MySQL or SQLite ?

Hello everyone

As the topic title says I want to know differences between MySQL and SQL, like wich is faster,more accesible,etc.. and if it's posible I want some explanations. Thanks in advance !

Check their topics.

MySQL and SQLite are somewhat related to each other. Both store in databases, but MySQL is online databasing, which means you can connect your database to your website, and do extra things such as live signatures/UCP etc. SQLite doesn't need an online database but cannot uphold the activities MySQL can.

Better look on their topics and read them, as you can choose only the one thing which suits you.

If you are not expert in SQL, and just want to store your player's data to db then just use SQLite, but If you are advanced SQL developer, and you understand relationships in MySQL or if you want to store and read items in/from DB with complex queries then use MySQL.

SQLite - If you are newbie, and just want to save some basic information of items from server
MySQL - If you are advanced (or newbie) and want to save items with their relations, use some extra filed like varchar.

And just to mention, if you want to make UCP or signatures, it doesn't matters if you are using MySQL or SQLite, or even file based

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeYouDo
View Post
Check their topics.

MySQL and SQLite are somewhat related to each other. Both store in databases, but MySQL is online databasing, which means you can connect your database to your website, and do extra things such as live signatures/UCP etc. SQLite doesn't need an online database but cannot uphold the activities MySQL can.

Better look on their topics and read them, as you can choose only the one thing which suits you.
Isn't it possible to make a live signature and UCP with ftp? Sure it is!

Posted by Y_Less:
I'd say SQLite for exactly the same reasons as those listed above! You are not running an enterprise server system distributed over hundreds of nodes with thousands of connections. You are running a SA:MP server, at that scale the features provided by SQLite are all you'll ever need...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus0
View Post
Isn't it possible to make a live signature and UCP with ftp? Sure it is!
FTP is a protocol not a web server.

I think he means that some people think the only way to make a User Control Panel connection is by using a MySQL database to connect things such as user data / information. He is saying that FTP could be used to load .ini data files, since server files usually aren't in the same directory as a webhost that would host said UCP.

In short, MySQL is the way to go for most things, but I'd say INI / or something else, if your not experienced with SQL. You should read up on them both throughly before using them in a server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanz
View Post
FTP is a protocol not a web server.
Ah I didn't know that, you are seriously smart

@Khanz If you make a page with Php you possibly can sync data using ini. There is a php function (ftp_connect) which let you to connect edit files, download, upload etc. Click HERE to see how you can edit files with php. If you host your server and website in one host (Maybe your VPS or Dedicated Host) and you don't have MySql database, you can easily use that function. In many host provider like GoDaddy don't give you free MySql database. You need to pay extra $. In that case if you want to make a live signature or UCP, ftp_connect is really helpful. Additionally, yes, it will be bit laggier than MySQl. If I suggest someone, I will go for MySQl for sure. Moreover, I can provide some scripts if you want to know more about php and ftp connection.

@Abagail How much $ do you need for 256-bit from GoDaddy to provide SSL?

The FTP protocol is easier, especially for new people to SQL.

You might even want to use both SQLite is pretty good for building dynamic systems in SAMP but you would probably benefit using MySQL for your user database.