VPS Requirements?

Hello guys, i have a 512mb VPS and i'm hosting a Roleplay server with a quite heave script. When i reach 40+ players, the server starts lagging.. Is it normal? Do i need to upgrade the VPS's Ram? Or do i need to clean up some junk in scriptfiles?

Yeah, 512RAM is really on the low-end for a populated server.

I would run some diagnostics though, first, i.e task manager for Windows - it should be obviously maxing out (or closely maxing out) in RAM when the lag is happening/you have a lot of people.

I do think 512mb RAM is really low though for a populated server - We run on a 8gb 4 core dedi (which is TOTAL overkill) fine, but when we ran on a 2gb VPS we often had RAM/CPU issues, mostly because our script is SQL based and having all of that on a lowly VPS does nom RAM and CPU.

Better to upgrade VPS to 1gb ram atleast or 2gb..

Have you even tried to see what exactly might be causing it? For all you know your network could be choked and once you start hitting a certain required mark for the network it starts choking you out. Your SAMP server could be using too much CPU, very highly doubtful on the RAM part unless you have mySQL installed and not configured properly / plugins installed.

My suggestion is grab a test file that is either in the same DC as the one you're hosted under or in the same city and run a test downloading it, you should make sure you're getting at least 1MB per/second speed. If at any time it goes below 1MB than clearly your network on the server hosting the VPS is choked and unable to handle a SAMP server.

Next thing as stated if you're using linux use the "top" command and monitor your SAMP servers RAM and CPU usage along with other services and make sure they're in range, if your SAMP server is using even over 50% of CPU resources at 40 players than you really need to work on optimizing your gamemode / removing any plugins that are not kept up to date.

If your VPS is a windows VPS than yes you clearly need to upgrade from 512MB of RAM but as a linux VPS there should be no problems especially at 40 players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake187
Посмотреть сообщение
Have you even tried to see what exactly might be causing it? For all you know your network could be choked and once you start hitting a certain required mark for the network it starts choking you out. Your SAMP server could be using too much CPU, very highly doubtful on the RAM part unless you have mySQL installed and not configured properly / plugins installed.

My suggestion is grab a test file that is either in the same DC as the one you're hosted under or in the same city and run a test downloading it, you should make sure you're getting at least 1MB per/second speed. If at any time it goes below 1MB than clearly your network on the server hosting the VPS is choked and unable to handle a SAMP server.

Next thing as stated if you're using linux use the "top" command and monitor your SAMP servers RAM and CPU usage along with other services and make sure they're in range, if your SAMP server is using even over 50% of CPU resources at 40 players than you really need to work on optimizing your gamemode / removing any plugins that are not kept up to date.

If your VPS is a windows VPS than yes you clearly need to upgrade from 512MB of RAM but as a linux VPS there should be no problems especially at 40 players.
What command for that in putty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0B3Y
Посмотреть сообщение
What command for that in putty?
you simply type top that's it, should show you CPU usage / memory usage from all running services.

Edit:
To test your network speed I looked around for closest test files and found these

http://speedtest.singapore.linode.co...-singapore.bin
http://sng.hawkhost.com/100mb.zip

so what you need to do on putty is
At least one should download at 1MB per second.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
My suggestion is grab a test file that is either in the same DC as the one you're hosted under or in the same city and run a test downloading it, you should make sure you're getting at least 1MB per/second speed. If at any time it goes below 1MB than clearly your network on the server hosting the VPS is choked and unable to handle a SAMP server.*

*or your home internet is just pure crap.

I don't really know how you put up with top, I prefer htop which just has sweet colors to show what is and what is not important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime
Посмотреть сообщение
*or your home internet is just pure crap.

I don't really know how you put up with top, I prefer htop which just has sweet colors to show what is and what is not important.
Well since hes on a VPS I don't think it's his home internet that's crap if his server is lagging for everyone at least but I do admit the host hes using is pure crap. Their dedicated servers only offer 5mbps internationally if you're outside their countries zone area, so I'd assume it's the same for their VPS. I think the OP needs to really consider getting a VPS in Australia or something.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Well since hes on a VPS I don't think it's his home internet that's crap if his server is lagging for everyone at least but I do admit the host hes using is pure crap. Their dedicated servers only offer 5mbps internationally if you're outside their countries zone area, so I'd assume it's the same for their VPS. I think the OP needs to really consider getting a VPS in Australia or something.
Wait.. I'm reading the thread again and again.. who is his dedicated server provider?

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
you simply type top that's it, should show you CPU usage / memory usage from all running services.

Edit:
To test your network speed I looked around for closest test files and found these

http://speedtest.singapore.linode.co...-singapore.bin
http://sng.hawkhost.com/100mb.zip

so what you need to do on putty is
At least one should download at 1MB per second.
I've tried to download it and the result are 5.10mb/sec... But the bad news are, i think its ran out of memory...
Код:
Mem:    511036k total,   499564k used,    11472k free,   120312k buffers
Swap:   523256k total,    59520k used,   463736k free,   152936k cached