What was your SA-MP goal as a server owner or scripter?

Funny to see me starting a topic like this, but heck! When you started off as a server owner / scripter.. what was your ultimate goal or achievement you wanted to gain and did you achieve it or not?

Mine was: Get 50 players on a server and I achieved it with in the first year and a half if I recall correctly.

I started scripting because I wanted to help out the owner of a community that I was very active in. Unfortunately, the community died before I could release my updated gamemode for it. I have no SA-MP related goals now.

I was already a server admin. The goal there wasn't a certain player count or success, but rather maintaining a server that had a healthy gameplay environment.
I got into scripting because I wanted to help with everything I could.

As a scripter - to learn more and more (its never ending).
As a owner - i dont own any.

Nice topic, Kar. I had once been the leader of a clan that ran the greatest freeroam/dm server I have ever played on (Double-O-Seven's San Andreas Deathmatch). I was never involved in the scripting process but rather taking charge of server administration and community management. It was this gamemode and Double-O-Seven's versatility that ultimately got me interested in scripting. Once I had the basics down, I got my hands on the gamemode. I had deep respect for his ability to keep this code-fu working. I am currently working on the concept for my very own gamemode, and I'm afraid it won't be finished in the next couple of years, but I'm having a great time designing it and learning more in the process. My goal is to extend my knowledge in scripting and one day (hopefully) have my own gamemode running on a server - that is if SA:MP still exists then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manyula
Посмотреть сообщение
I am currently working on the concept for my very own gamemode, and I'm afraid it won't be finished in the next couple of years, but I'm having a great time designing it and learning more in the process.
Do tell us more.

My only SA-MP scripting goal was really always to just have fun scripting. I like seeing the things I create. I can do that outside of SA-MP but SA-MP makes it easy. I can make cool shit and play around with it. After a while I can show off my stuff and other people usually like what I made more than I did.

When you picture something before you script it you have certain goals, like the main operations of the system. You know it's not going to be exactly as you pictured so you are not always completely satisfied with the outcome, but satisfied enough to enjoy it. Then as you are scripting you come up with other ideas to add to it. Then you decide some things aren't the best for the system. Then you just keep playing with it. Then the idea gets old and boring, or sometimes it doesn't, either way you are only going to maintain it if you feel like it.

Mine was to have an active role-play server, but unfortunately, never really hit off. I now just spend my spare time on helping out on a freeroam server.

Don't really have the feeling I used to get when scripting anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis-
Посмотреть сообщение
Mine was to have an active role-play server, but unfortunately, never really hit off. I now just spend my spare time on helping out on a freeroam server.

Don't really have the feeling I used to get when scripting anymore.
How Inspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGhost
Посмотреть сообщение
How Inspiring.
I always inspire.