a decent website / game server host?

I was initially looking at ovh webhost, 150eu for an entire year with ddos protection but would this cover l7? And the dedi's/month are too expensive.

Plus, what would you recommend a good game server host with 250-500 player slot with decent pricing?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkiePie69
Посмотреть сообщение
but would this cover l7?
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake187
Посмотреть сообщение
What?
It's a type of non-volumetric attack that i believe cloudflare specialize in, rather than ovh.

Do you have any recommendations ?

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
What?
He's referring to a Layer 7 DDoS/DoS attack, though I'm not sure how much of a issue this is with SA-MP (Most attacks, including directed at SA-MP, are layer 3-4) any server host with decent DDoS protection would cover it. Layer 7 is a bit more..perplexed.

Cloudflare responds to Layer 7 in that a lot of normally serverside elements (i.e scripts, images, ect) are cached with cloudflare, thus reducing the stress on the server itself as the CDN takes most of the load (I'm 60-70% more efficient on most sites I run with cloudflare), including from a layer 7 DDoS/DoS attack. Layer 7 works, for the laymen here, in that it tries to trip the high-stress elements of a system, i.e, the search function of a forum which uses a lot of resources as it's a rather large SQL query, and then repeats to choke out the system. It's a lot harder to counter than a traditional 'spam packets' type attack that you'd see in a usual Layer 3 or 4 attack, but again, I've really never heard of it being applicable to SA-MP, unless you're referring to your web hosting. Layer 7 requires the attacker have application-level access to the server (i.e, the website itself) which means it's obviously a lot harder to run a layer 7 attack on a gameserver than a webserver.

Layer 7 isn't really a issue with SA-MP to my knowledge(as mentioned above), most if not all attacks you'd encounter are Layer 3/4, as long as the host is protected in that manner if you run cloudflare for the domain (You can run cloudflare with any host, infact, most hosts encourage it because it takes stress off of their hardware) you should be decently well off.

That said, if you're using shared hosting your web security doesn't matter all too much; it's still possible another person on the server/IP could be less mindful and could get targeted by a attacker, which in many cases (as you're on the same box as him, after all) will negatively affect you as well. Always better to have dedicated IP's on anything you run. I would do it particularly for a sa-mp server if I think I'm going to be targeted because if you do get taken down it will also take down everyone else on that IP/server box, which the host obviously won't be a fan of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman
Посмотреть сообщение
He's referring to a Layer 7 DDoS/DoS attack, though I'm not sure how much of a issue this is with SA-MP (Most attacks, including directed at SA-MP, are layer 3-4) any server host with decent DDoS protection would cover it. Layer 7 is a bit more..perplexed.

Cloudflare responds to Layer 7 in that a lot of normally serverside elements (i.e scripts, images, ect) are cached with cloudflare, thus reducing the stress on the server itself as the CDN takes most of the load (I'm 60-70% more efficient on most sites I run with cloudflare), including from a layer 7 DDoS/DoS attack. Layer 7 works, for the laymen here, in that it tries to trip the high-stress elements of a system, i.e, the search function of a forum which uses a lot of resources as it's a rather large SQL query, and then repeats to choke out the system. It's a lot harder to counter than a traditional 'spam packets' type attack that you'd see in a usual Layer 3 or 4 attack, but again, I've really never heard of it being applicable to SA-MP, unless you're referring to your web hosting. Layer 7 requires the attacker have application-level access to the server (i.e, the website itself) which means it's obviously a lot harder to run a layer 7 attack on a gameserver than a webserver.

Layer 7 isn't really a issue with SA-MP to my knowledge(as mentioned above), most if not all attacks you'd encounter are Layer 3/4, as long as the host is protected in that manner if you run cloudflare for the domain (You can run cloudflare with any host, infact, most hosts encourage it because it takes stress off of their hardware) you should be decently well off.

That said, if you're using shared hosting your web security doesn't matter all too much; it's still possible another person on the server/IP could be less mindful and could get targeted by a attacker, which in many cases (as you're on the same box as him, after all) will negatively affect you as well. Always better to have dedicated IP's on anything you run. I would do it particularly for a sa-mp server if I think I'm going to be targeted because if you do get taken down it will also take down everyone else on that IP/server box, which the host obviously won't be a fan of.
L7 will not work for SA:MP unless you run a website and game server both in a server.

You can check out blazingfast.io

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
It's a type of non-volumetric attack that i believe cloudflare specialize in, rather than ovh.

Do you have any recommendations ?
I am asking why you are worried about Layer 7 attacks if you're hosting a game server?

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
I am asking why you are worried about Layer 7 attacks if you're hosting a game server?
I meant the web host; i'm well aware a layer 7 attack is not effective on any sa-mp game server. Though, if an attack did occur, i would have to limit the amount of connections that could come in from a specific ip(s) per whatever duration. I can do this in a terminal(vps, dedi) with iptables - but how could it be possible to fend off not just 1 layer 7 attacker, but any future attackers on a web host? Issue is, a dedi per month to host a website is.. too expensive and shit.

Also thanks bartman for that bit of information.

For the game server, i was thinking SoYouStart dedicated package @50eu/month. Good?

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
I meant the web host; i'm well aware a layer 7 attack is not effective on any sa-mp game server. Though, if an attack did occur, i would have to limit the amount of connections that could come in from a specific ip(s) per whatever duration. I can do this in a terminal(vps, dedi) with iptables - but how could it be possible to fend off not just 1 layer 7 attacker, but any future attackers on a web host? Issue is, a dedi per month to host a website is.. too expensive and shit.

Also thanks bartman for that bit of information.

For the game server, i was thinking SoYouStart dedicated package @50eu/month. Good?
Why not just buy two VPS servers instead? Go to OVH and order two cloud VPS servers the 10 euro ones should be enough for each service no problem. This way lets say one of your services is attacked lets say with a Layer 7 you don't have to worry about the other service being offline because of it.

I host PR-RP's gameserver and teamspeak on a dedicated from SYS and the sites plus a few personal sites on a VPS from OVH. Works best that way to be honest, that way at least if one of your servers are having problems your other one is fine.