Minibus on CAT B license (UK)?

Hey guys, long time no activity for me, anyway, I'm going to be driving in less than a year so I'm looking to find myself a vehicle..

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this, I want to drive a minibus with only 8 passenger seats on my CAT B license(when I get it), at 17? Is that possible? I've tried using ****** and other forums, nothing. This wouldn't be for hire or reward as it would be used as a private vehicle, obviously..

All the other sites show that I need to be 21 and have held my license for at least two years, but they don't mention having under 9 passenger seats, the law is so confusing

anyway guys, thanks

You're allowed to drive minivans/buses with just the B license if they're up to 8 passenger seats. Just keep in mind that the weight of the car does not exceed 3500kg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddos
Посмотреть сообщение
You're allowed to drive minivans/buses with just the B license if they're up to 8 passenger seats. Just keep in mind that the weight of the car does not exceed 3500kg.
perfect! that clears everything up! is this the same in all euro countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn
Посмотреть сообщение
As long as you're driving legally in your own country, if you travel elsewhere (as long as your insurance covers it), it's fine I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold
Посмотреть сообщение
As long as you're driving legally in your own country, if you travel elsewhere (as long as your insurance covers it), it's fine I believe.
awesome, thanks so much guys!

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Basically any country within the European Union use a same standardized version for the license with roughly the same characteristics. Since you're 17 however you might not be allowed to drive in countries where the minimum age is 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddos
Посмотреть сообщение
Basically any country within the European Union use a same standardized version for the license with roughly the same characteristics. Since you're 17 however you might not be allowed to drive in countries where the minimum age is 18.
Does that mean I commited a crime?

haha i could totally picture you in a minibus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj101
Посмотреть сообщение
haha i could totally picture you in a minibus
ahahah

Haydn - you cannot drive a minibus at all until you are 21 and held your cat b license for two years.

Minibus Laws have such a large grey area I deal with it all the time at work so your best bet would be contact the DVLA first to double check.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/driving-a-minibus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smally
Посмотреть сообщение
Haydn - you cannot drive a minibus at all until you are 21 and held your cat b license for two years.

Minibus Laws have such a large grey area I deal with it all the time at work so your best bet would be contact the DVLA first to double check.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/driving-a-minibus
For other european countries such as Norway you can

But he's from the UK and would have to drive in the UK to get to Norway lol

Depends on what he calls a minibus. If he's talking about, something more than 8 seats (as said), he can't. However, if you're hiring the bus (which you may be?), you'll struggle due to your age. If it's a friends, I'd check with the vehicle logbook/info as it'll state what kind of license is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold
Посмотреть сообщение
Depends on what he calls a minibus. If he's talking about, something more than 8 seats (as said), he can't. However, if you're hiring the bus (which you may be?), you'll struggle due to your age. If it's a friends, I'd check with the vehicle logbook/info as it'll state what kind of license is needed.
No, literally, buying a 17 seater minibus (or however many), taking seats out leaving only 8 passenger seats, telling the DVLA and getting it reclassified or whatever it would be called.

All that leftover space from the seat removal would probably make a GREAT 12v mini-kitchen!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersouse
Посмотреть сообщение
All that leftover space from the seat removal would probably make a GREAT 12v mini-kitchen!!
When I'm 18 I plan to drive it to India (yes I'm that crazy, and yes, it's possible) with a few friends and drive it back.
Putting speakers, small desk, everything inside it.

Haydn - I don't think you can drive a minibus anymore until you're 21. Regardless of the size.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
When I'm 18 I plan to drive it to India (yes I'm that crazy, and yes, it's possible) with a few friends and drive it back.
Putting speakers, small desk, everything inside it.
When the build is complete, post pics! I spent years 19-21 spending a lot of time in my conversion van (bed, fridge, sound system, strip lighting (and blacklights, of course!). Love making little mobile living spaces haha

Good luck!

Cars
Category B

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

You can also tow heavier trailers if the total weight of vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg.

You can drive motor tricycles with a power output higher than 15kW if you are over 21 years old.

Physically disabled drivers with provisional category B entitlement will also have provisional entitlement to ride category A1 or A motor tricycles.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersouse
Посмотреть сообщение
When the build is complete, post pics! I spent years 19-21 spending a lot of time in my conversion van (bed, fridge, sound system, strip lighting (and blacklights, of course!). Love making little mobile living spaces haha

Good luck!
fucking awesome man! yeah, will do! do you have any pics anywhere? I'd love to see