Where has (unique) roleplay gone?

Over the years I've noticed a significant drop in noticed SA:MP roleplay servers. While now there are only two big competitors left standing. One being NG:RP, the other being LS:RP. And some bottom competitors such as P:LA, SA:RP, etc. However NG:RP claimed to be 'SA:MP's #1 English Roleplaying Server!' that title has obviously shifted over to LS:RP.

Excluding LS:RP, the other servers have been dropping in players whether it's slightly or dramatically. NG:RP once filled their slots on a summer day but now only receive about 250-300/500 players daily. Staff on NG:RP have admitted that the community is experiencing a decline in their playerbase and their attempts to stop it haven't been as successful as they'd like it to be.

Moving on from NG:RP, as we know it's not the most credible roleplay server out there we have LS:RP. LS:RP is a very heavy roleplay environment where script restrictions are little and you decided your own path. Money is easy to come by as long as you roleplay and the community is pretty friendly. but as LS:RP grows and other communities shrink, what will we see for unique roleplay in the upcoming years?

My SA:MP server fiasco has left me asking myself that question for awhile now. Every new server that comes up is usually ignored and fails within the first couple of weeks or the first month. Why? People claim they want a new server that is unique and easy to play and fun to be on. But when that server is offered to them they don't take it. Is their something wrong with the server? Or is the SA:MP english roleplay community slowly dying?

A great example of this is NG:RP vs. LS:RP. What was once the most visited English roleplay server of 2010-2012, slowly became one of the most quickly degrading communities in the English roleplay community. LS:RP took it's place. But since no new servers are being created, is that it? What happens when LS:RP eventually dies. What will be there to take its place?

My concern is for the roleplaying community in general. Do you think it's dying? If yes, why? Is it the servers fault? Is it the players fault? Or is it collectively SA:MP's fault?

Comparing NG-RP to LS-RP is comparing a DM server to LS-RP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake187
View Post
NG:RP has a very abolished community yes I'm aware however it's recognized as a roleplay server

GTA 5 is the issue; as well as other new games. Who wants to play SA:MP anymore with better games? Face the facts, SAMP RP is dying.

Quote:
View Post
So true, NGRP lacks Roleplay compared to LSRP.

OT: Most new roleplay servers lack the understanding of Roleplay and NGRP is one of them but people who just began RP seem to enjoy it, LSRP however has a high standard RP quality which a lot of players enjoy, other roleplay communities don't have those standards which why makes them fail. You just need your server to be recognized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLored
View Post
So true, NGRP lacks Roleplay compared to LSRP.

OT: Most new roleplay servers lack the understanding of Roleplay and NGRP is one of them but people who just began RP seem to enjoy it, LSRP however has a high standard RP quality which a lot of players enjoy, other roleplay communities don't have those standards which why makes them fail. You just need your server to be recognized.
How can a server be recognized if nobody wants to try anything new?

Wait and see. They will appear soon. You can see many by looking at peoples signatures to advertise their servers that are still worked on.

By all means imo it's the players, we always ask for something unique, we moan on about the lack of unique communities yet when they are shown to the roleplay population no one bothers. No one cares.

As Calgon said. Players don't know what they want anymore. It's like children. They want something because their eyes want it but they stomach doesn't.

Most of the time people don't know what they want, so they chat crap saying they want medium roleplay, rules enforced and no unfair advantages. Realistically, what they want is a game where they can 'earn' an unfair advantage over other players to brag about and wealth to earn.

LSRP and NGRP are two extremes in roleplay, I've never really seen a server which balances high and low (like NGRP) levels of roleplay, I simply doubt it can exist... but then again what defines a medium level of roleplay?

Trying to make a roleplay server in 2015 is a silly thing to do, and it was back in 2010 too. You need more than a script and a few admins to make a community that will thrive, people don't seem to understand this and neither did I. Most of the time, you need a community to make a community. No servers have thrived based purely on the script in roleplay, except perhaps in the early days of SA-MP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abagail
View Post
GTA 5 is the issue; as well as other new games. Who wants to play SA:MP anymore with better games? Face the facts, SAMP RP is dying.
No, that's not why. Unique roleplay has been a dead concept from day one. You get a few servers that do things a tiny bit differently but nothing stands out as entirely unique.

The only thing that is dying here is the misconception that GTA 5 is drawing mass amounts of players away. It's not. It's drawing a few away - but for the small percentage of the SA-MP community that can run the new GTA (you have to remember there are many foreigners on cheap unreliable set-ups with integrated graphics from 1999), they can't roleplay in the new GTA, there is no multiplayer for it right now like there is for SAMP. And it would take at least a year after its release to see a wealth of servers worth playing in roleplay.

What the heck is wrong with eveyone? All you look at and focus your attention on, is the negative things. If you think that mostly all of the roleplay servers are not even worth joining them and that there are some good servers out there, then just play the ones you think are good and leave the others alone. It's not like you will get them to shutdown with this topic.

IF YOU THINK SA:MP IS DYING, THEN FINE. BUT KEEP IT TO YOURSELF, IF IT DIES, IT DIES! STOP CREATING TOPICS OF THE SAME MATTER OVER AND OVER AGIN.

