Need some advice

Ask your management and your fellow admins. Only they know the ins and outs of your rules and your bespoke anti-cheat (presuming you have one) and they are in the best position to mentor you. Ask for a mentor. An experienced admin there should be glad to do it.
Asking such things on a forum open to the public, with users that think admin is the name of a new popup-blocker, probably isn't the most productive way to get the advice and guidance you seek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapersky™
View Post
-some typing-
What if there are no such commands? What if there are no such features? Not being a shitbag, but how would you teach someone by just telling them things which might be not possible on his/her server. That is a wrong way to explain. A good explanation would be if you would have actually explained it properly, not just telling him use /this or /that command. That's quite wrong.

OT: I don't really know why a popular server would hire someone who doesn't know nothing. To be honest, when I was first made admin on a server, I had no idea what shit to do. But, you know what happened? I learned from it. I got the use of the features, got to have some training for other administrators, and taught myself some great things. You just get a hang of it, if you wish to. My advice is to stick to what admins higher-ranked than you say. You will probably get hang of it.

Also, one specific advice, never trust a player as an administrator, even your best buddy. You don't know how and when they would do something, which, you know, bams you in the head (Believe me, I've had this scenarios.)

And, that's all! Happy playing (PM me if you need personal advice.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSkyline
View Post
What if there are no such commands? What if there are no such features? Not being a shitbag, but how would you teach someone by just telling them things which might be not possible on his/her server. That is a wrong way to explain. A good explanation would be if you would have actually explained it properly, not just telling him use /this or /that command. That's quite wrong.
Mr.smart. I don't think, you've enough experience. That's not called: do /this or do /that. That's called procedures - and, I didn't explained some EXTRA-ORDINARY commands, the commands are common (ban, kick) - usually found in every server. Just the general reference. No-offense, but you actually doesn't wanted to reply this thread, but you tend to reply, because of my reply, to show that: I'm wrong. And yes, sorry, but you're being a shitbag (yes, ofc). I just gave him advice, ATLEAST. Not like other people - saying "YOU'RE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ADMIN" or shits.. atleast, I gave him advice, about what to do and when to do. No-need to say that it's fully wrong. It can be, but not fully, and if you find mistakes, or shits. Then, feel free to contact me, I'll correct that - simple as that. Not being a shitbag. Sorry, if it offended you, but yes, you're wrong, not 100% but yes, you're about my advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNab
View Post
Alright fellas, so, I've recently became an admin at a known, popular SA-MP server. And, I need some advice from veteran, super experienced and respected server administrators on how an admin should act and think. I don't ask you to tell me "be active, ban the cheaters" and simple stuff like that; every twat knows that, lol. Cheers and thanks for reading folks. (:
If a server manager hires a fresh material to their staff team, they are supposed to give training to this person. If they are actually not, we've got a problem right there. Giving a player the access to staff commands and procedures without explaining when and where they should be used is like taking a stray dog from the streets and dressing it up with a K-9 team vest and taking this doggy, forcing it to take role at a narcotics operation.

The server management should have trained you or atleast guided you at some point, they shouldn't have abandoned you saying "Here's your position, good luck with it now."

Ask them for help, if they are not willing to explain then atleast ask the other experienced staff members. However it is always better to ask the management itself because they are the ones who draw the thin lines of taking care of the duties. Acting on other's behalf can put you in trouble.

There are two ways which imply you to act in different manners and enforce rules of such server on certain players. One is being an administrator and the other one is being the server leader (owner).

Server owners will most likely be friendly to new players and troll/play (mess around) with their buddies (old members) only. Meaning that they will often (and they usually do) ignore new users with minor queries such as what is considered useless (not important) in any way possible, but they will be there for you when you need them for something worth wasting their time because they have and already passed a long time building up such server/community for everyone who uses such service, or they might even be bored of it and don't fell like using the service anymore. However, harsh punishments aren't applied by them without a prior notice first (but this depends on the user and how they are).

Once a player is promoted to the very least rank there is (trial moderator/ moderator), they feel very excited that they have been recruited to the staff team and they really want to check out the extra features they get access to on next session while being grateful to the one who promoted them and the ones which congratulated them. They are whiling to build their reputation up by being very active (probably more than they should be) and solving issues hosted by players, and they might even try to solve something they are not allowed to such as ban appeals. Once they get the ability to suspend or ban members they might (and often do) do it for minor queries as it makes them feel superior to others which they don't realize that they are just making others think that they are arrogant and a total bad person (trying to keep this clean as possible).

So now we are going to split the second division in two; new server admins from way back and new server admins from today. In older times people were more serious about their job (probably because this game was new back then) now they take it as a joke where they can do what they wish. However, some try but they just end up following the rest (not all), a crowd is something powerful that makes people follow others to fit in (it's alright, but in occasions it isn't).

So my advice to you is to do what you have to do by putting yourself in the position of the person that you are dealing with, don't just punish them for minor things, explain what they did wrong and give them a prior notice so that they don't do it again while next time they do it how it's meant to be done. But don't be too nice either, don't let everything slide off your grasp, if you have to imply a punishment, do it.

This is to be taken into general and future reference. Additions and editions are welcomed!

You should respect newbies in the server but you should not teleport to them and help them like helpers because this is the job of helpers, admins should use /PM.

BEST OF LUCK!!

This

Quote:

Don't be biased, if your friend did wrong punish him.
I suggest always staying calm no matter what the situation is, never get mouthy to a player but instead be kind even if disrespect is shown against you.

Just saying these things because many servers now-days have people that are biased, but yeah it all depends on your managers what they teach you and tell you how to do your work.

and

Dont be personal, be professional.
Punish ANYONE that breaks the rules.
Dont give anyone special treatment.
Help players at anytime, even if you are "busy".

BE UNDERSTANDING OF NEW PLAYERS AND GIVE THEM HELP AT ALL TIMES.

You can explain things in detail when helping such as "/rules will help you get to know the rules of the server, if you break them you will be punished."
Do not ignore anyone.
Take in suggestions from everyone and voice your own opinion, say if you think its good and why or if its bad and why.
Make suggestions,maps,scripts,gfx,videos for the server.
Do not take in bribes.
Dont be a jackass to people just because you are an admin, while admins have more power then the normal player their mission is to help new and normal players and kick rule breakers and hacker. Be kind and explain things that they dont understand, have patience.

You have to get players IN the game not kick them OUT.

Everyone is equal in front of the LAW, and LAW is being carried out by YOU,
Nobody likes a bad corrupt cop so be a GOOD COP OK? OK.

So you became an admin on a popular server without any admin knowledge/experience beforehand.

Rightttttt.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellize
View Post
So you became an admin on a popular server without any admin knowledge/experience beforehand.

Rightttttt.....
Seen it happen many times before... Why is it so hard to believe?

I don't know, why you people started blaming him. What's wrong if he wants some 'advice' not the 'guide to be a perfect administrator' or shit. Just look at the thread again; "And, I need some advice from veteran, super experienced and respected server administrators on how an admin should act and think. I don't ask you to tell me "be active, ban the cheaters" and simple stuff like that; every twat knows that, lol." He just wants some basic advices from veterans, and you guys are blaming him for no reason, that's shit.. Open your eyes, and stop blaming this guy. He doesn't want the full guide of being a administrator, or shit. He JUST NEEDS AN ADVICE, and I don't know why you guys turned into shitbags, instead of giving him a genuine advice.