptop.

http://www.lazada.com.my/kingston-hy...g-2933068.html

However I have some questions, I don't really have knowledge on this- can we use SSD and HDD at the same time?
My laptop has 1TB HDD. The SSD that I plan to buy only has 120GB capacity (which I think is small storage nowadays)..

Yes, you can use SSD and HDD at same time. BUt SSD use only for primary drive C:
More info http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404258,00.asp

You can use them at the same time, IF your laptop has space for a second hard drive.

Does your asus has space and the connector for another HDD/SSD?

If so, All you have to do is to install your operating system in the SSD, and a few programs.
Use the HDD for the rest of the softwares, games, musics, videos, etc.

Well, if I were you, I would wait for a one more year, becouse SSD`s are today little more expensive, but for year it will be much cheaper and with much more capacity then today.

Yes, you can use this at the same time if your laptop is upgradable to put SSD and HDD, in the SSD you can put your OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanady
Посмотреть сообщение
Well, if I were you, I would wait for a one more year, becouse SSD`s are today little more expensive, but for year it will be much cheaper and with much more capacity then today.
ROFL, they so are not lol... I just picked up 2 240 gigs for 200 local, so about 125 USD...

They're so not expensive now.

Another side benefit from SSDs on laptops, is they use less power, and thus the laptop may last longer on a single charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew_Sumi
Посмотреть сообщение
ROFL, they so are not lol... I just picked up 2 240 gigs for 200 local, so about 125 USD...

They're so not expensive now.
Err..? I hope you didnt pic up a shitty TLC SSD? TLC chipsets is designed for lightweight use as tablets and cheap ass consumer laptops. In other words not for gaming and huge file transfers, because they is slower and have much smaller buffer (stepping down transfer speeds after a moment) than MLC SSD's have.

MLC is designed for gamers and for consumers who bother for speed and more reliable than TLC.

In other words, TLC dies faster with "wrong" use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainles5
Посмотреть сообщение
Err..? I hope you didnt pic up a shitty TLC SSD? TLC chipsets is designed for lightweight use as tablets and cheap ass consumer laptops. In other words not for gaming and huge file transfers, because they is slower and have much smaller buffer (stepping down transfer speeds after a moment) than MLC SSD's have.

MLC is designed for gamers and for consumers who bother for speed and more reliable than TLC.

In other words, TLC dies faster with "wrong" use.

Partly true, however, if you have a small SSD (120-250gb) and a 1tb HDD, you can simple put the bigger games and programs that require a lot of writing on the HDD. Even my TLC Samsung 750 EVO 250gb has a TBW of 35tb, which is more than enough for a few years.

TLC SSD's are pretty reliable aswell, it's not like they randomly die after a month. Most regular consumers actually got a TLC SSD nowadays, and those are reliable enough to play games on aswell. Even with slightly slower speeds, it is still so much faster than an HDD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanady
Посмотреть сообщение
That story continues itself every year. Next year people will tell others to wait another year because you will get more storage and speed for the same price the year after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainles5
Посмотреть сообщение
Err..?
I did my research, and got a good deal.

At that price, it wouldn't matter what quality the thing is, due to me not handling critical data on less than one drive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-ssd,4296.html