Server owners:

How do you gain a player base? I could tell server ads posted on the appropriate board is one way, but like...if you don't got permissions to post there it's kinda hard ain't it?

All about marketing, why would players in first place to come your server, what does your server makes difference over millions of samp servers around? Like, you should start something that could really attract people, and you must invest on it to make your server image a professional. Like .com website, hosted tab, professional forums, unique contents. That's how actually makes a server famous.

Well first, advertisement should be a good start, A hosted tab as well and try to ask your friends to advertise it as well.

I g00gled "sa-mp how to get players" and this was the 1st result: https://sampforum.blast.hk/showthread.php?tid=603149
Learn to use the forum's search function.

Move to older SA-MP Version or buy hosted tab for current version. lol.

Here's an advice from me:
always try to make something unique and something that u like.
Hosted tab does not matter if u have enough friends who plays sa-mp. All u need is 4-5 friends make them admin in ur server. Advertise somewhere your server and gain more guests. Some will stay, some won't. But you will get 10+ players daily and if you won't close community in half year u get 50-100 players.

Make something unique and not steal any other ideas, also alot of advertisements

Hosted tab.

Hosted tab, marketing and generally good PR.

You should be ready to invest in the server, knowing you might not get a refund.