Roleplay.. dafuq is this?

Hi everyone, the lovers of roleplay gamemodes, the DMers and other SAMP players. I was playing on a roleplay server with 150 playerbase for 2 years. It was meant to be medium roleplay, though nobody really roleplayed so I have joined several other communities. By the time when I was playing, I have been thinking why do people call heavy roleplays "real life", when you have more OOC things that you can even think of, and I haven't seen a real life server that would really look like real life. For example, most of roleplay communities have businesses, houses, garages, families, let's stop on families. Who the fuck calls his company a family. I have came to a conclusion that the most of the things that are important in real life are skipped in roleplay servers. I decided to join a hidden project which I can't talk much of, but I can tell that we are 2 coders and a mapper. We're going to make a real life gamemode, like, it looks like the "real life", not other roleplay servers.

-How does it come that most of the roleplay servers are based on same systems?
Actually, the Godfather roleplay in 2007, in early stages of SAMP was the most popular roleplay server. When the script was released, most of the people grabbed it and wanted to make a server just like that. That's how we now have lots of roleplay scripts, which are actually the same as the others. Everyone says it's unique, but they copy everything off other servers and think they've made something unique.

What do you think? Do you think that there are TONS of systems that are missing, and TONS of systems that are completely unrealistic? Share with us.

1.) SA:MP can only realistically represent real life in so many ways, and having things match up exactly with real life would be boring? I mean, we've got real life.. so why do we need another one. RP intends to replicate real life but also add some entertaining elements to it so that you have a more enjoyable time.

2.) People are lazy or too incompetent to make their own scripts, some people don't have the time, some people don't have the skill and some people just want to run a server with 0 effort. There's no problem with running a server with a script they are allowed to have with permission of the original owner, that's kind of the point of sharing scripts and if servers go to the effort of heavily editing a RP script making it almost original then its fair enough. I can understand that some servers just copy the same script with 0 effort, and they run for about a month at most with a playerbase of maximum about 20 (and thats stretching it). An RP server needs a good script, a good community and a reasonable, level headed and responsible administration team with dedicated developers who are willing to put the time and effort into their server.

This isn't to say there are no original servers, there are many. In fact, its very easy to weed out the copies and fakes with good communities. The original servers appeal to people for different reasons, be it the community, the location of the server (in regards to GTA Map) or the systems they have in place. It would be nice to see a complete overhaul on the whole RP genre in regards to SA:MP and I think its possible, there are many ideas which would completely change the way roleplay is perceived (in my opinion) but these require dedication and effort, not starting a server up in a day and starting from there.

I agree with you on the 2., but on the 1. - if it's called roleplay aka real life, it shouldn't be about what's fun and what makes it enjoyable but what is the real life, right? I mean, you cant call that you have a real life server then you log on and see people doing everything OOC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinExec
Посмотреть сообщение
I agree with you on the 2., but on the 1. - if it's called roleplay aka real life, it shouldn't be about what's fun and what makes it enjoyable but what is the real life, right? I mean, you cant call that you have a real life server then you log on and see people doing everything OOC.
This is the problem, places like LSRP and RCRP which require a full application and hold great administration of "trolls" meaning that there is minimal OOC/NonRP behavior going on, and if there is - the admins are quick to resolve it. Unfortunately, there is always going to be immature children who only join to troll and DM, its a problem which the only way to resolve is to limit access to your server by forcing applications etc. and this won't work well for smaller servers. I understand where you're coming from, and I agree completely, but I think the only real way to deal with this is with a dedicated and reasonable administration team who care about their community instead of their player count.

Yeah, +1, most of the admins will join the admin team if there's a good playerbase, just like stupid americans, who always go where's money, even if they have to do awful things.

Well there's a certain line between gaming and real life. You don't want to cross that line, or not too far at least, because it just gets boring and annoying.

For example, imagine if you were playing on a Roleplay server and you wanted to become a drug dealer. Suddenly, a dialog opens and tells you you'll never be a drug dealer because the risk of being caught by law enforcement and going to prison is inhibiting you from going through with it. Instead you have to stick with going to an office job 5 days a week. How boring would that be? That's pretty much real life for most people anyway. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinExec
Посмотреть сообщение
I don't play role play to escape from reality, I play it to have fun. If it's not based around having fun I won't play it. I enjoy multiple types of role play. I like low, and heavy mainly because it's fun to switch up. I don't recommend completely trying to imitate real life as it's not going to work no matter how hard you try. SAMP Physics, graphics, and networking all prevent that. I understand where you're coming from, but you're looking at the entire aspect of "role play" wrong. Role play is taking a role wither that be a real life person, fictional character, or something else. At the end of the day it's all for entertainment and that's what I play for not realism.

Want REAL life rp? Let me introduce you to reality! The best real life rp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meller
Посмотреть сообщение
Want REAL life rp? Let me introduce you to reality! The best real life rp!
To be fair, I don't think anyone would want to roleplay working from 8am-5pm or going to class and taking tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolumadd_
Посмотреть сообщение
To be fair, I don't think anyone would want to roleplay working from 8am-5pm or going to class and taking tests.
Too bad almost everyone in the world is doing that everyday.

Welcome buddy to the real life.