[Tutorial] Admin /announce with gametext - Easy

Hello guys,

this is a tutorial on how to make an /announce command for admins. This is a really easy script to make. I made this tutorial for newbies who don't know how to make this command. Let's start it now!

Scripting.

PHP Code:
CMD:announce(playerid,params[])

This specifies the command announce and we are opening braces.

PHP Code:
    if(!IsPlayerAdmin(playerid)) return SendClientMessage(playerid, -1"Error: You are not rcon logged in!"
This means if he is not rcon logged in, it will return the following message. We'll split this a bit. "!" this specifies "if not". Splitting - if(!IsPlayerAdmin(playerid)) ; Let's split this bit of code. If that player IS NOT admin;

PHP Code:
    new msg[25], tytime
so we will use the msg as the string ; 25 specifies how many letters should the string contains.

PHP Code:
    if(sscanf(params"iis[25]"timetymsg)) return SendClientMessage(playerid, -1"Usage: /announce [Time] [Msg Type] [TEXT]"); 
This checks the parameters and if he didn't wrote the parameters correctly, then it will send that "Usage" message.

|----------ADDITIONAL NOTES----------|
i - Integer (Number) - Used as time
i - Integer (Number) - Used as the type
s - String (Letters) - Used for the message
|---------------------------------------|

Now, we will restrict the type 2 that is bugged.

This code checks if he wrote the "ty" as 2,0 or more than 8 and if he did, the server will return the "Error" message.

PHP Code:
    if(ty >= || ty <= || ty == 2) return SendClientMessage(playerid, -1"Only 1,3,4,5,6,7"); 
Now, let's move on to the final code.
PHP Code:
    GameTextForAll(msgtimety);
    return 
1;

This sends all the players the message by the msg we wrote, with the time to stop the message and the type. Returning 1 will execute the command.

|-USING COLORS-|

We can also use colors in them. An example is below.

/announce 5000 4 ~r~ <- Red color ~b~ <- Blue color

|-FULL CODE-|

PHP Code:
CMD:announce(playerid,params[])
{
    if(!
IsPlayerAdmin(playerid)) return SendClientMessage(playerid, -1"Error: You are not rcon logged in!");
    new 
msg[25], tytime;
    if(
sscanf(params"iis[25]"timetymsg)) return SendClientMessage(playerid, -1"Usage: /announce [Time] [Msg Type] [TEXT]");
    if(
ty >= || ty == || ty == 2) return SendClientMessage(playerid, -1"Only 1,3,4,5,6,7");

GameTextForAll(msgtimety);
    return 
1;

|-END OF TUTORIAL-|

I made another tutorial |-Click here-| This tutorial contains more detailed in formatting, you guys can check it out for more information about formatting message in dialogs. And it is also useful for gametext.

Credits

Karan007 - Created this tutorial/script
SA-MP Team - Created SA-MP
Y_Less - Sscanf
Zeex - ZCMD

Enjoy

Thanks! Really useful definitely going to use this!

Nothing special, but as I can see you explained everything very well, it's kinda useful for new guys on scripting

Thanks you all, thread has been updated with gametext colors.

Very basic but well defined man KEEP IT UP

You forget to tell sscanf how big the text string should be.

You are doing this:

PHP Code:
if(sscanf(params"iis"timetymsg)) return SendClientMessage(playerid, -1"Usage: /announce [Time] [Msg Type] [TEXT]"); 
When it should be:

PHP Code:
if(sscanf(params"iis[25]"timetymsg)) return SendClientMessage(playerid, -1"Usage: /announce [Time] [Msg Type] [TEXT]"); 
Otherwise it will produce a warning.

Anyways, you've did pretty good job and the explanations you gave are detailed enough for newbies in pawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirestate
View Post
You forget to tell sscanf how big the text string should be.

You are doing this:

PHP Code:
if(sscanf(params"iis"timetymsg)) return SendClientMessage(playerid, -1"Usage: /announce [Time] [Msg Type] [TEXT]"); 
When it should be:

PHP Code:
Otherwise it will produce a warning.

Anyways, you've did pretty good job and the explanations you gave are detailed enough for newbies in pawn.
No, it isn't necessary to do this. And also i had already defined the msg as 25, so we don't need to add it again.

A couple of things I noticed:
  • You don't check to verify the value is actually positive only above 8.
    pawn Code:
    if(ty >= 0 && ty <= 7)
    {
          // code here
    }
    else // rejection code
    or more like how you did it:
    pawn Code:
    if(ty < 0 || ty > 6) return // message
    else if(ty == 2) return // message
  • You don't check to make sure there is an equal balance of ~ characters(I gave you code and an example for this in your other thread).

Nice tutorial men, good work.
but you have to add string size in sscanf, to avoid such warnings.
I prefer using sscanf macros like this:
PHP Code:
extract params -> new timetystring:s[25]; else
    return 
SendClientMessage(playerid, -1"Usage: /announce [Time] [Msg Type] [TEXT]"); 
* PawnHunter salutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnHunter
View Post
Nice tutorial men, good work.
but you have to add string size in sscanf, to avoid such warnings.
I prefer using sscanf macros like this:
PHP Code:
extract params -> new timetystring:s[25]; else
    return 
SendClientMessage(playerid, -1"Usage: /announce [Time] [Msg Type] [TEXT]"); 
* PawnHunter salutes
Well, i didn't receive ANY warnings the way i used it. Anyways, i made it like you guys want it.