[Tutorial] Tips on hiring staff

Everyone has different ways of hiring their own staff members. Some people hand pick their staff, some make them apply and some test people straight away when they ask for admin, which is an insanely stupid thing to do. Making people apply would be the most straightforward way to hire the best staff for your server, although hand picking can be better but requires you to closely analyse the player and notice his skills, abilities, etc. If a new player joins and asks for admin, you should always tell them that they need to apply on forums of some sort. This will also show you whether they care enough about dedicating theirselves to being an admin on your server to make the effort of making an application. If a player asks to be tested in game, always reject their offer as this shows that they are what are known as power and admin hungry kids. A typical application format consists of a name, age, past experience, skills, time zone and how they can benefit you. Make sure you pick the questions to out in your format carefully as this is your chance to analyse your applicants successfully. You would not be able to analyse applicants with such precision if you simply tested them in game. Also, never make a promise to a player saying he will definitely be accepted if he applies, as this puts yourself in an extremely awkward position if the player turns out to have extremely bad grammar. You should always hire players that are fluent in your server's main language as players will leave if they see that your admins cannot speak the main server language fluently. If a player asks to be an admin as soon as he joins, tell him he must apply on the forums and don't allow him to try and encourage you to test him ingame. To summarise:
  • Never hire admin hungry kids
  • Make people apply or hand pick your staff
  • Always tell new people to apply for admin if they ask for it
  • Always pick admins of different time zones so that you can have administrators administrating your server at all times
  • Write your application format carefully
  • Make sure your staff work for their ranks, don't just give ranks out to people for fun
  • Never hire people who join and say stuff like "I can make your game mode unique" as they just want your script
Follow the tutorial and steps above and you'll soon have a great administrator team. If you are unsure of the skills you need to look for in admins, here are a few. Patience, friendliness, happiness to make people feel welcome, assertive to enforce rules correctly, mature to not abuse commands. These are only a few skills to look out for though.

Thanks for reading my tutorial. I know it's not all fancy and colourful, but I just wanted to try and teach some server owners how to have a good staff team instead of 12 year old administrators.

Information about Co-Owners
An explanation of Co-Ownership is simple. They own and maintain the server with you, which requires more trust than anyone else on the server. If you are thinking of giving your Co-Owner the FTP VPS or Rcon details, you'll need to maintain a healthy and trustworthy relationship with them, which can only be built from the bottom up and not from some guy who claims to have been Head Admin on SARP or something. The only type of people who could possibly be a Co:Owner with you are people that have applied for admin status on your server or people that you have hand picked. Remember, you're trusting your Co-Owner with your server, which means you need a lot of trust in them. Co-Owners are not compulsory, and you can maintain your server without a Co-Owner at first with a low player base, so don't try and rush to get a Co-Owner at first as you will most likely end up getting just another power hungry kid that tried to manipulate you.

Good work

Thank you for the feedback

Nice one!

We see more and more servers with power hungry admins nowadays, and it's sad!

Hope this will help some people out here

Thank you help me alot to choose better admins

This is an amazing tutorial.

Suggestion: You should also explain what co ownership means and how to pick a co owner, there's a big misconception in samp about co ownership.

Thanks for the feedback guys, added a section about Co-Owners

nice!

You are a fucking genius. I hope more owners will read this and understand they have to choose carefully.

From my experience: Joined once on a dm/freeroam/stunt server and just started driving around ( at this time admin making a event ) he practically forced me join his/her event, by killing me with minigun everytime i took a car/bike. Told owner about it, and he replyed me: Next time join event, don't waste admin time. For god sake, who force you join event?

+ rep.

Nice tutorial man