Webhosts

Over the past few months, I have been writing down plans and ideas for creating a web host.

I am just wondering what the community pay for webhosting and what you get for that?

TIP:Never start something that you don't know how it works.

I know how it works, technical and front end. Im just looking at the samp market

You get webhosting for as little as 1 or 2$ per month. Theres no chance for a new competitor, unless you already got a huge serverfarm and can sell extra HDD space as webhosting for dumping prices.

Planning a new company requires you to research the prices as well. If you have been planning your company for a few months then I doubt you have prepared thoroughly enough if you are unaware of the competing prices. I'd suggest taking a look at bigget companies such as 1and1 and Base your price on them, however keep in mind that there are also some Web hosting services provided completely free of charge, so offer services that people actually want to pay for. Also try and Base your prices off of the resources that are actually used so that you can calculate your profit from your price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzy
Посмотреть сообщение
Planning a new company requires you to research the prices as well. If you have been planning your company for a few months then I doubt you have prepared thoroughly enough if you are unaware of the competing prices. I'd suggest taking a look at bigget companies such as 1and1 and Base your price on them, however keep in mind that there are also some Web hosting services provided completely free of charge, so offer services that people actually want to pay for. Also try and Base your prices off of the resources that are actually used so that you can calculate your profit from your price.
There is so much more into opening a company than this and you are so wrong. You can't create a "company" by yourself, you won't survive at all, there's a lot into it and your way of opening a company is utterly ridiculous, depending on the requirements of opening one legally at where you live, you'll have to pay taxes, have a legal license to open the business, pay business fees and employee's paycheck, keep money for upgrade, etc... it's a whole new perspective and opening a company that is dependent on SA-MP's population will surely put you in debt in no time and is non reliant whatsoever, just don't bother opening one, you won't succeed with the way you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLored
Посмотреть сообщение
There is so much more into opening a company than this and you are so wrong. You can't create a "company" by yourself, you won't survive at all, there's a lot into it and your way of opening a company is utterly ridiculous, depending on the requirements of opening one legally at where you live, you'll have to pay taxes, have a legal license to open the business, pay business fees and employee's paycheck, keep money for upgrade, etc... it's a whole new perspective and opening a company that is dependent on SA-MP's population will surely put you in debt in no time and is non reliant whatsoever, just don't bother opening one, you won't succeed with the way you think about it.
You won't succeed if you are scared of trying as well.

In this case, all you need is a dedicated server or various small servers to allocate the websites on. You would need an interactive website and control panel for the clients to use, too. It may be technically optional, but it's recommended.

Of course, if you are irresponsible with your clients' files, then you should pay whatever the consequences are. But you don't need a license or any of that stuff.

Offering domains, however, would involve another party.

If you think asking such question here will help you, than you better dont start at all.
If you need to ask such question at all, dont even think about starting web hosting company.

Since a simple VPS with 2gb ram and at least 20gb of HDD cost less than 5 EUR per month, than make a guess how much costs simple web host...Unless you own or work for web development/design company and have clients that first want you to make them a website and maintain it (for witch they will pay monthly) you better not to start it at all. Anyone in his right state of mind will ether start with VPS or Share Hosting like GoDaddy.

There are only two types of successful web hostings today. One that are so big that they get most of the customers, or the ones that have their machines for something else and they have free resources, so they just provide cheep web hosting as its better to sell something cheep than let all that resources go to waste.

And direct answer to your question is it depends on community size. But cheapest shared web hosting is about 2EUR per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFT_HUNTER
Посмотреть сообщение
Anyone in his right state of mind will ether start with VPS or Share Hosting like GoDaddy.
Anyone who's a complete fool uses GoDaddy. If you know your shit as a developer you know not to go with GoDaddy.
Most 'professional' developers go with DigitalOcean/Linode for small projects/testing and use AWS for the bigger stuff.

Wait, excuse me for a second as I go on a rant about GoDaddy.

1) Their hosting is shit, slow servers with like a email limit and they are expensive for what you get. No functionality either, you can't choose whether you want PHP 5.4/5.5/7.0 and don't even think about running Node.js.

2) They supported SOPA, for this reason alone you should avoid them

3) They try to lock you in, they charge you insane prices for renewing your domain because they lock domains a month before they need to be renewed for which you pay like 100 to unlock them.

4) They don't give a rat's ass about you as a customer, no emails/calls asking if you're satisfied. Many other hosting companies do call/mail you asking if you're satisfied with the service.

5) Try their checkout process. They'll try to cram in any sort of shit "addons" and upsells whenever you buy something from them.

6) You can't really use PHP's native mail function or PHPMailer with their shared hosting, they want you to use their own.

7) Limited amount of database users / FTP users to create a new selling point, I can have a million DB users on my 1 dollar a month DigitalOcean droplet and it's fine.

8 ) When your domain does expire they'll steal it and hold it ransom sometimes running up to thousands of dollars depending on how much traffic the domain gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck
Посмотреть сообщение
Anyone who's a complete fool uses GoDaddy. If you know your shit as a developer you know not to go with GoDaddy.
Most 'professional' developers go with DigitalOcean/Linode for small projects/testing and use AWS for the bigger stuff.

Wait, excuse me for a second as I go on a rant about GoDaddy.

1) Their hosting is shit, slow servers with like a email limit and they are expensive for what you get. No functionality either, you can't choose whether you want PHP 5.4/5.5/7.0 and don't even think about running Node.js.

2) They supported SOPA, for this reason alone you should avoid them

3) They try to lock you in, they charge you insane prices for renewing your domain because they lock domains a month before they need to be renewed for which you pay like 100 to unlock them.

4) They don't give a rat's ass about you as a customer, no emails/calls asking if you're satisfied. Many other hosting companies do call/mail you asking if you're satisfied with the service.

5) Try their checkout process. They'll try to cram in any sort of shit "addons" and upsells whenever you buy something from them.

6) You can't really use PHP's native mail function or PHPMailer with their shared hosting, they want you to use their own.

7) Limited amount of database users / FTP users to create a new selling point, I can have a million DB users on my 1 dollar a month DigitalOcean droplet and it's fine.

8 ) When your domain does expire they'll steal it and hold it ransom sometimes running up to thousands of dollars depending on how much traffic the domain gets.
tl;dr

if you know a thing or two about the hosting industry, you already know that godaddy is something that must be avoided

Quote:

1 million users who do nothing.. imagine concurrent access with funny queries from 1 million users.. the server would catch on fire and explode just for safety precaution, things like limits are introduced

thats like saying you can run a 1000 slot server with no players using the slots on a 512mb vps xD