Custom Map

I've been doing a lot of debating about creating a light/medium RP server. I finally decided to start on it. Now, one big question for every new server is, where do you have it based from? I had picked a part of the map, then thought about maybe making a city, about 1/3 of the size of LS, that would support all different types of roleplay. Now, obviously the pros are that it would be unique, and it will be one of the only places on the map that is not Los Santos and can support all types of roleplay, in a smaller, more controlled environment. Everyone I am working with agreed with wanting to go ahead with this, but I want other's opinions too. Mapping an island like that can cause some people to lag who have a poor connection, high ping or not a very powerful computer, which is my biggest concern.

That being said, has anyone else tried this, what was its outcome, and if you have not tried it, what would your opinion on trying something like this be?

My opinion, I don't like custom maps for roleplay servers. Sure, it can be creative and unique but I feel as though it loses the GTA edge to it. I wouldn't know the map too well and it will put me off.

That's my view on it anyway, others may disagree.

Try to keep the island unique, less objects and simple. You might be able to get some players. I would prefer SA default map because I know it very well.

You might want to stay on the default SA map, but you can also try making your own one.

Here are some things that I suggest for a custom map. First of all, you should probably make the ground/base of the map solid (CreateObject, not streaming), which might make it a little more reliable. To make it accessible more, you can create gangzones as roads/buildings blabla. Believe me, it would make it more 'knowable' to the players and they will be able to find places more easily through their minimap. Next thing must be creativity and uniqueness. You should have a proper and realistic map which would be likely wanted from players. And yea', that's all from me.

But, as Lannister, a custom map will totally lose the game experience. Players wouldn't know it much, they wouldn't be able to use their map (unless you make a custom one, which would like player-side installation). So yea', both choices have cons, and pros too.

Well I planned on streaming all objects in, but when you say, spawn or exit a building it will set you to virtual world 1 and freeze you for a second or two to load all the objects and avoid vehicles falling through the floor.

Its hard to find somewhere that can support ALL aspects of RP and not be massive like LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeiT
Посмотреть сообщение
and freeze you for a second or two to load all the objects
I don't get why everyone does this, just use Streamer_UpdateEx to load dynamic objects when entering interiors and such, why would you freeze the player? That'll just annoy people.

If you want to map a completely custom map, you should make the ground normal objects, and use dynamic objects for the rest, to avoid vehicles falling through.
But yeah, even though it's unique, it doesn't mean it's good.
Every server wants to be unique, but it doesn't always need unique stuff, while uniqueness is cool to see, it doesn't really do too much good in the long run.

For the long run, having good features and systems should be the priority, as well as a good and professional staff team.
A lot of people just hire some random people as administrators that apply/ask for it, but that's bad to do in every way.

You should really know who you're hiring, and nobody who asks, doesn't put enough effort into his application, or ass-licks.
Etc. people saying "how are you" to staff, you should very rarely hire them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinC
Посмотреть сообщение
I don't get why everyone does this, just use Streamer_UpdateEx to load dynamic objects when entering interiors and such, why would you freeze the player? That'll just annoy people.

If you want to map a completely custom map, you should make the ground normal objects, and use dynamic objects for the rest, to avoid vehicles falling through.
But yeah, even though it's unique, it doesn't mean it's good.
Every server wants to be unique, but it doesn't always need unique stuff, while uniqueness is cool to see, it doesn't really do too much good in the long run.

For the long run, having good features and systems should be the priority, as well as a good and professional staff team.
A lot of people just hire some random people as administrators that apply/ask for it, but that's bad to do in every way.

You should really know who you're hiring, and nobody who asks, doesn't put enough effort into his application, or ass-licks.
Etc. people saying "how are you" to staff, you should very rarely hire them.
Yeah, I agree with you. I'm not looking for something unique, or to have the next best thing. I don't care if I have 10 players or 100, its more or less something fun for my friends and I. But, even with 100+ players, LS seems empty to me. I've used Red County in the past, but it just doesn't cut it for our needs. San Fierro is alright, but again, too big, and doesn't support gang-rp well. It's also a pain to map it and make it seem natural. However, based off all of your input, i'm thinking LS is still the best bet, though roleplay can be focused on certain areas.

I'm thinking to start out, base the roleplay more towards idlewood/ganton area. My way of thinking is that Idlewood does have a nice area, it can hold some businesses, and in all honesty, who can afford a house in Temple or other parts if a server just opened, unless of course, you gave them away or spawned people money

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinC
Посмотреть сообщение
YES! I hate when servers do this... I use Streamer_UpdateEx in OnPlayerSpawn before they are actually spawned. Also, a lot of people still haven't realised that players CAN see dynamic objects in class selection. All they have to do is use Streamer_UpdateEx where the camera is going to be.

On topic: I actually have a map right now that is the size of SF, a little bigger actually. I like the idea.

EDIT: I've been working on my map all day and now it is almost the size of SA all together. To be exact:
Код:
//Format   Center: X, Y, Z | Size: X, Y | Greatest/Least: LeastX, LeastY GreatestX, GreatestY
Center: -68.154, 56.518, 7.397 | Size: 5131.133, 4129.986 | Greatest/Least: 1788.786, -3342.347 2989.569, -1140.417

Mix it up Both the Original Map is Good but improving it is also a good idea adding little stuff makes a difference

Alright, the choice is obvious at this point. Thank you everyone!