These phishers are getting smarter..

This might be an useless thread, but well, deal with it.

So, yesterday I got a message on my phone from ****** of a verification code to recover my account, I checked my gmail immediately, nothing happened. Today, I got a phishing email from "******" that there was suspicious activity in my account, there was a link included, thank god I didn't click on it, the first thing I did was check the IP they said had accessed my account, it was fake. I checked the sender's email and it was from aol, I immediately reported it. Anyways, I'm saying they're getting smarter because it's an email you would expect to get after a verification code from ******.

Note: this is the first time I almost fell for a phishing email

Note2: if I was to click on the link, what's the most they could have done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
They can get your IP address(and similar data such as your location), and if you enter any information such as account details / phone numbers, they get that too.

After a brief ****** search with the information provided I've found this article among other relevant information:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4986510.html

Thats why i use outlook...safe and simple...didnt even get a spam messages in a long time...

EDIT: By they way i used gmail for a long time and moved to outlook few months ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFT_HUNTER
Посмотреть сообщение
Thats why i use outlook...safe and simple...didnt even get a spam messages in a long time...

EDIT: By they way i used gmail for a long time and moved to outlook few months ago...
Probably because gmail accounts can be easily found, and mass email'ed / spammed / phished.

Internet-rule #1: always check where a mail comes from
Internet-rule #2: always check where a link sends you to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onfroi
Посмотреть сообщение
First it confirms your mail address, putting you on their list for further and more personalized spam. Usually spammers just guess mail addresses, most mailserver got a "autocorrection" for their mail accounts, so they dont even have to find exactly correct addresses, they rather generate random ones and wait for someone to click the link or for the mailserver to bounce it back.
If your browser isnt safe or doesnt have the latest updates they might fetch some personal information as you load the page, but these infos arent really harmful. In the worst case they can use browser/plugin backdoor to do whatever they like with your computer. Usually the website is just asking you to enter personal information, bank data, passwords etc. If you enter that youre pretty much fcked of course.
But in general, as long as youre not using an outdated internet explorer, nothing at all will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauzen
Посмотреть сообщение
Internet-rule #1: always check where a mail comes from
Yeah, you're right. That ****** button is pretty convincing though.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
ur IP is there lel...
im also south african

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpSMaX
Посмотреть сообщение
ur IP is there lel...
im also south african
That's not his IP address, it's the alleged IP address of the person trying to log in to his account. It does tell you that in the picture.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
It will probably just lead you to a fake sign-in page which looks like Gmail but isn't.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Actually phishers are not getting smarter, they are just trying to fool people with some stupid methods. Nothing interesting in the screenshot, why should GMAIL team email you using mwill856@aol.com (sender's address)?
Before doing anything to the mail you receive, just check sender's email address.

Chill!

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Best part about that email is the IP lol