It is really getting annoying and ironic, it's like you actually want to put an end to it.

Untill there is AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT STATING THAT SA:MP IS NO LONGER MAINTAINED, THEN AND ONLY THEN IT WILL BE DEAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickAttack
View Post
What the heck is wrong with eveyone? All you look at and focus your attention on, is the negative things. If you think that mostly all of the roleplay servers are not even worth joining them and that there are some good servers out there, then just play the ones you think are good and leave the others alone. It's not like you will get them to shutdown with this topic.

IF YOU THINK SA:MP IS DYING, THEN FINE. BUT KEEP IT TO YOURSELF, IF IT DIES, IT DIES! STOP CREATING TOPICS OF THE SAME MATTER OVER AND OVER AGIN.

It is really getting annoying and ironic, it's like you actually want to put an end to it.

Untill there is AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT STATING THAT SA:MP IS NO LONGER MAINTAINED, THEN AND ONLY THEN IT WILL BE DEAD.
SA-MP wouldn't be dead if the developers stopped maintaining it, just the server browser couldn't be used to find new servers. All servers would still be up and players would be able to play. Just like Windows XP - they can stop supporting it, but they can't stop it. (Well, unless there's a secret backdoor.)

Additionally, I think this is more of a discussion than a "wow, it's dead" topic.

Quote:
View Post
I hope you understand your incompetence of reading because this topic is not about SA-MP dying but "unique roleplay servers" dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornHuman
View Post
NG:RP has a very abolished community yes I'm aware however it's recognized as a roleplay server
Yes but you're comparing too different concepts completely. One is a DM server with a RP features that is clearly pay 2 win, another is a actual role play server.

Why do I personally think NG-RP lost so much? Well in 2010 to 2012 you need to remember there wasn't too many of the DM-RP style non-English servers around, nowadays most people rather play their native language server that has the same style GM and structure as NG-RP. I also personally think NG-RP has done quite a number of wrong-doings and they were bound to hit the fan sooner or later and run out of luck. And NG-RP is basically like GTA 5 Online, you have levels properties and clans and such, most people who have the money rather play that.

Why do I think RP servers that are being created nowadays aren't getting anywhere? Because I have noticed the English side of SA-MP is dying and most people who play SA-MP nowadays their native language isn't English, if your server is strict RP not to many people who cannot speak English properly are going to bother to join your server as it's too confusing and complicated for them. For the DM style / Low-RP servers they're basically doing the same thing every other server is doing, you're competing with over hundreds of servers and you expect to be noticed over a few extra features.

Most RP servers I see created are either created because management is power hungry or they think a few special features will make their RP server the best ever, the problem is why join them when you can join hundreds of others that are already structured and have proven they are committed, and as mentioned "hundreds" of others. You can't really compete with them if you're basically doing the same concept.

I don't understand why you're asking where has unique roleplay gone, but you've emphasized in your entire thread the competence between two servers. You're leaving behind the argument the other servers which want to attract players. Obviously, most people think it's easy and they expect many players by putting a random script and publishing advertisements, like nobody has done it before. They don't know there's much more involved in that, and most of it is related to social aspects, your ability to attract a comunity, much like Calgon expressed.

I would say "who cares just join an already existing server" but I can't because I am making a project myself, because everyone can do it. But if you're going to do it, at least do it right.

Quote:
View Post
Yes but you're comparing too different concepts completely. One is a DM server with a RP features that is clearly pay 2 win, another is a actual role play server.

Why do I personally think NG-RP lost so much? Well in 2010 to 2012 you need to remember there wasn't too many of the DM-RP style non-English servers around, nowadays most people rather play their native language server that has the same style GM and structure as NG-RP. I also personally think NG-RP has done quite a number of wrong-doings and they were bound to hit the fan sooner or later and run out of luck.

Why do I think RP servers that are being created nowadays aren't getting anywhere? Because I have noticed the English side of SA-MP is dying and most people who play SA-MP nowadays their native language isn't English, if your server is strict RP not to many people who cannot speak English properly are going to bother to join your server as it's too confusing and complicated for them. For the DM style / Low-RP servers they're basically doing the same thing every other server is doing, you're competing with over hundreds of servers and you expect to be noticed over a few extra features.

Most RP servers I see created are either created because management is power hungry or they think a few special features will make their RP server the best ever, the problem is why join them when you can join hundreds of others that are already structured and have proven they are committed, and as mentioned "hundreds" of others. You can't really compete with them if you're basically doing the same concept.
From (a currently outsiders) perspective that looks pretty accurate, but at the end of the day a roleplay server is a roleplay server - regardless of whether you get away with deathmatching or paying to win, if people roleplay on it and it's named as a roleplay server, then it's a roleplay server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNorton
View Post
I hope you understand your incompetence of reading because this topic is not about SA-MP dying but "unique roleplay servers" dying.
The main idea of this thread is about roleplay servers, but it is also a factor of "SA:MP dying".

