Community Server Review Site

So while I was browsing the forums and looking for a quotable quote to put on my signature, I came across an idea that I do realize has been done before. A SA-MP server review website. Now, I know what y'all are thinking. That this has been done countless times in the past bla-bla-bla etc.

But hear me out.

There's no way for us to discuss the servers here on the forums without it being borderline advertising. There's no way for us to plug our own servers on here unless it's on our signatures and on the advertisements section. I was thinking of having just the two of those into one website.

The structure of the site I'm thinking of is broken down into three parts.

The front page
This is where you'll be able to find the most reviewed servers of the x, the highest-rated servers of the x and the lowest-rated servers of the x.
x = week or month

The database
This will serve as the table of contents of the website in a sense. It'll be a list of all the servers that has been reviewed (or awaiting to be reviewed) on the site. There will be an option to filter the list. There will be different categories for servers such as DM, TDM, RP and etc.

The reviews
This will differ from server to server. There will be an option to submit your own reviews and an option to submit your server for reviews. There will also be a rating system for each criteria. I haven't decided on the criteria yet, but I what I have in mind is something like this:

Gameplay
How unique is the server's gameplay in comparison to the other servers in its category? How polished is it? If its a DM server, what are the mechanics of gaining a kill point? If it's a stunt server, how are the stunts on it? If it's a multiple GM server, you can submit a review for only a certain aspect of that server. Let's say you just want to review the TDM part of the server, you'll be able to do that as well.

Community
How is the community of the server? Is it composed of English-speaking people? Is it targeted for Russian players? Does it have an active out-of-game community such as a forum or a TeamSpeak server? Are the players friendly? Is the staff active in moderating the community?

Replayability
How is the server's replay value? Is it a one-and-done stunt server? Does it have many achievements that you can attain? Will the creativity of the players on the server keep you coming back to roleplay some more?

Availability
How is the server's donation/shop system? Is it a pay-to-win server? Are the shop items balanced and can be attainable through in-game means? Is the server full customizations that make it extremely unbalanced?

Each server will have its general info displayed before the review such as its population graph, category, website, server address and etc. Some extra info that could also be added are the server's general features, commands, systems, screenshots and language.

The reviews are going to be moderated and the same goes with server submission. For each of the criteria (or criterion? Idk), you will be able to rate it from 1 to 10. You can justify it in your review if you want, but the review is supposed to be a summary of your ratings.

Hosts
I might also add in a section where you can review SA-MP server hosts. I'm still working on the criteria (or -terion.. Tyrion?!) for that though.

tl;dr
A moderated review site where people can submit their own servers and/or write their own reviews. Kinda like Rotten Tomatoes, but for SA-MP.

Obviously, this isn't the final structure and hopefully you guys have suggestions for this idea. What are your thoughts?

this has came up loads of times back in the day and I think the only way it would be successful is if users could actually rate the server and not just moderators or admins because favoritism is always considered and than it just is never successful because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake187
Посмотреть сообщение
this has came up loads of times back in the day and I think the only way it would be successful is if users could actually rate the server and not just moderators or admins because favoritism is always considered and than it just is never successful because of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairyll
Посмотреть сообщение
tl;dr
A moderated review site where people can submit their own servers and/or write their own reviews. Kinda like Rotten Tomatoes, but for SA-MP.
It'll be moderated to filter out spam and reviews that contain foul language etc.

I would love to be involved in this idea. Please send a forum private message. I have been thinking about this idea for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairyll
Посмотреть сообщение
It'll be moderated to filter out spam and reviews that contain foul language etc.
Than good luck this has been done hundreds of times hopefully you will get lucky.

This has -NEVER- been done before

A few of us (dugi, ev0lution and I) started doing this a while ago but it got too difficult finding times when we were all available because of work, so we haven't posted in a while. We do plan to revive it sometime soon, we just don't have the time right now. http://reviews.base2gaming.com/home

Good luck with yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potassium
Посмотреть сообщение
A few of us (dugi, ev0lution and I) started doing this a while ago but it got too difficult finding times when we were all available because of work, so we haven't posted in a while. We do plan to revive it sometime soon, we just don't have the time right now. http://reviews.base2gaming.com/home

Good luck with yours!
That site is how I actually envisioned a part of my idea. Hopefully, it works out for the both of us.

Thanks!

9 of the 10 tries to start a server review site (whatever game you want) just doesn't go well. Owners are gonna give you in-game rewards for making a good review, people are gonna review one server 10 times (Tor Network new identity shizzle makes you anonymous and able to bypass 1 review per person per server) etc.

And you can say that you are gonna moderate everything, but people will find a way to make every review look legit while they are still from the same person. Also, if you get 500 reviews and you want to moderate all of them you will need around 25 trustable moderators.

I'm not trying to stop you, I'm just saying that you have to make a good plan about what you want and how you want it. You can't just make something like this in one single day.

P.S. It will be much easier if you use WordPress (with a custom theme ofcourse, but they got a moderator system already.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potassium
Посмотреть сообщение

Good luck with yours!
There is a difference between yours and Dairyll's tho. The difference is that on your website the moderators are the ones reviewing servers (however they're quite trustworthy on SA-MP) while on Dairyll's the reviews are membersided.

I think that both should turn successfully as both of them got their differences as mentioned above and I support your decision of making one Dairyll and would be happy to check it out!