SA-MP server for ARM?

SA-MP Server for ARM processor?

I would like to know if the SA-MP team have thought about compiling the SA-MP server for ARM Linux anytime in the near future, and if they haven't, I would like to suggest it.

So here's why I ask:
It goes like this - I have a Raspberry Pi minicomputer (which is about the size of my hand), which would make a perfect SA-MP server (it comes complete with Ethernet, and can run various Linux distributions). I also have a server that I want to host, and while I get it up and running I don't want the stress of paying for hosting, hence I had the idea of hosting locally on my Raspberry Pi, which currently is sitting unused. I know that there would have been limitations to hosting the server locally, and I'm aware of them, however the idea of using the Raspberry Pi to host the server seemed too good to miss.

However it turns out that the Pi has an ARM processor, which is incompatible with the SA-MP server currently available (which is compiled for x86 processors), hence my idea for running a super cheap server locally would not work.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has had similar ideas regarding SA-MP, but has not been able to make them work because of the simple lack of support for their hardware platform of choice.

UPDATE
This is actually a non question. The SA-MP team will not be able to release either a x64 or an ARM version of the SA-MP server, because the pawn scripting language only supports x86 processor architecture.

What do you mean exactly? you can run the build on Linux using Wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zume
Посмотреть сообщение
What do you mean exactly? you can run the build on Linux using Wine.
You can't run programs made for a 64 bit computer on a 32 bit computer, however 64 bit computers [very fortunately] have legacy support for 32.

There is another type of computer processor, known as the ARM, which you will most likely find in your phone. It is also seen in various minicomputers, like the Pi I have in my inventory. ARM is often found in devices of small physical size.

What I mean is that my Linux minicomputer can't run a samp server on it because samp is compiled for 32 bit Linux hosts, but not for ARM Linux hosts. As far as my minicomputer goes, running the 32 bit samp server is as much a no go as running 64 bit software on a 32 bit PC.

The page you linked to (regarding wine) was for compiling pawn scripts on a Linux host. Compiling pawn isn't my problem here, getting a server that will run on my minicomputer's ARM processor is my problem.

Where did you get the idea that the SA-MP server doesn't work for Linux OS running 64bit? All you need is the 32bit libs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake187
Посмотреть сообщение
Where did you get the idea that the SA-MP server doesn't work for Linux OS running 64bit? All you need is the 32bit libs.
As he explained the PI has another processor architecture. Despite it uses Linux, you have to recompile anything for that architecture (even the used linux distibutions are especially compiled for ARM)
Its not about 32/64 bit, he also never said you couldnt run 32 bit executables on a 64 bit system, but the opposite.

Emulators like wine or qemu also wont work after all, because they are too slow. Ive already tried this with qemu on my pi, but stopped after some hours because it still didnt start.
I support that idea to get an ARM server (this isnt the first thread about that), just for the matter of experimentation, but I doubt that well ever get one.

Yes good idea i agree with you

I would rather want a native 64bit server .

The idea and concept is great due to the simplicity and capacities of the raspberry pi, like me i have a later model the b+ running the ARM version cpu and also the os is a modified Linux distro to run on ARM , however, the problem completely resides on the ARM CPU, however might be in future a release of Emulation for this sort of applications , indeed would be great the the dev team of sa-mp could compile a version for arm, that would open allot of possibilities for sure and allow many new experiments well if more people get involved in this like any good idea the dev team might consider it in future , also there are people working in some ways or running applications based on x86 and x64 in ARM Architectures.. So the future will bring this options for sure untill then we can talk and support he ideas and experiment with what we can find... also the pi is great for programming the little tinny box of wonders hahah as i call it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******
Посмотреть сообщение
Originally Posted by EnforcerDon View Post
SA-MP Server for ARM processor?

I would like to know if the SA-MP team have thought about compiling the SA-MP server for ARM Linux anytime in the near future, and if they haven't, I would like to suggest it.

Nope.
Lol Mister Cole.. But might not be a bad idea to experiment with these new platforms , non the less now days ARM is more present and the Android world is getting bigger, and other new architectures are around so we should evolve with the times, i know it undertakes a major under-work for the dev. team i am aware of that, however sa-mp it self is a proof of hard work ad commitment over the years of many people involved and ideas that at first seamed wrong or non-sense..

PS: Why not ?

What benefit would it bring? SAMP is a grown up and stable software made for live production environments. For testing you can use your PC, for public server you need a proper server. ARM? Well, there isn't a place for it.

If you want to experiment with that hardware you have thousands of programs to do so. SAMP is here for serious business.