Project name copyrights.

Does anybody have a permission to open a local project with the name of an international server/project ? do they own copyrights of their names ? and how do they own it ?. For example can I open a server with the name of Los Santos Roleplay with different forum and different game engine ?.

You can't copyright simple shapes like a square or a circle and I think the same logic applies for unoriginal server names like that.

To own a name of some sort you need to get a trademark for it. This only applies to businesses and products though.

Los Santos Roleplay wouldn't be trademarked because half the name (Los Santos) is the intellectual property of Rockstar/TakeTwo already.

What about Project Reality I don't think that they would pay money or send some official file to trademark it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLored
Посмотреть сообщение
To own a name of some sort you need to get a trademark for it. This only applies to businesses and products though.
False, it doesn't just apply to businesses and products.

However, you have to choose a unique name. It can't be widely used already and it can't contain major parts of other names.

Los Santos Roleplay can't be trademarked because "Los Santos" is already trademarked by Rockstar (NOT TakeTwo, Rockstar is just part of TakeTwo).

You could even trademark your gamer tag if you wanted it to be YOURS legally and exclusively. You just need more of a reason than it being a nickname, like sign some programs with that name or something significant.

See this: http://www.uspto.gov/trademark

Some Servers dont like other peaple create thier servers with the same name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorono
Посмотреть сообщение
Some Servers dont like other peaple create thier servers with the same name
Oh really? Thanks for the input Captain Obvious.

So yes, you can name your server Los Santos RP if you want, you won't get in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CaRRoT
Посмотреть сообщение
So yes, you can name your server Los Santos RP if you want, you won't get in trouble.
It will just be viewed as a shadow of another server, but that's it.
You can have an original name for "extra points" though...