[Tutorial] Actors!(0.3.7 RC6)

If we can only set the virtual world of an actor, does this mean an actor is present in every interior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddos
View Post
If we can only set the virtual world of an actor, does this mean an actor is present in every interior?
Yes.

Love this update, very good addition.

Can anybody think of any good uses for damaging / killing actor's? I want to implement something where killing the actor is involved but can't think of anything good since they'll just be static.

Perhaps if a player is robbing a store and they kill them they can get more items; and take thing's such as money, keys to restricted areas, whatever.

How set nick to actor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oficer
View Post
How set nick to actor?
Unlike NPCs, they do not have any name by default. You can assign one using arrays. If you want their name to be displayed, you can use 3DTextLabels.

I've been looking to play around with actors actually. But there's some things I'm wonderring, like how does the script check if it's an actor? Like you know how we have "IsPlayerNPC", I need something that checks if it's an actor for what I have in mind with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Dixon
View Post
I've been looking to play around with actors actually. But there's some things I'm wonderring, like how does the script check if it's an actor? Like you know how we have "IsPlayerNPC", I need something that checks if it's an actor for what I have in mind with them.
You can't interact with actors as you do with NPC. Actors have reserved functions and cannot be affected by others (unlike NPCs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayrion
View Post
You can't interact with actors as you do with NPC. Actors have reserved functions and cannot be affected by others (unlike NPCs).
(( Adding some information ))

and Actors work differently per client. This means that they may be at a different position for one player and at a different position for another player. Like you can push them etc.

NPCs act like a client.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayrion
View Post
I did get the actors "Interactive", in my own way. Basically walk up to them and press H, and the script does the rest of the work. They don't do what an NPC can do but at the same time I don't have the money to be able to get a server that can hold 250 NPC's. So replacing them with Actors is really my only option, even if I streamline them down to basics. But this person about how they spawn answerred one of the issues I seem to be having at the moment