samp-npc issue

Hello guys!

So, I`m using a VPS to host my server. The VPS is based on Windows Server 2008 OS.
However, I am sharing the VPS with more people, therefore I have to take security measures.

In order to protect my server files from getting leaked or removed I installed an application untitled "Folder Lock". It basically uses a master password to lock a folder, so it will be invisible for other user profiles, or even your profile. To access the folder, you have to login thought application`s interface.

So far, the application runs pretty well, and it`s secured enough, however, I have an issue with it. Since I`m using it, it seems my samp-npc is not running while the folder is locked, as I`ve noticed the NPCs does not connect to the server anymore, despite the fact my "maxnpc" value is set to 10.

Do you have any suggestions on how to secure my files and run the server properly in the same time?

Edit: I`ve noticed recently the announce is not working too...

If you have to lock your folders to secure your files than your server isn't secure and you shouldn't be sharing your information with others, thats my honest opinion especially a VPS why not simply just provide a control panel with FTP access to avoid this kinda issue.

Anyways to answer your question I am assuming samp03svr is attempting to load the announce and samp-npc file but is unable too because the folder it's trying to access isn't granted actual permission since it's locked.

Well mate, I appreciate your answer, but you've posted what I already know...

The problem is that, we, a gaming community, have more games, SA-MP being one of them. Therefore, we are hosting more gameservers on the same VPS, everybody on his account (via remote control).
I trust my colleagues, but still, I don't want to risk.

Well, I've found a temporary solution. I'm opening the SA-MP server while the folder is unlocked, so it can interact with announce and samp-npc. I'm locking it back after startup, but I didn't test if announce still runs after. Last time when I checked, the server wasn't on the Internet listing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B
Посмотреть сообщение
Well mate, I appreciate your answer, but you've posted what I already know...

The problem is that, we, a gaming community, have more games, SA-MP being one of them. Therefore, we are hosting more gameservers on the same VPS, everybody on his account (via remote control).
I trust my colleagues, but still, I don't want to risk.

Well, I've found a temporary solution. I'm opening the SA-MP server while the folder is unlocked, so it can interact with announce and samp-npc. I'm locking it back after startup, but I didn't test if announce still runs after. Last time when I checked, the server wasn't on the Internet listing.
It needs to keep loading it so you're likely going to be unable to do that. A simple solution is as I told you use a control panel like TCAdmin or a free one there's a bunch of them which will allow those people to control their own servers without needing remote access and instead just FTP.

Also a easier thing to do would be to learn how to use the shell on Linux and host your servers that way because it's a whole lot safer than windows when it comes to granting shell access than remote access, but of course there's still a risk and the best solution in your case is as stated using a control panel and not even allowing any kinda remote access.

I mean I could only guess a hand full of people require the remote access because you can easily setup a FTP access for file access itself what exactly is very important enough that you need to lock your server files completely? Is your account files not under mySQL?

I suggest you create a separate account for your users and the users you make MUST be standard user. This is only way to protect your files and you must remove the lock then only you can access the files. (Although I don't think locking is a issue for NPC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartIndia
Посмотреть сообщение
I suggest you create a separate account for your users and the users you make MUST be standard user. This is only way to protect your files and you must remove the lock then only you can access the files. (Although I don't think locking is a issue for NPC)
>>>
Quote:

They still can read my files, no matter they are stand user or administrator.

@Jake:

Yeah, but the problem is that their gameservers do not run on Linux (Minecraft).
Anyways, so far my solution is working, the NPCs didn`t disconnect. But I'm quite suspicious regarding the announce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B
Посмотреть сообщение
>>>

They still can read my files, no matter they are stand user or administrator.

@Jake:

Yeah, but the problem is that their gameservers do not run on Linux (Minecraft).
Anyways, so far my solution is working, the NPCs didn`t disconnect. But I'm quite suspicious regarding the announce.
check for your servers IP on http://lists.sa-mp.com/0.3.6/servers for 0.3z and http://lists.sa-mp.com/0.3.7/servers for 0.3.7

Thanks man! I was searching for that link.