Is it worth fixing an old car?

Well, recently my old car broke. I don't know if it's worth fixing it tho coz it'll cost too much. I went to a couple of Suzuki dealers and they've asked too much for an automatic gearbox, 600 euro is just too much for a 16 year old car.

I have a Suzuki Wagon R+, a really nice old car with much space. Apparently the automatic gearbox is failing and needs to be replaced. I don't know if it's really worth fixing it or even replacing it since the same problem could appear in the future, as I've read over the internet almost every same car has problems with the gearbox. What would you do? Fix it or buy a new car instead, at least a used car to save some $$, you know.

buy a new one
or DIY or use a cardbox car
or use a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress
View Post
Well, recently my old car broke. I don't know if it's worth fixing it tho coz it'll cost too much. I went to a couple of Suzuki dealers and they've asked too much for an automatic gearbox, 600 euro is just too much for a 16 year old car.

I have a Suzuki Wagon R+, a really nice old car with much space. Apparently the automatic gearbox is failing and needs to be replaced. I don't know if it's really worth fixing it or even replacing it since the same problem could appear in the future, as I've read over the internet almost every same car has problems with the gearbox. What would you do? Fix it or buy a new car instead, at least a used car to save some $$, you know.
Fill it full of saw dust and call it good m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMTube™
View Post
buy a new one
or DIY or use a cardbox car
or use a bicycle
Yes use a bicycle when it's nearing winter!

OT: I would suggest buying a used car if your car is going to keep breaking down.

To be honest if I were you, I'd repair it because it is obviously a cheaper way to go, if you buy a new car not only you pay for the car but also pay the insurance company you are using which is simply a waste of money, it's better off buying a new gearbox and paying your monthly insurance bill, everything eventually breaks.

If selling it will bring good cash.. Then just go ahead and add some cash to buy a new one.
Its just pretty old.. And its the time to upgrade ?

buy a used manual

You've got to remember, if you sell this current car and buy a different one, no matter what, you'll always have the previous owners problems (unless it's a new car). They will not disclose everything about the car you're buying (or they might not even know). I'd pay 600 and fix the car you currently have as I'm sure everything else is mechanically sound.

You may also be able to get a used transmission for cheaper, but I'd get a new one if the problem is quite common as you say

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHual
View Post
buy a used manual

this?

I know nothing about cars but even I know automatic gearboxes are expensive. It will probably cost you more than the net worth of the car. My mother had a manual Suzuki Wagon R+, it was basically worth a mere Ђ500 because it was old as fuck.

I can't assist with your question but good God, what on earth did you do to your car to need the gearbox replaced in an automatic?

Buy a new one. The wagon r is one of the most ugly cars on the planet. And also, your car is probably worth less than the parts you need.

What is the exactly problem with your gearbox? Wont change gears? I had a BMW e39 that wont change gears until i used the tiptronic. I got a cheap diagnostic adapter from ebay named "BMW PA Soft etc.." and found my problem instant, a faulty ABS sensor got it replaced and the transmission is working

16 years really isn't that old for a decently maintained vehicle. I doubt you'll be able to find anything better than what you have for 600 Euros.

At least where I live, there are plenty of post 2000~ cars which are sold for solid prices by private sellers. If you want stable wheels that won't break the bank, I'd go for a 2000ish Toyota Corolla or such. Don't for older muscle cars and such unless you know how to repair them when shit inevitably hits the fan.