What did you learn from SAMP?

For some time already I could not be bothered anymore to play on my last favorite server around, which was Lawless RP. I've been in SAMP since I joined the server of the Dutch GTA community in 2009, then dedicated most of my time to roleplaying in SAMP. I started at SARP, then NGRP after SARP split up, then HZRP and then Lawless. In the meantime I was hanging around at smaller servers, doing admin work, leading factions, being part of factions, having fun in general.

I still remember how I carefully smuggled weapons in my first days, a nerve-racking experience because I was afraid of the LSPD to arrest me and take away my illegal stuff. Getting shot at happened every now and then and I just loved the idea that you had law enforcement at one side, gangs at the other and civilians in between... Good times..

I obviously had activity drops in SAMP but lately I really cannot be arsed to play it. Playing the same server the whole time is getting boring but starting at another server just to start from scratch doesn't appeal to me either..

Then I look back at what I learned, I learned;
- How to script (been involved in development in a few servers, including paid positions)
- How to admin unbiased and leave frustration at the door
- How to manage people, mainly by leading factions or various departments within admin teams
- And a hell lot more

In this time in SAMP I also had some servers, in 2010 I had something called Future Life Roleplay or whatever crap name I gave it, using a hijacked SARP script. If I am not mistaken I was the very first server to "refund" players in terms of giving them stuff they had in another server.
After that I had a few other, mainly Python RP, Python RP 2 and some other server of which I forgot the name. The most succesful one was Python RP(2), peaking up to 60 players daily.

The depressing thing is just that by looking back at these days I did a hell a lot wrong. I gave the wrong people the wrong tasks, I trusted the wrong people and I focused on the wrong things.
I can safely say that if I would spend the time, dedication and money I would be capable of setting up a good, decent server. It's just that I don't have the time to do so..

So.. What did you learn in SAMP?

Basically the same thing as you did, minus the mistakes. I ain't perfect, but I got the chance to learn who to trust, and how to treat people before joining the community.
SA-MP just made me do the social part a lot better. Besides that, the usual. Scripting, mapping, moderating, etc.

I learned alot of things. I learned management skills that I couldn't learn anywhere else, I learned how to type well, and I learned how to control anger and have patience with people, I learned judgment skills.. Who not to trust, who to trust, and much more. All in all, I joined SA-MP in 2010, and I've learned quite alot, and I hope to learn even more.

I learned to deal with ten year old kids that have nothing better than to do but hack, DoS and blah blah. If you can be a owner of a community and put up with SA-MP, my friend you can be anything in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaze
View Post
I learned to deal with ten year old kids that have nothing better than to do but hack, DoS and blah blah. If you can be a owner of a community and put up with SA-MP, my friend you can be anything in life.
Oh yeah LOL almost forgot that

Catching hackers, great times

I've pretty much grown up with SA-MP in my life. I've gained skills that I never thought i'd gain, met some great people along the way!

I've also learnt how to deal with complete idiots who have no idea what they're doing.

Just wonder how my life would be if I didn't download SA-MP back in 2009.

scripting.... modding community.. songs from gta radio.. mostly, samp got me interested in scripting in other languages except pawn (which is like c) and possibly design games in the future

pawn scripting, algorithms, logical etc.

I learned a lot when I play SA:MP for 7 years. Some admin experiences to catch hackers, taking some screenshots to report it in forums, messing some admin commands (power abuse) when I was still new to the admin things, reporting rule breakers, and also making friends and enemies are the most common experiences I got in every server I played at. But it's fun hanging around with friends and messes with enemies. But the most interesting thing I've ever tried in is to become the CO - OWNER of 1 server. Then I realized that managing the players are more important than playing. They need someone who's active, caring, and responding to any questions they will throw at me when they're new and clueless of how to play this server. It's fun though when you got communities and friends to hang out with. Too bad I didn't learned how to PAWN script, algorithms, and modding communities. But I know how to map somehow despite of my difficulties in scripting, using algorithms, etc.

SA:MP was and is the start of a bright future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickAttack
View Post
Now that's how you do it.

English

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickAttack
View Post
exactly

before i played samp i was on mta dming n some stuff with my friends, and even beforethat i was 24/7 on steam
been playing samp for 3-4 years now and it has improved my english, made me learn scripting

oh boy, i remember the first time i tried to play, i kept switching servers and didnt understand a single word until i joined horizon gaming i think where i met a dutch guy and i decided to stick around there. kept drivingaround in cars watching people roleplay, copy their roleplay and change couple words, i got banned from there for some bs reason and so i decided to join another server named san andreas roleplay
from there i somehow managed to meet an irl friend of mine and ever since ive been sticking to roleplay servers

SAMP definitely helped expanding my vocabulary and improve my English in general. Compared to high schoolers in my country, I have by far one of the best English progressions without even learning. I definitely dont regret playing SAMP lol

Mostly english haha.
But I'd say that sa-mp is more than a game

My time in SA-MP (since Late 2011):

-> Learned how to roleplay and what it is
-> Learned Pawn, which made learning C languages slightly easier
-> Learned GTA:SA wasn't dead
-> Learned there are updates once every 1.5 years
-> Learned that big servers are greedy
-> Learned who to trust
-> Learned administration and management skills
-> Learned that this is also just a game and is not to be taken seriously

-> FUN Learning - Playing while learning how to script
-> English -
-> How actually VPS work
-> How to be leader
-> How to saying good word

I've learned to only trust certain people.

I learned how to map and script. There are probably many more things I learned, but those are the most important to me :P

How to type properly, lmao..