Linux as Operating System

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else here is using Linux as their operating system? Is it good?
Can I use Linux for gaming, games such as GTA San Andreas for example, and scripting?
And how about for working? Microsoft Word, etc.

What do you guys think about Linux? What usually people use it for?

Word and Office ect. are windows applications and wont work on linux.

Linux for gaming isn't really recommended as It doesn't have a massive library and probably couldn't run most of the games you might play.

GTA SA won't work unless you use a program like 'Wine' as it is again a windows application.

Linux is primarily used headless on servers. In a desktop environment it may be suitable for programmers since some IDEs have native Linux clients (Eclipse, NetBeans). However the Pawn compiler that SA-MP uses only works on Windows because it is a modified compiler and the source was lost.

Most of the applications are running on Windows OS, using Linux for gaming is not a nice choice even if it reduces less CPU most of the games/applications are not supporting it

Linux is mainly used for game servers hosting and programmers...

Its not a good idea as it will be pain in ass to use linux as starters , I recommend using LIVE USB to test it first and get familiar with it and then you can use it as your main operating system . You can use "Wine" to use windows files and softwares such as "Microsoft word" though there is another software used in linux i.e Anti-word . Just ****** it.

Linux is bad for gaming, Microsoft Word won't work on Linux since it's Microsoft's application (Windows)

If you are a gamer, stay with Windows, trust me, it's way more better for gaming, Linux is good for programming and this kind of stuff.

I don't say that Linux is only for programmers, but windows is good for programming and gaming, so windows is better.

gpu drivers are shite on gnu/linux

Gaming and Linux are two terms that barely can be put together. If your sole purpose is playing GTA SA and scripting SA-MP modes then you should stick with Windows since Linux is not made for that: there is no native port of GTA SA and GPU drivers suck, especially AMD ones. Office suite is not available, so you'll have to find an alternative and get used to it.

However, scripting is as easier as on Windows since Zeex made a port of his compiler to Linux.

You know, everything that's been said here, could really have been ******d.

It's also about what he wants to do with it, and how much he wants to spend trying to set it up.

Best bet, is a second PC to mess around with and get used to Linux in the first instance, before putting it on the main gaming PC.

Quote:

before putting it on the main gaming PC.

Never put linux on a gaming PC, Unless your batshit crazy.