DDoS & Security

Ok, so I'm setting up my samp server at my new dedicated server @ HyperFilter, although do you have any other considerations I should take care with ? Currently now they are handling it fine, but I'm asking just in case as I want to avoid future surprises.

Are you using Windows or Linux? You would save a lot more money if you used OVH instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPhantom
Посмотреть сообщение
Are you using Windows or Linux? You would save a lot more money if you used OVH instead.
I'm using Linux, and no OVH doesn't work, because they do a lot of bypasses @ their systems, while in HyperFilter it doesn't happens at all, it is a big difference to me.

Quote:

In HyperFilter you gonna have the best stability and scalabity to help your business grow, check our dedicated servers and choose the one which best fits into your needs.

you're*

gonna (informal?)

scalabity? (what is that anyway?)

into?

Dayum. Very weird! You're better off going somewhere else, I would at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickAttack
Посмотреть сообщение
you're*

gonna (informal?)

scalabity? (what is that anyway?)

into?

Dayum. Very weird!
/clue

I'm not checking their English at all, as they aren't an American company, but European and based in The Netherlands. Although they are in the market since 2009 afaik and I know many people using them for other games already. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTADev
Посмотреть сообщение
I'm using Linux, and no OVH doesn't work, because they do a lot of bypasses @ their systems, while in HyperFilter it doesn't happens at all, it is a big difference to me.
What is their network capacity for DDoS attacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPhantom
Посмотреть сообщение
What is their network capacity for DDoS attacks?
The network capacity is a point to consider, whether a company will "really" give you access to all of it, is a completely different story, believe me. I've used many hosts before this one lol. I've heard they are topped around 400+ Gbps in their network.

Anyways, back to my question, what else should I take care with, regarding ensuring stability/security for samp ?

You may use an iptables firewall and physical DDoS protection provided by you hosting provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxViper
Посмотреть сообщение
You may use an iptables firewall and physical DDoS protection provided by you hosting provider.
Any tips regarding iptables ? I've closed all ports I don't use already.

Some tips:
1. Do not run servers as root, make a seperate user for it.
2. Use CSF, it will help against brute force attacks on SSH and minor DoS protection on the side; open ports you need.
3. Use strong passwords
4. Use MariaDB, latest php, phpmyadmin, and httpd versions as well.
5. Change SSH port
More tips can be found on http://www.cyberciti.biz/, a really great site it's helped me improve over time.