Your story as a scripter.

Hi.

I've been recently scripting (I started about 3 days ago), of course I'm a beginner and this shit is hard to be honest. I just want to hear your stories about scripting and how has it affected you, or how did it feel in the beginning?

Beginning = Interesting
Later = Addicted

BTW, it's quiet easy if you take help via SAMP Wiki.

I started in 2010, I was temporarily banned from the server I played mostly on so I downloaded Godfather, edited it slightly and put it online as my server.

This great server, called Future Life Roleplay or something similar, had the maximum player count of 5 or something, lol

Anyways, after that I started learning more. I used the same script, tested out some of its features and then went in the script to see how stuff worked. I learned by editing stuff, then adding stuff based on other parts of the script (like copying a /makeadmin command, just to use it to make somebody a helper), into scripting new parts out of the blue. Now I am capable of much, much more.

In August 2014 I enrolled in computer engineering at university which involed mainly projects in Java, SQL and C#. I was pretty good with it but I recently stopped because I don't really like it and I don't really see myself doing programming for a living.

After I started to learn scripting my parents sent me to Africa where I raised with the Konju tribe and we invented the first pc, we called it "Macintosh" and sold everything for 5x more than the norml pc with the same parts.

OT: It became my job.

First it was a pain, I gave it up, then it became somewhat interesting, then I started a community and put countless hours into it, now it's more of something that can be fun to do every once in a while, but there is a lot better things to do

I have to say when SA-MP started i checked the pawno scripting (as beginner) and yeah i didn't know everything at all. But now i kinda borred scripting (i dont see the point at all)! Scripting is not fun than playing to a server.

Beginning: Kinda Amazed
In The End: I found PAWNO useless + borring!

scripting is the easiest thing in the world

You don't learn this shit in a few hours, you know.

Unfortunately I made the beginner's mistake of starting with the Godfather. Only much, much later I realized how horribly it was written. The entire strtok code copied in every single command. Horrible.

And yet still its legacy lingers on, and not in a good way. Still people are using IsPlayerConnected in commands and other such nonsense, even though that age old bug was fixed in 0.1b or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Посмотреть сообщение
You don't learn this shit in a few hours, you know.

Unfortunately I made the beginner's mistake of starting with the Godfather. Only much, much later I realized how horribly it was written. The entire strtok code copied in every single command. Horrible.

And yet still its legacy lingers on, and not in a good way. Still people are using IsPlayerConnected in commands and other such nonsense, even though that age old bug was fixed in 0.1b or so.
No doubt. GF is actually one of the shittiest scripts that exists. There's indentation, commands that dosen't work, stupid functions that ain't even nesseccary etcetera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeiT
Посмотреть сообщение
First it was a pain, I gave it up, then it became somewhat interesting, then I started a community and put countless hours into it, now it's more of something that can be fun to do every once in a while, but there is a lot better things to do
Same here haha