This is getting pathetic, just play on the servers you like and enjoy your time on SA:MP while you can, we are not going to advance, but go backwards with all your negative thoughts.

If you don't like any servers, then go create your own. And if you fail to do that, then stop whining, because if you can't do it and satisfy your likings, then don't brag how shitty servers are.

If you alredy know what's wrong, then why don't you do anything about it? Instead of bragging for the rest of what is left of SA:MP.

It's just a game at the end of the day.

Unique RP doesn't always work out good because a lot of people aren't familiar with the script. Most people would join a server running a GF edit and instantly know most of the commands. I've seen people criticize a script before just because "it doesn't have x feature, but *RP server* has it".

Speaking of which, unique RP servers barely even exist anymore, because nearly every idea has already been put into production on another server before. Lumberjack job? Furniture system? Inventory system? Maybe those were unique in 2010, but not so much now...

Quote:
View Post
The main idea of this thread is about roleplay servers, but it is also a factor of "SA:MP dying".

This is getting pathetic, just play on the servers you like and enjoy your time on SA:MP while you can, we are not going to advance, but go backwards with all your negative thoughts.

If you don't like any servers, then go create your own. And if you fail to do that, then stop whining, because if you can't do it, then don't brag how shitty servers are.

It's just a game at the end of the day.
How about you read the thread and try to understand the purpose of it? It looks more like someone who owned a server is wondering why it didn't work out rather than having a go at SA-MP. It took me a while to figure this stuff out on my own and if I had some similar insight to the others in this thread back when I was screwing around making crappy servers it would've helped a lot.

It's a game, why don't you go enjoy it instead of posting here then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgon
View Post
SA-MP wouldn't be dead if the developers stopped maintaining it, just the server browser couldn't be used to find new servers. All servers would still be up and players would be able to play. Just like Windows XP - they can stop supporting it, but they can't stop it. (Well, unless there's a secret backdoor.)

Additionally, I think this is more of a discussion than a "wow, it's dead" topic.
I agree with both this and your earlier reply. The issue that most servers have is that community aspect. There are a lot of roleplay servers out there that could be considered one that could go to the top but without players, nobody will want to play.

Nobody wants to make that effort to stick with a community purely because of the script aspect as you stated. The problem is, if no servers are being generated: what happens when nobody wants to play the bigger servers anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by admantis
View Post
I don't understand why you're asking where has unique roleplay gone, but you've emphasized in your entire thread the competence between two servers. You're leaving behind the argument the other servers which want to attract players. Obviously, most people think it's easy and they expect many players by putting a random script and publishing advertisements, like nobody has done it before. They don't know there's much more involved in that, and most of it is related to social aspects, your ability to attract a comunity, much like Calgon expressed.

I would say "who cares just join an already existing server" but I can't because I am making a project myself, because everyone can do it. But if you're going to do it, at least do it right.
What other server should I mention? I can't simply compare them all. LS:RP as of right now is the highest played english roleplaying SA:MP server right now and NG:RP was once in it's place. I'm not really sure what the point was of this reply but if you're simply saying that I should compare more servers there's not much to compare

I see, I took the "title" a bit too serious. I just read the title, a part of the top and the bottom where it says roleplay servers are dying while surfing on a mobile device - And discussion about the "death of SA:MP" over and over is really disturbing. Sorry for any confusions, the title has nothing to do with the main purpose of the OP's generic idea, and what would be discussed on this thread - I should have read the whole post, sorry about that.

Alright, let me contribute to the topic:

How people spend their time on SA:MP and scripting a server in general has changed, mostly everyone wants a server, because their liking is like never satisfied with what is already provided on the existent servers, or because they do not have a chance to stand up against others on some big servers, or because the competense on the already established servers is almost null with zero updates (a very good example would be littlewhiteys' server), or because you want to see something else on it, or just because they want a server to just have one. And starting to script a server now and before is also different. The one who is involved in the main development of a new server will be usually always "busy" with in-real-life things, while this matter encourages them to use a downloaded gamemode or extend the time of the server's initial release or either causes the development to be suspended, or even no longer continuance.

Staff positions have outstandingly surpassed a practical server and its features, and that is all that matters to people now, usually to new users.

But at the end, what destroys servers' reputation are its members itself. If you visit like almost any server on SA:MP, there will be people which are extremely difficult to deal with and will give you zero respect whatsoever. But for the leader/owner to do the same, just strips the entire server off, encouraging their own members to leave and start their own server, and repeat the cycle with either a gamemode off of this very own forum or by creating one which takes another year or two for its initial release. This is most likely focused on newly released servers.

You also have to put your part into it too, I'm pretty sure most of the users here, if not all, has never even heard about your server, spread the word out. Just like mostly everyone here knows LS:RP.

Don't compare yours to others, just go with the flow, make the gamemode with your own spicy style, and keep trying. If you cannot get your server up there, then you must be doing something wrong. If they can do it, then anyone can. Life isn't easy, you don't always get what you want.

People are always bringing up and talking about other servers too, you're just encouraging people to give those servers a try and spreading the word out there for them, and they don't even have to do a single thing to get their server known world wide.