Windows Explorer randomly hanging my laptop

Basically, this issue just started happening a few days ago. It seems that when I am using the Windows File Explorer application (mainly when either loading or attempting to click on a file / folder) my laptop will just hang - this stops everything basically and it takes around 30-45 seconds before it stops hanging and my PC is usable again.

The process seems to hang my entire laptop, not just the application; I have no idea why. This didn't happen for a good 30 days after upgrading to Windows 10 but it has never happened to me and I have ran Windows 7 and Windows 8(and windows 8.1) all on different machines(mainly laptops) so I am not specifically sure if it has something to do with Windows 10. I am considering downgrading if I am unable to fix(or if I absolutely have to - reinstall Windows).

Any suggestions?

What is your laptop specs?

have you ever tried using disabling all the startup programs?

Press on the Windows key + R and then type "msconfig" and click enter

after that click on boot and then look for something named "timeout" and change the number from 30 to 15 seconds next click on advanced options and then tick on number of processors and then choose ur processors

and try defragging your hard disks search in the windows search and then type Defrag and then click on Defragment and optimize drivers try optimizing your hard disks

or if you need more help

click on the computer and right click it and goto properties and then click on advanced system settings and then

you will be able to see something called preformance click on settings and then choose adjust for best preformance.

Please rep me if i helped u

Looks like bad sectors on your hard drive. Try running a chkdsk.

Hard drive failure imminent. Try listening for sounds coming from the hard drive bay for any repetitive seeking or clicking noise. Faulty RAM may also be the culprit, but since you have been running without problems until now I think that's unlikely. Nevertheless, it might be worth running Memtest86 for a few hours to verify.