Should I start a server?

So, here's my dilemma. I've been an active Sa-mp player, well, with some pauses, for about 8 years. I started on a server in my own language and it was pretty much amazing. The gamemode was godfather, but back then it was all new and we appreciated it. The best thing about the place was the admin team, who were all happy to joke with you and be a part of the board, there really wasn't a difference between a normal player and an admin. Everybody loved the admin team. The script was pretty simple but managed to have a bunch of players, until 2012. when the server shut down because of an insider who sold the script to another server.

Since then, I joined a new server and each year I regret doing it, because, honestly, these people are taking themselves way too seriously. And what's really funny about it, they're really just kids, maybe 16-17 max., and I really want to play SA-MP but I feel stupid RP-ing with kids all the time. I know a bunch of guys who quit playing for the same reason.

Now, I have tried to start my own SA-MP server a couple of times in the past, but I would always get intimidated by these servers with complex scripts. I thought, if they failed all the time, there's no hope for me - a student who knows basic scripting and has no experience of running a server.

But as time passes on, I am convinced that my ideas would work, and that I could be able to gather around a community of loving people, who roleplay better and are simply more fun to be around. Everybody around me says that SA-MP has reached it's end, that everyone's RP-ing on GTA V and so on, which I don't believe to be true.

My idea is of a server that goes back to the basics, minimalist script set in LA aprox. 2000., and I think that alot of people would love that too. I also have a bunch of other minor ideas about the server and the forum, but I think I could pull it off. Now I ask your opinion, is it worth the hassle? Do you think SA-MP really has reached it's end? Would you join this type of server?

It hasn't reached its end, but it is approaching on that way.
I've been playing SA:MP since 2012, and there were more than 500 servers on the hosted tab, but as the time went now it gradually decreased. Now it's like only half of it [or less or more, but not > 300] (atleast what's shown on my client). The Internet Tab was consisting of a lot and lot servers in the past, but now there's not as much as servers when compared to 2013 (-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker122
Посмотреть сообщение
I've been playing SA:MP since 2012, and there were more than 500 servers on the hosted tab, but as the time went now it gradually decreased. Now it's like only half of it [or less or more, but not > 300] (atleast what's shown on my client). The Internet Tab was consisting of a lot and lot servers in the past, but now there's not as much as servers when compared to 2013 (-).
If you would have put some effort into it, you'd see that what you're stating is partially false. Compared to back then, the number of players is higher now. Also see http://mauzen.org/samp/index.php?sta...al=1440&popz=1

The comment about the servers is half true. There are more servers, but due to an issue with the Internet tab it only shows servers that are currently on the hosted tab. So there are more servers, you just can't see them all directly.

If you believe you have a good enough idea, something new and innovative, and you are willing to put the effort and time into it then i'm sure it will be a success, just remember other servers didn't start big, they started where you are, although they had less competition, they still had some. Also, i've met a decent amount of RPers who are over 21 some even in their late 30s, don't worry about your age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker122
Посмотреть сообщение
Internet tab is bugged, that's why it doesen't show as servers as there used to be shown back in 2013. The servers that are no in hosted tab are being shown in the internet tab as well.

Lol my server has been running since 2010. But it's been dead since 2012. Yet the samp server still runs continuously, always empty. Full of memories and un fulfilled potential. It's like a ghost server now. Go figure the one server that had unlimited funding, a script I wrote, it's own dedicated box, and people that really cared continues to function it continues to run but it's forever alone.

I honestly haven't had the heart to pull the plug. It just sits there on autopay to American Express hoping one day to finally live or finally die.

hi.. i am creating a new server... dont give up or give in

keep playing with your ideas and you will find a gm everyone likes

i've been playing samp since 2005.... but stopped playing for 6 months due to college

my username was andrewgrob... check me out my account is still on here xd

sa-mp is far from over or dead.... lets just see how far we've come from a simple tdm servers

to all kind of gamemodes......i think gamemakers check this forum to see what we get up too

dont you think people ?.....