Force register or Non-Force register?

I've seen alot of servers using force register and many others use non-force register (they can register whenever they want). I've been thinking about it whether to use it in my server (mine is currently non-force register) but i wants to ask you people what you say cuz when i'm thinking about it i go blank and void. There's a poll up! please vote what would you choose.

Elaborate if you got anything to point out.

EDIT: Mine is not roleplay script.

I think a combination of the 2 is the best, but of course it depends on your server.

You could allow players to play on the server without registering, but their stats won't be saved and some functions will be restricted for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneider
View Post
I think a combination of the 2 is the best, but of course it depends on your server.

You could allow players to play on the server without registering, but their stats won't be saved and some functions will be restricted for example.
How could be a combination of two be possible? Either we should force the registration or let them play and register whenever they want. As a matter of fact we cannot avoid both.

Well: in some cases, non-force registration can lead to security exploits / security breaches, etc. So therefore I would recommend not going that route.

From the player's point of view it's better if they aren't forced to do anything. But from a programmer's perspective it's another matter. For example, I save bans in the database in the format: id x banned id y at time z for reason foo. The name and IP address are stored elsewhere. So, if a player isn't registered I don't have a value to put in id y and I can't put NULL there either. That's a problem.

Hello,
You will have to force them to register. Because there are many people those who don't know English language (in case if your server is in English Language) and they might think that there is no registration system in your server, etc. And because that players in your server might decrease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
View Post
From the player's point of view it's better if they aren't forced to do anything. But from a programmer's perspective it's another matter. For example, I save bans in the database in the format: id x banned id y at time z for reason foo. The name and IP address are stored elsewhere. So, if a player isn't registered I don't have a value to put in id y and I can't put NULL there either. That's a problem.
Thats true, i've been thinking the same. So i suppose you're also saying to force register.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondage
View Post
Thats true, i've been thinking the same. So i suppose you're also saying to force register.
As I mentioned previously: a very similar con of non-force registration would be having no values to put in say, a ban database.

So I really again want to emphasize from a security perspective; that non-force registration is a very, very bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abagail
View Post
As I mentioned previously: a very similar con of non-force registration would be having no values to put in say, a ban database.

So I really again want to emphasize from a security perspective; that non-force registration is a very, very bad thing.
Its just the force registration i wanna think about because i do have force login which detects the ban evader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondage
View Post
How could be a combination of two be possible? Either we should force the registration or let them play and register whenever they want. As a matter of fact we cannot avoid both.
Yeah sorry, i read your question wrong. I thought it was between yes or no registering and that's what I ment with 'both'. So: no forcing.